Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking to install my already owned subwoofer and amp (brand new but never installed for 3 years) yet there are no custom boxes out there for an 07 accord ex. i wanted to put one in the cubbyhole of the trunk on the drivers side nearest to the brake lights... but there isn't one available.

so i stumbled upon a thread by hillstones and thought about it but now i am thinking of just upgrading the speakers all around.

his thread: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33700

my question: do you recommend replacing all the speakers (JL Rules!) or adding a sub? i listen to alot of blues and classic rock so the sub may not be 100% needed. not a big rap fan, just wanted something to add to the car speakers themselves without any expense...

your thoughts?

also how do you determine which HU you have? whether the premium or the standard HU? info doesn't seem to be in the book. do i just call honda with my VIN?

thanks!

·
Banned
259 Posts
I would replace the speakers instead of adding the subs. First there is more trunk room, and I think you would like to listen to music instead of bumps in your trunk.

·
Registered
26 Posts
why not do both - speakers and sub? It isnt too hard to make your own enclosure for a sub. Or you can just get a generic enclosure (not specific to your accord) and secure it any way you please.

I upgraded to the same speakers as hillstones and then added a powered sub because it allows me to play my music louder and have the sub handle most of the bass without distorting the speakers. My having the spekaers handle less bass it also cuts down on the door vibrations.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why not do both - speakers and sub? It isnt too hard to make your own enclosure for a sub. Or you can just get a generic enclosure (not specific to your accord) and secure it any way you please.

I upgraded to the same speakers as hillstones and then added a powered sub because it allows me to play my music louder and have the sub handle most of the bass without distorting the speakers. My having the spekaers handle less bass it also cuts down on the door vibrations.
i use my trunk alot more than usual so a stealth box thats out of the way would fit my needs but they dont make them for 07 sedan ex's... so just gonna sell my amp and sub on craigs and use that cash towards new 6x9s...

thanks for the suggest tho :thmsup:
III

ps... if the 6x9s dont do it for me i'll try again. how do you suggest securing a regular shaped box to the car?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've replaced the speakers with some Alpines and certainly could live without a sub...but what fun is that? Seriously, if you're not a bass hound and you seal up the doors and put some nice 6x9's you should be pretty happy with the overall improvement over the stock speakers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Which Alpines did you install. I was at car audio shop when I was out of town. I listened to JL, Focal and Alpines all thru after market hu and no amp. I thought the Alpines total blew the others away. But I did not get the model numbers. The shop price was about 125 for 6x9 and 175 for 6.5 with separate tweeter.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Which Alpines did you install. I was at car audio shop when I was out of town. I listened to JL, Focal and Alpines all thru after market hu and no amp. I thought the Alpines total blew the others away. But I did not get the model numbers. The shop price was about 125 for 6x9 and 175 for 6.5 with separate tweeter.
There are Type S (lower level) in Comps, Coax and 6x9 (I think). I put in the Type R (mid level) 6.5" Comps and Type R Coax 6x9's. Check out Amazon...you'll see them all listed. My son has the Type S coax in his truck and that's what made me look at Alpine (although I've always gone high end on speakers before) and I really love them. You can get the Type R comps for about $135 shipped and the 6x9's for about $95 shipped online. The Type R Comps have a crossover that needs to be used so its a little more involved than say a coax or the Type S coax.

There is the highest level...Type X, but can't see spending the money when the others do such a good job.

Other than the sound, one thing I like is the way the tweets went into the factory location with very little work. The 6.5 drivers went in easily with the Metra adapter. 6x9's straight swap. All in all, the easiest swap I've made...although I'm still adding the amp and sub once my wiring arrives. Let me know if you have any question...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Pilk. I believe that they were R type that I had listen to at a shop. I will check out Amazon. I have the premium stereo. A little more work with bypassing the factory crossover and then installing new Alpine crossover. Good to know that the tweets went in easy.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
I also recommend replacing the speakers. Here is the difference between stock and the Kicker two ways I used in the rear.

·
Stayin Classy...
630 Posts
RTexasF....Thats a perfect example.

I too recomend new speakers. I used to have Infinity components in the front and infinity kappa perfects in the rear with two infinity 12inch subs in my old car. It sounded pretty nice. But then I bought my honda with the premium sound. Putting more power to decent speakers is definetly a better way to go then adding pure base. Its not until you have tweeked your speakers perfectly (and not distorting them with base) that you should feel the need to get MAYBE one 500w 10 inch sub.

If you get a good pair of 6x9's they can throw a lot of mid range and bass. As well as adding two way speakers you will get better mid range and base along with highs to fill out the whole range.

The steps I usually recomend...
1. Replace speakers with stock radio
1a. This will give you a bit better frequency responce and efficiency

2. Add aftermarket radio
2a. This will increase the output power to the speakers to around 15RMS (stock is around 8)
2b. This will also give you more controls to adjust the sound quality

3. Add 4 channel amp for door speakes
3a. This will boost your wattage up to around 25w RMS per channel

4. Add one 10 inch sub and amp no more then 500w
4a. This will help remove some of the base from the speakers and send it directly to the sub. Now you can have the speakers focusing on the mid range more and the sub taking the low punches. A 10 inch sub is best for most people for the drum beats and fast base.

5. Add a 12 inch sub
5a. A 12 inch sub is large and moves a bit slower. They are usually good for rap songs with low thud like sounds.

·
13,917 Posts
I chose to go a different route. I wanted to stay with the stock 6 disc headunit but clean up the sound. I went with a JL Audio Cleansweep with that signal sent to the amp, and replaced four speakers. My thought being, when a thief looks in the car it's a Honda radio.....no reason to break in, and the sound is (was, I traded it in) simply outstanding. I added the sub later to fill in. Budget set the pace.......first I replaced the speakers and added some sound proofing, then came the Cleansweep, then came the amp, and last the Bazooka. Once complete the sound was outstanding for my taste. I demand clarity not boom boom.

·
Stayin Classy...
630 Posts
Whats clean sweep? Equilizer? cross overs?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Digital sound processor, IIRC.
Can't upgrade without the lows...if you could, they'd stop making subs!
Just get a little 10" tube...easy to take out when you need to and it's effecient enough to produce lows you'll hear up front. Or a 10" in a shallow box screwed into the back seat (with a grill for protection of speaker).
IMO, you go for it, or you just jam out stock.

·
13,917 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
i use my trunk alot more than usual so a stealth box thats out of the way would fit my needs but they dont make them for 07 sedan ex's... so just gonna sell my amp and sub on craigs and use that cash towards new 6x9s...

thanks for the suggest tho :thmsup:
III

ps... if the 6x9s dont do it for me i'll try again. how do you suggest securing a regular shaped box to the car?
Any competent stereo shop should be able to build a box to fit your needs.

·
Registered
302 Posts
This isn't going to be the sexy answer but properly sound deadening a car goes a looooong way. The stock stereo in the new Accord Coupes is so-so but if you deaden that car properly it gets a LOT better. Truth be told I thing sound deadening, and I don't mean slapping some Dynamat here and there, is one of the best upgrades that can be done. It can be done for a reasonable amount of loot and some hard work on your part but it's well worth the effort. Truthfully after I stripped mine and deadened it the stock stereo sounded leaps and bounds better. It's really the foundation of a stereo system and as far as I'm concerned it should be the first step in upgrading audio.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This isn't going to be the sexy answer but properly sound deadening a car goes a looooong way. The stock stereo in the new Accord Coupes is so-so but if you deaden that car properly it gets a LOT better. Truth be told I thing sound deadening, and I don't mean slapping some Dynamat here and there, is one of the best upgrades that can be done. It can be done for a reasonable amount of loot and some hard work on your part but it's well worth the effort. Truthfully after I stripped mine and deadened it the stock stereo sounded leaps and bounds better. It's really the foundation of a stereo system and as far as I'm concerned it should be the first step in upgrading audio.
what is involved in this? since i left my sunroof open one or 3 days during the NE deluges we recently got i now have mold smell, so may need to look for new interior... whilst everything carpet everything out i can rustproof and killz ecverything, then dynamat..

for now, speaker upgrades rule...

but wehats the cost of doing that for yourself? 1. front bucket seats. 2. rugs. 3. dynamat 4...

vs

having a dealer do it for thousands more? i dunno labor but the guys at any shop get PAID.

i digress... thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
A balanced system with a sub is always >>> than full range speakers playing frequencies that strain the drivers. They key is balance...proper crossovers and gain control. I've never been a fan of 3 12's or a 15" super sub...that's not how most music is played. A quality 10 or 12 mated with amplified front comps has always worked the best for me.

·
Stayin Classy...
630 Posts
Dynomat is great and dandy but that stuff gets pricey.

A small square to do cover behind your door speakers for two doors is like 30 bucks. A giant trunk kit is like 90 or more...

To do you whole intirior would cost you like 300 bucks.

Has anyone found anything similar to dynomat at like home depot? There is this stuff that is meant to insulate/water proof new windows when they are installed. It has a metal outside finish and is stick on the back just like dynomat. It comes in 3 inch wide rolls but I dont know about sheets. Would that be a good alternative?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have done all these upgraded HU, speakers, and a Sub.

The speakers will give you a tad more bass and will give everything a more cleaner sound, while the sub will add a very nice touch of bass. I would honestly only get a 10 if you do, it will hit hard enough.

As for you HU dude replace it, it ****s in my opinion, get a nice pioneer or alpine you won't regret that

1 - 20 of 21 Posts