Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago my 1998 LX 4 cyl. started stalling briefly while driving and then kicking back on. The problem was diagnosed as an ignition switch problem. My dealer replaced the ignition switch (which had been done previously under the recall). They did it for free, which was really great of them. However, when I picked the car up, the SRS light was on. I don't mean it came on as I was driving it home. I mean it was on when I started the car up to leave the dealership. I asked them about it at the time and they asked me if I wanted to schedule an appointment to have it looked at. I didn't schedule an appointment at the time because I thought maybe it was just something related to the work they did and maybe the light would go out.

Now it is several months later and the light is still on. I have also noticed that the horn doesn't always work. I scheduled an appointment to have a small coolant leak looked at and I also asked them to check the SRS light. They called me back and told me that the problem is that the cable reel is broken and that replacing it will be $361.

My question is can the cable reel be damaged or broken during replacement of the ignition switch? It seems possible, but I really don't know. Even if it is possible, I would feel kind of bad accusing them of breaking the cable reel and asking them to repair it at their cost when they did the ignition switch repair for free when they didn't really need to.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I dont see how the ignition switch replacement could effect the clock spring even tho both are in the steering column, but in different places. Attached is a link to the TSB for the ignition switch recall which shows the steps required.
The clock spring is located below the steering wheel and its removal is not required for the switch change.
I would guess its just a case of bad timing and the free switch replacement is the dealers way of trying to make you a happy customer.

http://www.driveaccord.net/PDF/ignition_switch.pdf

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nehonda,

Thanks for your response. I thought I agreed with you and that it was probably a case of bad timing. That is until I decided to replace the SRS cable reel/clockspring myself.

After removing the old cable reel, I discovered that the reason for the failure was that one of the wires where the power cable connects on the back of the cable reel was severed or ripped out of the back of the cable reel. This is the cable that runs out the back of the cable reel, along the underside of the steering column and plugs into another cable that comes out of the dash. A photo of the damage is attached. I just don't know how that would happen without some sort of "trauma" to that cable.

Anyway, I was able to do this repair myself in about an hour at a cost of $30 for an OE cable reel. I could have paid $75 for the Honda cable reel but I didn't want to wait for it to come in. Either way, a lot better than the $361 Mile High Honda quoted me for the repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
People, first of all, I´m brazillian and maybe I will have some problems with the English Grammar.

Recently I had the same problem related above.
I took my Accord 2003 V6 to replace the engine mounts and the engine oil seal. After that the SRS Light was on and the horn doesn´t work anymore.
To replace the engine oil seal, my dealer remove the gear on the down size.
I asked him about the problems and he told me there is no relation the problems with the work he did.
Do you know if perhaps the problems can be caused in this kind of maintenance?

Regards,

Marco Saccone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts