Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

squeaking noise when turning the wheel (video)

18K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  allysonhoffman77 
#1 ·
2001 Honda Accord
4 dr ulev-vtec 4 cyl

Car started squeaking after not driving it for a couple days. I don't know exactly why but maybe the frigid temp(-40C/-40F) could be a possible suspect?

Before, at a stand still, i would turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, then all the way to the left 2x and the squeak will go away. However, it will come back the second the car is moving. Now it's just happening constantly.

Any ideas? From what i think, it could be that the tie rod boots or lower ball joint boots could use some grease. But im not sure how it would react with the temps here up north is always so cold (-20C to -30C or -4F to -22F)

Note that the noise is actually so much louder outside.

Is it still safe to drive or? I don't want to put myself and others at risk but i think that all it needs is some grease to keep it happy

#2 ·
I dont think its dangerous to drive unless the steering starts to bind up when you turn.
These Accords do not have greasable tie rods or ball joints, unless they have been previously replaced.
The noise could be one of several possibilities. You will need to narrow it down by having someone turn the steering wheel while you listen to the various components. Open the hood and check the pump and belt, steering rack and each front wheel area, hopefully you can isolate the source or at least eliminate some. Using a 3-4 foot long hose with one end held close to your ear is a simple way of locating noise sources.

#4 ·
lmrj0030 -I am having the same sort of noises coming from my 2000 Honda Accord EXV6. I live in the Chicago area, and these sub-zero temps have wreaked havoc on everything. On one hand, I am relieved to know that it's not just my car - and thus likely to be just a condition of the cold. Then again, I empathize with you because your ride and mine both are about the same age, and just might still be in need of some repairs regardless. In any case, keep us posted. I'll do the same.

#5 ·
2001 Honda Accord
4 dr ulev-vtec 4 cyl

Car started squeaking after not driving it for a couple days. I don't know exactly why but maybe the frigid temp(-40C/-40F) could be a possible suspect?

Before, at a stand still, i would turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, then all the way to the left 2x and the squeak will go away. However, it will come back the second the car is moving. Now it's just happening constantly.

Any ideas? From what i think, it could be that the tie rod boots or lower ball joint boots could use some grease. But im not sure how it would react with the temps here up north is always so cold (-20C to -30C or -4F to -22F)

Note that the noise is actually so much louder outside.

Is it still safe to drive or? I don't want to put myself and others at risk but i think that all it needs is some grease to keep it happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0lGQz_v5js

Did you ever find out what the problem was?

#6 ·
I would start at the steering cloumn joints that are near the fire wall by your feet. You may just need to grease these joints as they can become squeaky especially in cold weather as grease will still lubricate but not perform as it should unless at proper temps. Get yourself some white lithium grease spray and work your way from the column joint to your steering box under the hood. Without actually being there in person I can only speculate that this is your problem and not a faulty pump or belt as it sounds more like a dry joint issue. Here is a link to a column image and you can see what you are looking for, #4 is where you should start.

#7 ·
As Xgenn mentioned, I would suggest getting the liquid wrench blue penetrating oil and hose that steering column down. One of my old fords has the exact same noise, and it took me two or three runs before I got it right, because there was a ujoint tucked up where I couldnt easily see it. Hosed that bad boy down, problem solved.