Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As seems to be the case for many other 8th Gen Accord owners, the brakes on my '09 EX 4 cylinder began squealing - in my case, once my car got to about 500 miles old. I tried de-glazing the factory rotors and pads, which only quieted them down for ~ 100 miles, and also deglazing the factory rotors and installing new Raybestos ceramic pads. Same deal, 100 miles later the squeal was back. Finally, at 17k miles on the car, I tried installing new Centric Premium rotors along with new Hawk Ceramic pads. I used the original factory shims (after careful cleaning with brake cleaner) with the new Hawk pads, putting the Hawk supplied lube between the backs of the pads and the shim surface, as well as between the backs of the shims and the pistons / tangs on the calipers. The sliders were cleaned, and I made sure the slide pins were lubed (but not too much grease, so they don't "hydraulically bind up"), and carefully reassembled the whole deal. So far (knock on wood so I don't jinx myself!), they are still quiet after 1k of use. The Hawk pads "feel" like the stockers, but they do dust a bit more aggressively than the stock pads - particularly in the front. While it's too early to tell if this is a permanent fix for the squealing brakes, it is effective so far.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Why would you re-use factory shims on the hawks?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I took my car to Honda and they replaced my squealing brakes 100% free of charge. They know about the issue and as long as your rear brakes are wearing unevenly with the front, it is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the Hawk pads came with no shims, but did come with a (somewhat) cryptic note in the installation instructions to "use factory hardware". After talking with a person from the technical desk at TireRack (where I bought the pads and rotors from), and that person calling Hawk, I was told to do so. As noted above, so far - so good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts