Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that most people like to install OEM splash guards for more of a stock look, but I can't say that I am a fan. They seem to just add an extra black piece to the car and make it too busy looking. Obviously they are nice if there is mud or rain, but I don't see why I would go through the trouble.
What do you think?

Why install them?

Why wouldn't you install them?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just installed OEM splash guards last week, at first while I was waiting for them to come in I was worried about how they would look. After the install I absolutely loved them, it just seems like they were missing from the start. One big reason why I love them though is when I use tire shine on my tires or any kind of tire cleaner, I don't get the over-spray on my front doors anymore from the excess like I always used to, esp after a wash, I always hated that! They do work and they do keep your car cleaner, but I wasn't expecting them to. They actually blend nicely right in to my car. I guess it just depends on the individual and the look your going for.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My car had them on, and after awhile I took them off. They became all faded, and I wasn't really fond of how they looked. Now if they were color-matched, I may have kept them. But I didn't feel like spending the money on getting that done.

·
Registered
249 Posts
How long did you have them before they started fading? Were they OEM? I didn't think about that. :thumbsdow

If they fade I will most likely take them off when and if they do.

·
Registered
492 Posts
They've been on the car for about 45k miles. My grandfather had them put on the car when he bought it new. I got the car when there was 36k on the clock, and even then they didn't look too good. However, they will look good as new for a little while if you wipe on some Black Magic.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Snow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Splash guards help protect the lower rear bumper and that rocker area below the front doors. Keeps them from getting scratched by rocks and cuts down on dirt buildup. Honda paint isn't the best quality and I'm a clean paint fanatic. I like the look especially OEM blacks. It helps minimize fender/wheel gap and adds a real life functional use. To maintain shine I sometimes use a rubber safe synthetic wax. My dealer installed splash guards on all new cars.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I still have mixed feeling about the look, half of me likes them, half doesn't. Haha it just seems like it depends on the car. It is definitely still a possible install if they arent too pricey. Thanks for the input!

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,915 Posts
OEM splash guards are worth every penny. If they start looking rough there are a number of products that will restore them to pristine shape. Run through a fresh tarred strip just one time and you'll be really glad you put them on. Looks is up to the individual but the practicality is without question.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I like the OEM Splash guards that came with my car. Saves you some cleaning time and mine still looks new even after 33k miles. I'm just bummed that i have to take the rear guards off because of the rear lip. :thumbsdow I'll probably paint the front guards later on.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
I guess they would look tacky on the sedan, but they look great on the coupe. They help keep the car cleaner and my OEM guards have never faded and the car is 7 years old.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I get tired of washing my car every week and the black color goes along with my black side skirts. They look great on my sedan.

If you want to talk about an "extra black piece" and how an OEM item looks on the car.. think about the "door edge guards" lol.

·
Honda only...
439 Posts
I dont think they look tacky on my sedan,I like them.

I guess they would look tacky on the sedan, but they look great on the coupe. They help keep the car cleaner and my OEM guards have never faded and the car is 7 years old.
They look good on sedans.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
ive been wanting a set for awhile. H and A had them for $50 a couple days ago for awhile. but now they made the price higher.

after driving through part of the junkyard yesterday, i want it even more now. the cars like covered in dirty water and cement like things in the fenders all over..

·
Registered
24 Posts
i like the look of splash guards. to me they kinda "finish off" the look of the coupes. it gives the appearance of a lower stance and looks a bit like you have a body kit on your car. they look especially good with bigger wheels. as far as functionality goes, well thats a no brainer- they work. if i could get some match painted to my NHBP, id sport em :thmsup:

·
Registered
411 Posts
I installed mine for functionality but I bought the 09 TSX splash guard for $70 comes OEM painted. Fitted on my 09 Accord Sedan

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I think they look pretty good on sedans too.

But the question is if you, as the driver, like them. I drove in the rain the other day and all of these drivers in front of me had huge SUVs with big wheels and no splash guards. Threw up water like crazy into my windshield. :thumbsdow

They work great, but it all boils down to personal preference.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts