Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, ordered and received the splash guards from Bernardi Honda in MA, shipped to PA for $67. Great deal, no instructions, so I downloaded them from College Hills Honda site. Anywho, I did a dry fit test and they're snug and perfect (as OEM Honda parts should be), but I have a question. The pic below is an excerpt from the instructions telling you to cut out a piece of the rear fender!? I really don't understand why and am not even sure what the blow up diagram is telling me to remove. Seems that I could install the without this step :dunno:? Anyone here install these already? Did you have to do this/why? Thanks in advance for the input!

Attachments

·
No PRND
583 Posts
Mine were installed by the dealer. If you can install them without cutting, that's what I would do. Good Luck

·
Registered
514 Posts
You have to cut a small hole out of the inner wheel well for it to fit around the screw that holds in the splash guard. It's not that big of a deal. Just use a utility knife and cut a small notch.

·
Banned
356 Posts
They want you to cut that area so the screw can pass through it. If you don't cut that part, when you tighten the screw on the outer lower hole ( the hole where you add the spring nut) .. the tip of the screw will start to push the liner back or puncture through it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jephu and Jakabony, I see what you mean, but if I do it right I'm thinking puncturing that spot is better than removing it right?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would drill a small hole thru it for the screw or puncture it if you can and run the screw through it.

either or works better than cutting it I would presume.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Do splash guards add wind noise or reduce aerodynamics? I've never bothered to get them on my cars. What do they really protect against....just the aesthetics of having a mud spatter along the rear bumper or something?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just did the left rear passenger side. The felt inner well material just reaches the hole you put the screw through. Cutting is a useless step, the screw doesn't even need to pierce it (at least on my car). It merely scuffs the side of the felt popping through the other side. I like it, adds some dimension. I normally don't care about splash guards, but being my first black car in a light drizzle the other day, halfway down the front doors was FILTHY and the rest of the car still looked new. Truly hoping these are functional. I don't mind the black plastic on a black car, but the dealer had them on a champagne in the showroom and I thought it looked unfinished...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Jephu and Jakabony, I see what you mean, but if I do it right I'm thinking puncturing that spot is better than removing it right?
Once you start tearing off door panels and airbag covers to change the crappy stereo guts, cutting a quarter inch from an inner wheel well won't be a big deal haha.

Reactions: Nossan
1 - 11 of 11 Posts