Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys drive in sport mode or regular drive? What are the differences and does sport mode use more gas?

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
Sport mode guzzles gas. It keeps revs high and throttle response tends to be slightly sharper as such. I use it in traffic to dart into gaps when safe to. You don't want to use it for too long. It also locks out 6th gear in the auto

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Sport mode guzzles gas. It keeps revs high and throttle response tends to be slightly sharper as such. I use it in traffic to dart into gaps when safe to. You don't want to use it for too long. It also locks out 6th gear in the auto
My wife's 07 Fit Sport has the sport mode with the paddle shifters and she has never used either. When I drive her car I try out the paddle shifters to see if it still works. It does. I have not tried the sport mode my Accord yet but I have tried the paddle shifters to aid in deceleration. In normal everyday traffic it doesn't make much difference. I am sure that if you drive in sport mode all the time your gas mileage will suffer. The 07 Ft Sport and the EX L Coupe comes with both standard. If it was optional I probably wouldn't get them.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It definitely sucks the fuel economy down. I don't use it unless I need to. Every time I use it I see the ongoing avg MPG drop a couple points in a very short amount of time.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I drop it in sport when merging onto a highway or usually from a standing start. Much more aggressive like driving a manual. Those who don't use sport mode & paddle shifters are those drivers most likely not being long-time stick drivers. Without the sport mode & paddle shifters, I would have not puchased the automatic. But that's just me of course

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
agreed they are really selling an illusion
How so? You have economy when you want it or more giddy up when you don't. It's like the Ford commercials "and is better than or"

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
How so? You have economy when you want it or more giddy up when you don't. It's like the Ford commercials "and is better than or"
You are right about and is better than or. I have been trying to see if the mileage is much different between Econ off and Econ on. When I next fill up the tank I am going to leave the Econ off and start using the Sport or Paddle shifters more.

·
S mode
382 Posts
Sport Mode waste gas, but faster responds. The Sport Mode on the Sport model is awesome w/ paddle shifters, I feel more in control.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Sport mode on my V6 is pretty useless. I mean yes, it makes it more responsive, but I don't need to drive around with the revs elevated. The car is very responsive and powerful even in D mode.

·
Registered
608 Posts
We're getting responses from two different engines here. The sport mode on the V6 keeps the revs high and into a very explosive part of the power band, which delivers excellent acceleration but drastically drops mpg. Engine braking will also be high so can provide a strange sensation if just trying to drive regularly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
sport mode

The sport mode is as stated before a way to mimic a manual transmission and is quite responsive. The rpm band will always be a little bit higher than in Drive mode but that doesn't necessarily mean you will suffer at the pump. If you go in sport mode all the time but don't want to have a decrease or significant decrease in your average mpg, then you are supposed to use the paddle shifters and as the word implies, SHIFT as driving a manual vehicle. If you shift around 2k rpm or so the car will run as smooth as in D mode but will be more responsive if needed. The same way when coming to a stop (learn the rpm range first) you can help yourself by down-shifting and using less the brakes as contrary of what other user said the sport mode doesn't lock on the 6th ratio. That being said, choose the mode you want to be in (depending on the situation) but you can certainly keep the MPG in sport mode as well. I have tested my car in sport mode for more than half the tank in normal driving conditions (read NOT FLOORING THE GAS) and I've been getting 28, 29 (between city and highway) which is not bad at all. Whatever the reasons for choosing one mode or the other ENJOY!! :thmsup:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The sport mode is as stated before a way to mimic a manual transmission and is quite responsive. The rpm band will always be a little bit higher than in Drive mode but that doesn't necessarily mean you will suffer at the pump. If you go in sport mode all the time but don't want to have a decrease or significant decrease in your average mpg, then you are supposed to use the paddle shifters and as the word implies, SHIFT as driving a manual vehicle. If you shift around 2k rpm or so the car will run as smooth as in D mode but will be more responsive if needed. The same way when coming to a stop (learn the rpm range first) you can help yourself by down-shifting and using less the brakes as contrary of what other user said the sport mode doesn't lock on the 6th ratio. That being said, choose the mode you want to be in (depending on the situation) but you can certainly keep the MPG in sport mode as well. I have tested my car in sport mode for more than half the tank in normal driving conditions (read NOT FLOORING THE GAS) and I've been getting 28, 29 (between city and highway) which is not bad at all. Whatever the reasons for choosing one mode or the other ENJOY!! :thmsup:
I just filled up the car yesterday and I am going to drive it in sport mode and see how it affects my milage without emulating the Gran Prix of the US.

·
Registered
41 Posts
sport mode

I just filled up the car yesterday and I am going to drive it in sport mode and see how it affects my milage without emulating the Gran Prix of the US.
Exactly that's the IDEA hehe. Always on the speed limit or less and no sudden acceleration on every light and you should be fine.:yes:

·
Registered
181 Posts
sport mode works, but yea i use it once in a while, usually about the same time im regetting not getting the 6MT, helps me feel like i got the best of both worlds.

(got the CVT cuz of the finance and sister using my car from time to time)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts