Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm been a long-time lurker here and have found some really good info on this forum. Finally decided to make an account because my SRS light's been acting up lately. I've got a 03 EX-L I4 with about 120K miles, and I've noticed lately that the SRS light on the instrument cluster comes on sometimes. It has never come on if I buckle the driver's seatbelt before starting the car, but if I buckle it after starting the car, sometimes it comes on.

I tried the paperclip trick to read the SRS code, but the code I got seemed to be unrelated to the seatbelt buckle. I was expecting to get a 9-3 code (for the seatbelt buckle), but the codes I saw looked like 6-1 and 5-3, which point to "Internal Failure of SRS unit" when I did a search online. This doesn't seem to be related to the seatbelt buckle at all, and yet the light never comes on when I buckle it before starting the car.

Anyone have ideas? I can post a video of the code lights if that might be useful. The car's never been in an accident and all maintenance has been kept up with. I just wanted to make sure that the issue was related to the seatbelt buckle before I took it to the dealer, since only seatbelt-related items are covered under the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sounds like symptoms of a seat belt buckle

My 05 has this issue last year. I retrieved the code using a scanner, and had the dealer replace the buckle for free

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Mine gives internal failure of SRS unit using the paperclip. Using a proper scanner gives the seatbelt tensioner error. Take it to the dealership, seatbelts are lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just had the exact same symptoms for 6 months. Like others said it's the drivers side seat belt buckle. It's the piece that you clip the buckle in. Honda will replace it for free.

A Honda dealer replaced mine for free, but at the same time made a BOGUS list of thousands of dollars of maintenance my car "needs", all of which my car DOES NOT NEED. Totally tried to rip me off, but at least they replaced the buckle for free.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like symptoms of a seat belt buckle

My 05 has this issue last year. I retrieved the code using a scanner, and had the dealer replace the buckle for free
Mine gives internal failure of SRS unit using the paperclip. Using a proper scanner gives the seatbelt tensioner error. Take it to the dealership, seatbelts are lifetime warranty.
I just had the exact same symptoms for 6 months. Like others said it's the drivers side seat belt buckle. It's the piece that you clip the buckle in. Honda will replace it for free.

A Honda dealer replaced mine for free, but at the same time made a BOGUS list of thousands of dollars of maintenance my car "needs", all of which my car DOES NOT NEED. Totally tried to rip me off, but at least they replaced the buckle for free.

Thanks everyone! Drove down to the dealership today and they are going to order a new driver's side buckle, which should be here tomorrow. So it looks like the buckle was the culprit after all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts