Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking to get more info on the sport mode for my car. The manual says it's for "quicker acceleration and/or to drive up hills". Not alot of detail...I also searched this forum and online and didn't find much more.

Does sport mode basically just increase acceleration but decrease fuel economy? Is it like the change from normal Drive mode to Econ, but in the reverse direction?

Anyone here drive most or all of the time in sport mode? Thanks.

·
CD5 to CR2
205 Posts
Sport mode keeps the rpms a bit higher for better throttle response at the cost of fuel. Also useful in hilly/curvy situations. A search should give you several results.

·
'14 Accord Sport CVT BRP2
19 Posts
Does sport mode basically just increase acceleration but decrease fuel economy? Is it like the change from normal Drive mode to Econ, but in the reverse direction?

Anyone here drive most or all of the time in sport mode? Thanks.
That's exactly how I think of it. Like the other answer said, sport mode raises the rpms and you get a better response. Can be used to pass cars or go up hills.

I don't know if anyone uses sport mode 100% of the time. I only use it to pass cars or if I want that extra acceleration for a few moments.

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,224 Posts
To me, S is just for Slope mode; it is very harsh like driving in 3rd gear. It is definitely not Sport mode. It is (S)ales gimmick mode.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Too bad S mode doesn't allow you to hover at 3000RPM at a stop... that would really get you moving faster lol.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Useless!

Best 0-60mph times are in Drive, NOT Sport, NOT with paddle shifters, according to The Fast Lane Car on YouTube.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Best 0-60mph times are in Drive, NOT Sport, NOT with paddle shifters, according to The Fast Lane Car on YouTube.
Different thing - sport on the sport model puts it in simulated manual mode. In the other accords it raises the revs. Nothing will make it faster against the clock than just leaving it in D. Sport will probably be the same number. Paddle shifting is slower (but may feel faster).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes it will cost you mph, but it I’ll make your car go faster. The ride is noiser but you will love the boost. Feels like driving around in an Evo X. Highly recommend it, I drive it only when I’m driving highway (whenever I feel sporty ? )

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,379 Posts
Yes it will cost you mph, but it I’ll make your car go faster. The ride is noiser but you will love the boost. Feels like driving around in an Evo X. Highly recommend it, I drive it only when I’m driving highway (whenever I feel sporty ? )
I take it you've never driven an Evo X. Anyone who has would not compare a 2014 Accord LX in sport mode to it. It's. Not. Even. Close.

And boost? The Accord is naturally aspirated. There is no boost.

Oh, and mph =/= MPG. Two completely different things.

·
Banned
22 Posts
I take it you've never driven an Evo X. Anyone who has would not compare a 2014 Accord LX in sport mode to it. It's. Not. Even. Close.

And boost? The Accord is naturally aspirated. There is no boost.

Oh, and mph =/= MPG. Two completely different things.

Ah, be nice. Maybe a tad misleading but you get his point. I've never driven an evo, but he/she is probably just talking about it being quicker.

By boost I'm sure he means "pickup".

And don't harp on the mpg/mph switch. You also know what he means there.

Anyways, someone probably has a better understanding than I do, but here's my take. Sport holds gears longer, allowing you to go (surprisingly, imo) higher in revs for longer. It seems to take some finesse and getting used to in order to fully take advantage of it. If I want to pass a car quickly, I throw it in "S" and go. In my opinion, the car seems to accelerate faster overall. If people are saying that "D" provides the fastest 0-60, then fine. I'm sure that's true. It should have something to do with getting to proper gears for that specific 0-60 scenario. But from what I've seen, if you're already up and going, especially 30-60 range, it seems to provide the most power and acceleration. Once again, this is because it let's you get to and hold high rpms.

Braking, however, is a different story. I heard somewhere that letting your foot off the pedal will automatically apply "engine brake". Dont harp on my lack of technical explanation, it's just what I've heard- and seems to be true. But when you slow down-and this is particularly evident when you brake-the car will want to get you into your lower gears, quicker. This will cause rpm to stay higher. High revs seem to be the theme with sport mode. The shifts seem jerky when rapidly slowing down, especially to a stop. If you know you're stopping fully, sport mode isnt the best option. It will jerk as the car shifts to lower gears. I just throw it in to drive if I've been in sport and plan to stop. Now if you're slowing down with the anticipation of getting back up to speed (ie. slowing down for a curve) , keep your butt in sport.

I enjoy sport, use it alongside drive, and feel more engaged. More, shall I say, sporty? I was also one who regretted not getting a model year with paddle shifters.
However, I've found that I can be just as productive with the system that I explained above. Maybe more, given the bad things I've heard about the shifters.

Interested in hearing others' opinions.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
D keeps the rpm where best fuel efficiency will be had.

S keeps the rpm where most torque will be readily available. Useful just before merging into a faster lane so you don't have to wait for the computer to detect that you want more power than what is currently being produced and initiate a downshift.

Econ mode changes the mapping of gas pedal. You need to depress the gas pedal further to get the same power.

Ah, be nice. Maybe a tad misleading but you get his point. I've never driven an evo, but he/she is probably just talking about it being quicker.

By boost I'm sure he means "pickup".

And don't harp on the mpg/mph switch. You also know what he means there.

Anyways, someone probably has a better understanding than I do, but here's my take. Sport holds gears longer, allowing you to go (surprisingly, imo) higher in revs for longer. It seems to take some finesse and getting used to in order to fully take advantage of it. If I want to pass a car quickly, I throw it in "S" and go. In my opinion, the car seems to accelerate faster overall. If people are saying that "D" provides the fastest 0-60, then fine. I'm sure that's true. It should have something to do with getting to proper gears for that specific 0-60 scenario. But from what I've seen, if you're already up and going, especially 30-60 range, it seems to provide the most power and acceleration. Once again, this is because it let's you get to and hold high rpms.

Braking, however, is a different story. I heard somewhere that letting your foot off the pedal will automatically apply "engine brake". Dont harp on my lack of technical explanation, it's just what I've heard- and seems to be true. But when you slow down-and this is particularly evident when you brake-the car will want to get you into your lower gears, quicker. This will cause rpm to stay higher. High revs seem to be the theme with sport mode. The shifts seem jerky when rapidly slowing down, especially to a stop. If you know you're stopping fully, sport mode isnt the best option. It will jerk as the car shifts to lower gears. I just throw it in to drive if I've been in sport and plan to stop. Now if you're slowing down with the anticipation of getting back up to speed (ie. slowing down for a curve) , keep your butt in sport.

I enjoy sport, use it alongside drive, and feel more engaged. More, shall I say, sporty? I was also one who regretted not getting a model year with paddle shifters.
However, I've found that I can be just as productive with the system that I explained above. Maybe more, given the bad things I've heard about the shifters.

Interested in hearing others' opinions.
Do not feel bad for not having paddle shifters. They are cool and fun but gets old fast. S mode (read: the computer) does a much better job than any human driver selecting the ideal ratio and keeping the engine in the sweet spot. You are not missing anything performance wise.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Do not feel bad for not having paddle shifters. They are cool and fun but gets old fast. S mode (read: the computer) does a much better job than any human driver selecting the ideal ratio and keeping the engine in the sweet spot. You are not missing anything performance wise.
That is what I've heard. Not to mention, it's an accord. Absolutely love the car, and it is plenty athletic; but it's a dad car. I get as much excitement as any from getting above 30 mpg on a trip. From knowing how reliable/low maintenance it is, or how comfortable I am in it without being "car broke".

And, I do get to smoke most people on the road.

Thanks Emeron, for doing a better job explaining the different modes.

·
Gearless
372 Posts
Great for short entrance ramps (what a rubber band the CVT is), drag racing your bros, 0-60 times, passing on a 2 lane highway going opposite directions, etc.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
That is what I've heard. Not to mention, it's an accord. Absolutely love the car, and it is plenty athletic; but it's a dad car. I get as much excitement as any from getting above 30 mpg on a trip. From knowing how reliable/low maintenance it is, or how comfortable I am in it without being "car broke".

And, I do get to smoke most people on the road.

Thanks Emeron, for doing a better job explaining the different modes.
Agreed about the dad car, I have advanced to an age where noise isolation, comfortable seats and a smooth ride have become more important to me than they used to be. In my opinion, an accord is on the high end of entry-level cars. Anything better than this would put you in a luxury brand like an acura or lexus or audi. At the end of the day, accord is still a honda; it is made by the millions, parts are plentiful and cheap, design is simple, the bugs are mostly worked out, minimal maintenance cost. You get a lot of car for what you pay for. I made a cross country trip driving 12 hours a day cruising at 80 (where speed limit is also 80), averaging 36mpg with AC on, I did not get any headaches, no neck pain, no back pain. It is a perfectly fine highway cruiser.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Agreed about the dad car, I have advanced to an age where noise isolation, comfortable seats and a smooth ride have become more important to me than they used to be. In my opinion, an accord is on the high end of entry-level cars. Anything better than this would put you in a luxury brand like an acura or lexus or audi. At the end of the day, accord is still a honda; it is made by the millions, parts are plentiful and cheap, design is simple, the bugs are mostly worked out, minimal maintenance cost. You get a lot of car for what you pay for. I made a cross country trip driving 12 hours a day cruising at 80 (where speed limit is also 80), averaging 36mpg with AC on, I did not get any headaches, no neck pain, no back pain. It is a perfectly fine highway cruiser.

I traded in a Charger Daytona after just driving it for a year (to help with some finances mostly), but I agree with what you said. It drives as smooth as most mid-level luxury sedans, very light and agile unlike my Charger that felt like driving a tank. Best part about the Sport is you get the exterior looks, and can easily upgrade and personalize your HU and sound system to your liking. The 2017 SE sealed the deal for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts