Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is embarrassing. I drive a 2003 LX coupe with 4cyl and just over 100k miles. I replaced the starter today. No issue there, she cranked right up. However, the engine is running rough, and the exhaust contains some white smoke/steam. :thumbsdow I know a little coolant splashed into the throttle body when I disconnected the two lines that attach to it, but I didn't think it would be enough to cause an issue. I doubt it was more than 2 oz of fluid, probably not even that much.

So, do I have to remove the intake again to clean the water out? Just let it run until it clears? Any other ideas? What's the worst that could happen from running a volume of coolant this small through the combustion chambers?

Thanks in advance. This is my first post, but I've been using the info here for a couple of years to do various things on this car. Next up is replacing the door lock actuators, driver side first. I appreciate the free help from people more knowledgeable than I. :notworthy

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
2 oz of coolant should be burnt through the system by now.

The worst case is if all 2 oz of impressible coolant all got in one cylinder to cause a hydro-lock to bend the connecting rod, but that is not going to happen with just 2 oz of coolant which would have been spread out to all cylinders.

Did you disconnect the battery to replace the starter? Maybe the car just needs a good run to get all the sensors calibrated again.

As for the "some white smoke/steam", it's probably just from ambient temperature getting cold this time of the year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hoped it was just ambient temp causing the white exhaust, too, but I started up my Pilot at the same time to swap the two vehicles around in the garage, and it was clear (both engines cold). Plus, it's not very cold where I live. I think the Accord's exhaust smells a little off, too, but I can't say I have paid its normal smell much attention, so may be wrong about that.

I did disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Youre fine. Like the other poster said, theoretically you could've damaged rods, but it is very very unlikely you did that. Im sure if you let your car warm up to operating temp, the coolant will run through the injectors/cylinders/and get burned up. It may run rough for a shortwhile as the coolant is acting like a contaminant in your system but it will burn itself through and your car will return to its steady, normal operation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts