Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey team, my 07 navigation just hit 140,000 miles and the front left speaker is starting to bleed.

I'm looking to replace the front and back two and possibly disconnect the front tweeters. (or replace as well if it's common practice)

My quandary is with the navigation screen. Does it output more wattage than the stock deck? and if so what 4 speakers should I pair with it, also should I use the stock wiring or rewire as well?

Thanks in advance for any input. I've been out of the car audio loop since my 04' Accord Coupe way back when.

Edit, Music I'll be playing 90% of the time is Electronic, 10% Classic Rock

·
Texas Ground Pounder
1,352 Posts
The 07' shouldn't be much different from the 04'. From what I have read, the factory radio is 120 watts. Doesn't matter if it's Navi or non Navi. So that works out to 30 watts per channel. Now I'm sure that's peak. Not RMS. The speakers from what I understand are only rated at 20.

The fronts are 6.5" and the rears are 6" x 9". Your best bet is to visit a local audio shop and find a brand that best suits your listening preference. Unless you plan on adding an amp, be sure to have them demonstrate them to you with radio power only. If their demo boards are wired correctly, they should be able to let you hear them with or without amplification.

Everyone is going to be different on opinions for brand to use. Right now I'm using Infinity with the hopes of someday upgrading to a set of Soundstreams I've got. However, you need to be cautious of the mounting depth. You have to worry about clearing the glass in the doors and the trunk springs in the back.

As for wiring, if you stick with radio power only, you don't need to upgrade wires. You can use the stock ones. UNLESS you do replace the front door speaker AND dash tweeter with components like they are now. If you do this, the new components will have a passive crossover which will need to be used. In that case, you will need to cut the wire that leads to the door, wire it to the crossover, then run the outputs for the mid and tweet to each speaker. If you add an amp however, you may need to boost them up just a little.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the detailed and quick response! I do realize the speaker selection will all be open to interpretation dictated by isolated incidents.

As far as adding an amp, is there anyway to hook it to the nav unit? I know back in 2012 when I was playing around with this configuration, Nav accords were pretty screwed in this aspect and pretty much had to stick without an after market amp. I do remember a certain device made by JL that acts as a communicator between the amp and stock nav unit to allows setting configuration and peak power reach.

Is this the case or have you heard of a success story between aftermarket amp to stock nav unit?

Thanks!

·
Texas Ground Pounder
1,352 Posts
Put it to you this way. I have NAVI. When I had mine ran with amplification, I used a Rockford Fosgate 360.2. Now the reason I ran this is to help maintain low frequencies for a subwoofer. It also allowed me to adjust the response curve. You don't have to go this route. Especially if you are just going with mids and highs. The radio is designed to decrease the lower frequencies as you increase the volume. Again, doesn't matter if it's the NAVI or non Navi unit. This is done to help prevent you from blowing out the speakers since they are not designed for high power low frequency. Do you "require" one of these signal processors to run with an amp? No. Is it helpful? Yes. If you don't want to spend high money on a processor you can simply use a line out converter.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,577 Posts
Thank you for the detailed and quick response! I do realize the speaker selection will all be open to interpretation dictated by isolated incidents.

As far as adding an amp, is there anyway to hook it to the nav unit? I know back in 2012 when I was playing around with this configuration, Nav accords were pretty screwed in this aspect and pretty much had to stick without an after market amp. I do remember a certain device made by JL that acts as a communicator between the amp and stock nav unit to allows setting configuration and peak power reach.

Is this the case or have you heard of a success story between aftermarket amp to stock nav unit?

Thanks!
The 7th Gen Accords were completely different than the 2012s. You cannot compare them. The 7th Gens do not have an external amp, nor do they have differential balanced wiring as found in the later models with premium sound. You can easily add an amp with line out converters. When I had my 2003 Accord, I replaced the speakers with two-way JL Audio 6.5" in the doors and three-way JL Audio 6x9" in the rear deck. Since you do not have the 6-speed manual transmission, you have 'fake' tweeters in the dash. They are wired off the front channel with a frequency cap. You can leave them in place because the front door speakers receive a full range signal. The JL Audio speakers are rated for good sound at low wattage, so they are a perfect replacement if you decide not to install an amp.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm looking to replace the front and back two and possibly disconnect the front tweeters. (or replace as well if it's common practice)

Edit, Music I'll be playing 90% of the time is Electronic, 10% Classic Rock
Hey Gavin,
I am a music lover and I like to hear that electronic bass, I installed the JBL 660c in the doors, like this.

I just drilled a couple of small holes in the sail panel and bolted the tweeter mounts in with some 3mm nuts and bolts I got from work.
The JBLs in my car always have plenty of bass, crisp midrange and up-front highs.
Adding the JBL p963 6x9 speakers in the back deck was easy, it's most likely easier in a sedan than the coupe. and it's wasn't necessary to add a sub.
Edit: I disconnected the Honda dash tweeters, so there wouldn't be that extra load on the factory HU.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 7th Gen Accords were completely different than the 2012s. You cannot compare them. The 7th Gens do not have an external amp, nor do they have differential balanced wiring as found in the later models with premium sound. You can easily add an amp with line out converters. When I had my 2003 Accord, I replaced the speakers with two-way JL Audio 6.5" in the doors and three-way JL Audio 6x9" in the rear deck. Since you do not have the 6-speed manual transmission, you have 'fake' tweeters in the dash. They are wired off the front channel with a frequency cap. You can leave them in place because the front door speakers receive a full range signal. The JL Audio speakers are rated for good sound at low wattage, so they are a perfect replacement if you decide not to install an amp.
Sorry for the confusion, I meant in 2012 when I was looking at configurations for my 2004 Accord. I'm leaning towards four JL's and no amp. Keeping it cheap because I'll realistically only drive her another 2 years.

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Gavin,
I am a music lover and I like to hear that electronic bass, I installed the JBL 660c in the doors, like this.

I just drilled a couple of small holes in the sail panel and bolted the tweeter mounts in with some 3mm nuts and bolts I got from work.
The JBLs in my car always have plenty of bass, crisp midrange and up-front highs.
Adding the JBL p963 6x9 speakers in the back deck was easy, it's most likely easier in a sedan than the coupe. and it's wasn't necessary to add a sub.
Edit: I disconnected the Honda dash tweeters, so there wouldn't be that extra load on the factory HU.
Very nice! I'll consider that route and for sure I'll disconnect the front tweeters. Do you think the JBL p963 would be a better fit for the stock Navi opposed to the JL's?

Thank you!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well actually, I didn't realize the JBL's would be so cheap.

I might get an amp after all. So just to clarify, I can get a line out converter and still use my stock NAVI unit to change XM stations and swap to AUX/CD right?

I'm assuming I keep the NAVI on flat EQ settings and control them from the AMP.

(Sorry, I'm really slow when it comes to car audio)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts