Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now before someone jumps in to win the "no s**t Sherlock" prize, I know the 2.4 is tuned for 87 octane and that using higher octane fuel 'should' offer absolutely no difference in terms of either smooth engine running, performance, or mileage. I get it, message received and understood.

Thing is, I heard those self same words of motoring wisdom in respect of my Old V6 Dodge which was also tuned for 87 octane and it ALWAYS ran better when I treated it to a belly full of Premium.

So has anyone tried out higher quality gas in the Sport, and did you notice any difference?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Of course you can tell the difference because you just spent a few extra dollars to fill the tank. Your endorphins will be running through your brain and you will feel that extra impreceptable smoothness in the engine. Your euphoria will boil over as you watch your mileage increase minutely on the screen and in your brain. You will be convinced that the engine computer will learn how to adjust the timing as a result of the lack of engine knock which will improve your complexion. The extra phony additives in premium fuel will keep the carbon deposits reduced to a negative amount on your valves and fuel injectors so when your engine reaches 500,000 miles you will be able to eat off the parts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ask someone to fill the gas for you and not telling you what they fill.
Just 5 tanks, if you can tell which tank is 87 and 93. let us know.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Ask someone to fill the gas for you and not telling you what they fill.
Just 5 tanks, if you can tell which tank is 87 and 93. let us know.
A double blind study! Blind fold the car so both you and the car won't knw which grade of fuel was pumped. :notworthy

·
6MT JUNKIE
719 Posts
Now before someone jumps in to win the "no s**t Sherlock" prize, I know the 2.4 is tuned for 87 octane and that using higher octane fuel 'should' offer absolutely no difference in terms of either smooth engine running, performance, or mileage. I get it, message received and understood.

Thing is, I heard those self same words of motoring wisdom in respect of my Old V6 Dodge which was also tuned for 87 octane and it ALWAYS ran better when I treated it to a belly full of Premium.

So has anyone tried out higher quality gas in the Sport, and did you notice any difference?
I run shell vpower 93 for the cleaning agents not really for the octane since we dont have a high enough compression ratio to benefit or forced induction. 34k miles later my valves and cylinders still look brand new as if it was 200miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I run shell vpower 93 for the cleaning agents not really for the octane since we dont have a high enough compression ratio to benefit or forced induction. 34k miles later my valves and cylinders still look brand new as if it was 200miles.

How were you able to check your valves and cylinders? Did you remove a cylinder head, or use a borescope?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I run shell vpower 93 for the cleaning agents not really for the octane since we don't have a high enough compression ratio to benefit or forced induction.
Honda lists the CR as 11.1:1, made possible by the use of Direct Injection. For comparison, the 2011 I-4 Accord had a CR of 10.5:1.

Any car can have "spark knock" if an engine management component malfunctions.

·
Registered
295 Posts

And all the poorly burnt fuel is going right into your cats. :thmsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts

Of course since your engine is direct injected, gas/cleaning agents have no bearing on the valves. But that is good to know that you aren't seeing any valve deposits yet, as this has been a common design problem in other DI engines (since the gas no longer cleans the valves)

·
6MT JUNKIE
719 Posts
Lol talk about a reaction. Yes spark plugs removed. I have a snake cam, DI is correct the valves don't benefit from cleaning agents from gas. I was incorrect ...it happens. But regardless my cylinders looks great and i use overpriced motul oil ecolite...because i can :)

·
6MT JUNKIE
719 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Of course since your engine is direct injected, gas/cleaning agents have no bearing on the valves. But that is good to know that you aren't seeing any valve deposits yet, as this has been a common design problem in other DI engines (since the gas no longer cleans the valves)
I believe it predominately affects DI engines with forced induction as the crankcase gets pressurized to a higher degree and forces oil vapors through the pcv system back into the intake.

I know this was a big issue on the mazdaspeed 3s. Installing an oil catch can, and deleting the egr system prevented most of it.

But I find it hilarious , that he has been using 93 octane v power specifically for the "cleaning" benefits, when the fuel isn't even touching the valves.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Doesn't matter. You are just wasting money, probably gas mileage and maybe power.
If it makes someone happy to buy premium gasoline then who cares. People throw money away daily on other things because it gives them pleasure. Why should we rational people deny the ones who think they are getting an advantage from buying higher priced fuel the pleasure from thinking they are doing something good for their cars. It's their bucks and they can spend them anyway they like.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I think that's pretty much any top tier gasoline and not just their highest octane, which is why I only pump brand name gas.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I thought it was proven many years ago that the amount of detergent or nitrogen additives a specific gas supplier adds to their fuel is the same for all levels of their octane. The percent of that extra stuff in the fuel is the same for any level of their octane. The only difference between high-octane and low octane fuel is the extra chemicals they must add to the high-octane to make it burn slower. That is all you get when you buy high octane fuel – gas that burns slower. Nothing more. High octane does not burn cleaner or clean the internals better than low octane. On the downside, high octane is actually harder to burn. It requires more energy to start its combustion. It really isn't something you want to run in your car unless you have to.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts