Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Accord base with bluetooth. Car is a Hybrid but I think that makes no difference. I don't know if bluetooth is standard on all models. This is the first car I have had with bluetooth. The radio is the standard one for a 2017 Hybrid base.

So with cellphone in bluetooth and plugged in to the USB port, I get a phone call while driving on the interstate. I push the answer button on the steering wheel, and as soon as the connection is made this Bap-Bap-Bap sound starts coming from the speakers. Frequency about 2 or 3 Baps per second. Very loud; sound pitch very low. It is like someone is tapping a microphone with his finger like we do to verify a PA system is working before starting to speak.

The other person is there saying hello, but the noise is so loud conversation is impossible, so I say "cannot hear; I'll call back." I call back on bluetooth using the car's voice controls for call history. All is fine until the other party picks up, and then Bap-Bap-Bap. I hang up, turn off bluetooth, return the call, and the call is fine. (My phone and the other phone are apparently OK.) This noise is definitely coming from the car speakers, and I suspect active noise cancellation is associated with this problem.

I searched on the forum for other bluetooth phone noise problems and also for active noise cancellation noise trouble, and there are several discussions, but I cannot find the same problem that I had discussed. This problem is more difficult because next day I try to replicate the problem and it doesn't happen. Maybe it is a one-time gremlin, but more likely when all of the necessary conditions (what?) occur again, it will happen again. I read it is possible to turn off noise cancellation in radio options, but if I cannot replicate the problem that is not going to help. Perhaps I will have to wait for it to happen again, turn off noise cancellation, and then see if that fixes it.

I considered going to the dealer, and maybe I will, but the forum has so much more collective experience than a service writer at a dealership, I thought I would try here first. You know how dealers are about sometimes- sometimes not problems. If you cannot demonstrate the trouble and they don't have experience, they are not much help. If I knew more about this problem, I would have more to say to the service writer. I will definitely ask them to fix it when I have more to tell them. (Warranty)

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions, thoughts, etc.

·
2016 Accord LX
47 Posts
I am experiencing this problem using bluetooth to call from my Samsung S9 in our 2016 Accord LX. Problem does not occur all the time and the phone works fine on bluetooth in other vehicles.

Did the OP ever get a resolution or any advice from others?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have this same problem on an 2014 Accord LX. The "thumping" noise started as an occasional problem when using the hands free phone feature. I never had any problems streaming audio using the bluetooth. Now it has gotten worst. When the phone rings I get the noise even before I answer the call. I tried disconnecting the ANC wires from the back of the stereo. It seemed to work for a couple of calls but then the problem came right back. It is so bad now that if I disconnect all the phones from the car the sound will come back as soon as I try to search for a bluetooth device to pair. It makes the "thumping" noise even before I have a chance to pair a phone. That tells me it isn't related to the phone. If I ignore the noise I can still pair the phone. Then I can stream audio but I can't use it for any phone calls because of all the noise.

On the 2014 LX I don't see a separate bluetooth module. I looked for it when I disconnected the ANC wires. Does anyone know if there is a separate bluetooth module for this car? I know people have replaced the module on the 2013 Accords but the module isn't in the same place on my car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is an update for anyone experiencing this problem. It turns out the bluetooth module on the 2014 LX is a card inside the radio. I ended up ordering a replacement radio from ebay ($50) and swapping it out. It was a fairly simple procedure and it fixed the thumping noise during bluetooth calls.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is an update for anyone experiencing this problem. It turns out the bluetooth module on the 2014 LX is a card inside the radio. I ended up ordering a replacement radio from ebay ($50) and swapping it out. It was a fairly simple procedure and it fixed the thumping noise during bluetooth calls.
Which part is it that needs replacing? I have a 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid, and I get static everything I’m on a call through Bluetooth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Which part is it that needs replacing? I have a 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid, and I get static everything I’m on a call through Bluetooth.
I replaced the stereo head unit. The bluetooth module is a card inside the stereo. On other models there is a separate bluetooth module in its own box that can be swapped out. For my car it was easier to swap out the whole stereo. I don't think anyone even sells just the bluetooth card that's in the stereo.

I was not asked to enter a security code after I installed the replacement stereo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced the stereo head unit. The bluetooth module is a card inside the stereo. On other models there is a separate bluetooth module in its own box that can be swapped out. For my car it was easier to swap out the whole stereo. I don't think anyone even sells just the bluetooth card that's in the stereo.

I was not asked to enter a security code after I installed the replacement stereo.

Mine has the touch screen, so I wonder if I have a separate module?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts