Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally I use the paddle shifters to down shift to merge onto a crowded freeway. Otherwise I just drive the car in Drive and enjoy the ride. I have not selected Sport mode because I have been having fun getting great milage. Does anyone regularly use those features? Are they useful or just a gimmick?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I find the paddles to be a gimmick. My cvt never hesitates to "downshift" when I put my foot down. Its quicker to put my foot down rather than touching the paddles.

Now if the 4 cyl 8th gen accord had paddles like the tsx that would help cause that tranny never wants to downshift. My foot can be to the floor and the engine will hang at 3 k rpm..such a pain for highway passing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use D mostly, but like having the paddles for "downshifting" to decelerate around corners. The CVT seems to have great throttle response when called upon. The Sport mode has more aggressive shift points, but the paddles work in D too, it just reverts back to normal mode after a few seconds.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Occasionally I use the paddle shifters to down shift to merge onto a crowded freeway. Otherwise I just drive the car in Drive and enjoy the ride. I have not selected Sport mode because I have been having fun getting great milage. Does anyone regularly use those features? Are they useful or just a gimmick?
I use sport mode when I drive home and there is a 7% grade for 4 or so miles. Shift to '6th' gear and you are done. Lower RPMs than CVT's preset and better mileage.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I use mine frequently. I've noticed, around 3k rpm in 5th virtual gear or lower provides the best torque and acceleration. 3rd gear is my favorite, again around 3k rpm and tap or floor it, you definitely can feel the torque. Also my magnaflow sounds GREAT in that range. Eargasms ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use sport mode quite a lot on my Sport, I find that acceleration is better in sport mode without using the paddle shifters. Although from a stop using the paddles and shifting at around 65-6600rpm seems to get the most kick for me, letting it shift by itself to 6800rpm for each gear seems like there is a small delay. The paddles were a selling point for me but after a few weeks of using them I've noticed that downshifting to gears 3-7 the power band is so limited. I'm sure a MT would change that but thats a whole another topic to discuss. Even after what I just said I still appreciate having the paddle shifters. Dual Clutch please haha

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sport mode, a gimmick? Hahaha. Maybe on the 4 banger..
+1

I use sport mode and the paddle shifters quite a bit on my V6, it makes driving on curvy/twisty mountain or back roads a lot more fun.

·
Cruisin Iowa...
149 Posts
I only use mine when taking my exit nightly off the interstate. I am going down hill at that point and coming up to a stop light. It helps slow me down without always having to use my brakes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
+1

I use sport mode and the paddle shifters quite a bit on my V6, it makes driving on curvy/twisty mountain or back roads a lot more fun.
Same here!!! Bought my V6 Coupe 1 week ago and use the paddle shifters a lot; and use Sport mode whenever I merge or from a standing start. D drive is conservative and is ok for normal Point A to B driving, but Sport mode blows it away. Drive the car hard occasionally & have fun

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I've not used Sport in this car and I of course don't have paddles. However in the TSX the S mode would hold the transmission from going into 5th on the highway and keep the rpm's up. I usually just used the paddles as something to play around with when passing.

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
I use my paddles frequently. I have more control over the power depending on the situation.

I use it frequently to engine brake when slowing down. I use it when going through some curvy roads to keep in the upper part of the powerband.

If you are wanting the best straight line acceleration then you are best off leaving it in D and flooring it.

Sometimes I just want to play on the highway at highway speeds; keeping it in virtual gear '4' gives much better acceleration for passing than just 'S'.

The paddles are very useful depending on how you drive. It definitely is not a gimmick.

A good example of where you would see a difference when using paddles vs. not using paddles in 'S' mode is when rounding a 90 degree corner.
If you leave it in S the engine speed will drop and you will not have as much power exiting the corner whereas if you 'downshifted' into 1st or 2nd, you would have much more power accelerating out of the corner.
Try it and you'll see what I mean.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
I use my paddles frequently. I have more control over the power depending on the situation.

I use it frequently to engine brake when slowing down. I use it when going through some curvy roads to keep in the upper part of the powerband.

If you are wanting the best straight line acceleration then you are best off leaving it in D and flooring it.

Sometimes I just want to play on the highway at highway speeds; keeping it in virtual gear '4' gives much better acceleration for passing than just 'S'.

The paddles are very useful depending on how you drive. It definitely is not a gimmick.

A good example of where you would see a different when using paddles vs. not using paddles in 'S' mode is when rounding a 90 degree corner.
If you leave it in S the engine speed will drop and you will not have as much power exiting the corner whereas if you 'downshifted' into 1st or 2nd, you would have much more power accelerating out of the corner.
Try it and you'll see what I mean.
Totally jealous of this. I wish they had this for my V6 sedan. And no one knows if it can be done :(

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Totally jealous of this. I wish they had this for my V6 sedan. And no one knows if it can be done :(
My wife's 07 Fit Sport has them along with the Sport mode. She has never used them. I use them occasionally when I drive her car just to make sure they still work. :D

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
If I had a V6, I would definitely look into this modification and help you and the community out, although from my experiences with the RLX (which shares the same 6-speed automatic) and Accord V6 Coupe, the paddle shifting action isn't as engaging due to the relatively slow response of the gear changes with the traditional torque converter automatic transmission.

The CVT transmission 'gear changes' are relatively responsive for what it is. While it is no dual clutch automatic transmission and has some rubber bandy action even while in a 'gear', it is good enough to make hits on the fun factor meter.

My wife's 07 Fit Sport has them along with the Sport mode. She has never used them. I use them occasionally when I drive her car just to make sure they still work. :D
It all comes down to what type of driver you are. Some people bought the Sport for the appearance and the goodies that come with the trim level and they drive it like 'normal' people getting from point A to B.

Then there are others like myself who are looking for something more sporting, but not a full manual.

For me, coming from a background of sports cars, the paddle shifters were a major selling point especially after seeing how quick it responded during my first test drive in October 2012.

Sometimes when I take my parents out in their cars, I try to paddle shift only to find nothing behind the steering wheel. lol :nuts:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts