Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to installing the Infinity BassLink sub and Polk speakers in our Sport. Pics are not of the entire process, just a few that may benefit other DIYers. This is a budget build ($350) to just improve the lousy Accord sound system to something I can live with. Also spent an extra $20 for a warranty on the BassLink since I've heard some say they don't last.

I created mounts so the sub would tuck as far in and up as possible. It's about 29-30 inches from rear truck lip to sub, and 3 inches above floor.

Mounts are made of 1/8" x 1" steel flat bar. Used rubber vacuum hose stuffed into speaker holes for isolation. So far no rattles. Spliced into rear speakers.

Mounted the sub volume control in one of the blank plates here.

After removing the volume control from the Infinity case, I carefully trimmed about 1/4" from each side of the circuit board to make it the same width as the opening.

Screwed the fuse holder to the battery hold down. I would have thought 17 feet of 6 gauge wire would have been long enough, but when I was ready to feed it through the top blank hole above the dead pedal out to fender, it looked like it wasn't going to reach the battery. I ended up splicing it behind the panel below the inside fuse panel. Not ideal, but this thing isn't drawing much power. 20 feet should do, or maybe mine wasn't really 17.

For the front speakers I did not modify the factory hole openings. I just cut all outside tabs from the provided Polk adapter, used it as a 1/4" spacer, and screwed it to the door after finding a location where the speaker frame laid flat and not stressed. Outline is of the original speaker.

For the Polk crossover I took a piece of flat aluminum bar and screwed it to the inside door frame, drilled 3/16" holes through the Polk mounting holes (through the crossover cover also) and strapped it to the bar with a plastic tie. Can't see the tie behind the bundle of wires. Duct tape on back of crossover was to eliminate possible rattles, but probably not needed.

Of course the left tweeter in the new EX sail panels is blocked by my Garmin, but for now that's okay.

·
CBP 2013 Accord Sport CVT
22 Posts
How much of a difference can you tell/feel with the Basslink? Also, did you have to unplug the ANC? I'm looking to upgrade my sound in my Sport. I like what you have done.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Very nice. Unfortunately, as a family man with two kids I can not give up and ounce of trunk space. I am thinking of dropping a 6.5" or 8" in the rear deck in the stock location.

Jay

·
Registered
924 Posts
basslink provides plenty of low end imo to the accord system. i didnt even upgrade the other speakers.

thanks for showing what you did with the volume control. ive been wanting to add mine to that panel of switches but wasnt sure how to get it to fit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, unplugged the ANC via the side foot panel. It doesn't have killer bass like the kids have driving down our street :) but enough for me. Usually only run at half to three quarters volume on the sub.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for showing what you did with the volume control. ive been wanting to add mine to that panel of switches but wasnt sure how to get it to fit.
It takes a little "carving" on the backside of the panel to get enough threads through for the nut.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also ran a remote power line to the sub, since I wanted it to be on and off when it's suppose to instead of depending on the auto setting of the BassLink. Connected it with a fuse link to the circuit for the radio so it works when the key is in the accessory position. The fuse is on the top horizontal row, second from the left, I think.

·
Super Moderator
3,474 Posts
I also have a Basslink II in my trunk but to to left corner. When I open the trunk the bass in the cabin is 100% heavier. Does the same thing happen to you?

·
hot garbage
203 Posts
I also have a Basslink II in my trunk but to to left corner. When I open the trunk the bass in the cabin is 100% heavier. Does the same thing happen to you?
does your car have a stock subwoofer? if so and its not removed, maybe try removing it to allow some air pressure to get into the car's cabin? :dunno: might help.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Also ran a remote power line to the sub, since I wanted it to be on and off when it's suppose to instead of depending on the auto setting of the BassLink. Connected it with a fuse link to the circuit for the radio so it works when the key is in the accessory position. The fuse is on the top horizontal row, second from the left, I think.
this is kind of a necessity with the basslink if you have spliced your signal to the rears with the line level connections. if you use the auto feature, the basslink wont turn off in time when you exit the car usually. when you do and slam the door hard enough it creates a pressure wave that moves the rear speakers and sends signal to the basslink which creates a reverb bass note until you shut the unit off. very annoying lol

this is where i have mine and yes the same happens when i drop the rear seat. if i open the trunk and not the seat most of the bass is directed outside of the trunk lid.

does your car have a stock subwoofer? if so and its not removed, maybe try removing it to allow some air pressure to get into the car's cabin? :dunno: might help.
i did this as well and it does allow for more air movement thru the trunk and creates better bass notes in the cabin.

·
Super Moderator
3,474 Posts
I have an 07 so no woofer. I'll remove the rear speakers to see if that helps. I really hate missing out on most of the bass. I even thought about moving the Basslink to the other end by the tail lights but I don't know if that would help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is kind of a necessity with the basslink if you have spliced your signal to the rears with the line level connections. if you use the auto feature, the basslink wont turn off in time when you exit the car usually. when you do and slam the door hard enough it creates a pressure wave that moves the rear speakers and sends signal to the basslink which creates a reverb bass note until you shut the unit off. very annoying lol
Looks like I stumbled into the right choice.
i did this as well and it does allow for more air movement thru the trunk and creates better bass notes in the cabin.
Maybe I'll cut open the middle opening since the Sport doesn't have that. Not looking forward to removing the rear deck though. Future project....

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
This is a good install! I used same speakers as you and the install is same as mine. I used Rockford Fosgate 10 inch sub and placed it on the side of the trunk. Not very much room is taken and can still use my seats folded down. The sound system sounds much better with seats down.

·
Registered
125 Posts
To the OP, thanks for the great info & pics.This might inspire me to do something along these lines in the new year.:thmsup:

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have an 07 so no woofer. I'll remove the rear speakers to see if that helps. I really hate missing out on most of the bass. I even thought about moving the Basslink to the other end by the tail lights but I don't know if that would help.
dude you dont have to do any of that! you have an 07, just drop the pass thru into the trunk and youre set. thats all i needed on my 05.

·
PLATINUM PLAYER
82 Posts
Does anyone know what color the factory front right speaker wires are? Thanks

2014 Sport Sedan 6MT

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice setup. My future setup is replacing the front with components and rears with coaxil and adding my 8" jbl woofer in the rear deck. Having the hole cut out and trimmed. Adding the ex tweeters sails. Powered by 5ch amp. Quoted 600 for the setup.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone know what color the factory front right speaker wires are? Thanks

2014 Sport Sedan 6MT
RF Neg: Red
RF Pos: Gray

LF Neg: Pink
LF Pos: Green

·
Super Moderator
3,474 Posts
dude you dont have to do any of that! you have an 07, just drop the pass thru into the trunk and youre set. thats all i needed on my 05.
I did that but there is still a huge difference once I pop the trunk.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i'm planning to get the basslink 10" probably. my question is do i have to connect it the the head unit or can i just splice wires from the rear speakers?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts