Discussion Starter #1

·
1st gear
363 Posts
sri = more sound / safer

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I don't like SRIs. I prefer it to be quiet unless I want it to be loud. With an SRI it is always louder at low RPM.

·
.Net developer
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Management
651 Posts
CAI is a PITA to install/maintain/etc. Plus there is the water issue that most definitely can happen despite what some people will say. I've never heard one be louder at low RPM than high especially on a Honda.

I have an Injen CAI and if I could do it all over again, I'd get an SRI.

·
Bat-mobile
540 Posts
i would go with a SRI for safety but since u got the V6 and if your looking for a slight increase on performance go with CIA. now the cheap ebay ones do the same job, just know that what you pay for is the NAME and QUALITY the choice is yours i will tell you to do it right the FIRST time

·
justmy8gen
202 Posts
imo, CAI will destroy the engine? when it accidentally ****s the water in. specially if you live in the State that rain alot. SRI is a safe bet and easy to maintain. The CAI, you have to take out bumper to reach to the filter. Please fix me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was interested in the same thing as well. Excuse me if i'm uninformed, but don't some people run both sri and cai together? I think i'm going to go with an SRI for now for my 2010 accord sedan, but what brand should I look out for without braking the bank? Injen? Takeda? AEM?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
CAI is a PITA to install/maintain/etc. Plus there is the water issue that most definitely can happen despite what some people will say. I've never heard one be louder at low RPM than high especially on a Honda.

I have an Injen CAI and if I could do it all over again, I'd get an SRI.
What I meant is when you accelerate normally with a CAI it almost sounds stock, it's not until the RPMs start rising that it really gets loud. With a SRI it is louder no matter how you accelerate. I've heard the Takeda and Injen back-to-back on 4 cylinder 8th gens and the Takeda is definitely louder more of the time.

It took less than 15 minutes longer to install the Injen on my car than it took me to install the Takeda on my friend's. Filter only needs to be cleaned every 25k miles. If you run the Hydroshield you can probably extend it further.

imo, CAI will destroy the engine? when it accidentally ****s the water in. specially if you live in the State that rain alot. SRI is a safe bet and easy to maintain. The CAI, you have to take out bumper to reach to the filter. Please fix me if I'm wrong.
You remove the intake resonator with a CAI. With that gone you can remove the filter by peeling back the fender liner and reaching in like you do when replacing the low beam or fog light bulbs.

·
.Net developer
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm... from all your posts, SRI sounds like its getting my vote! :thumbsup:

just a quick question: by installing this does this void any warranty on anything and/or will my sensors, etc continue to work without any setbacks? (warning light, etc etc) thanks :)

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
SRI=louder, will not have to worry about hydro lock
CAI=quieter, possibility of hydro lock
I think it’s really that simple. Both perform about the same.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can still hydrolock with an SRI, for the record. Not saying it's common, but it's possible.

Theres just a sound from a CAI you can't achieve with an SRI. If you want the sound of an SRI, do the cheap res-delete mod. If you want a nice roar when you hit high rpms, get a CAI. I have monsoon type floods out here in the fall, and I manage. Just don't drive like an idiot and run through 3 ft deep puddles. Theres a reason why these car companies run their intake pipes to the lower grill area. It just makes more sense to inhale cold air than heatsoak in the engine bay.

Get a CAI, you won't regret it.

Unless you get Katrina style floods. But then again, you shouldn't be driving if the weather is that bad.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I say it doesn't make much of a difference. I have cone filter on the end of my OEM intake hose. It serves as a very functional and inexpensive SRI. I also have a home-made ram-air feed that starts right behind my left fog light plastic panel and ends at my cone filter. (I cut out the back of the plastic panel and attached a section of 4" diameter flexible gutter hose. Obviously I removed the OEM intake tubing and that resonator box.) I now get the quick response of an SRI and cold air rammed onto my filter when the car moves, the best of both worlds so to speak. (By the way, I discovered that the OEM system has no ram effect at all. On my V6, the OEM air intake that begins right in front of the battery is capped to prevent anything from being forced into it.)

Anyway, I was very disappointed with the results of my ram air. I constantly monitor my intake air temperature with my Scan Gauge. It seems Honda placed the temperature sensor aft of the throttle body inside the intake manifold. Consequently it reads the "heated" intake manifold air temperature. It is always about 30*F hotter than the outside air.

When I floor my car and let in a burst of cold air, the Scan Gauge shows a rapid decline in air intake temperature, often around 10*F or more. But it is only for that time the throttle is wide open. Under all other driving circumstances, my air intake temperature is about 30*F higher than the outside air.

Here's the kicker. The temperature is the same now as when I had just a regular "heat soak" SRI, which was also exactly the same as when I had the OEM air box. Unless the engine was floored, the air intake temperature was the same with all three intake systems. My guess is that under normal driving, the throttle valve is opened so little that it does not let a meaningful amount of air (cold or hot) into the engine to make any difference inside the manifold. Even at 80 mph when I know I'm getting a ton of cold air rammed right onto the filter, the intake air temp remains about 30*F higher than the outside air. It really makes me question the value of any CAI.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
SRI = **** in hot air and heat soak. Might as well keep the stock box and take out the resonator..

It just sounds good. If your going for sound yes. Get SRI.

·
In Reverse
662 Posts
You can still hydrolock with an SRI, for the record. Not saying it's common, but it's possible.

Theres just a sound from a CAI you can't achieve with an SRI. If you want the sound of an SRI, do the cheap res-delete mod. If you want a nice roar when you hit high rpms, get a CAI. I have monsoon type floods out here in the fall, and I manage. Just don't drive like an idiot and run through 3 ft deep puddles. Theres a reason why these car companies run their intake pipes to the lower grill area. It just makes more sense to inhale cold air than heatsoak in the engine bay.

Get a CAI, you won't regret it.

Unless you get Katrina style floods. But then again, you shouldn't be driving if the weather is that bad.
lol hydrolock with an SRI? That would mean you would have to basically submerge the front end of the car completely, from wheels to hood of the engine bay, into water, or a small lake, which at any point you have killed your engine and possibly the car all together...

The SRI sits atop the engine, it basically skims right on the same level as the battery. Therefore to cause damage you would really have to go through a lake which would mean your hole car is dead!

Get a SRI, TAKEDA has no CEL, or any of the sort...

·
Registered
146 Posts
seriously? Hydrolock... You would have to drive through 3 ft of water and try to floor it to get out. That is such an overused term. I have never witness anyone getting hydrolock, unless they did something really stupid. I ran a CAI on a 350Z and drove it all year about 6 inches or less off the ground, and never even a hiccup. Please dont get scared into avoiding a CAI. I have the i4 and took out all the crap in the fender, and put a cone on the end of the stock piping. I can tell you I have checked the heat under the hood a few times after spirited driving, and the cone that close to the fender is still very cool compared to any part near the engine. Now the V-6 SRI seems awfully close to the engine to NOT get heat soak.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts