Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is another upgrade than I've done on previous vehicles, usually with results that justified the investment. However, the present condition of my stock braking system @ 119k miles is actually pretty good. It was obvious that the p/o had recently installed new brake pads, my original hoses are still in decent shape, and I'm not dissatisfied with the amount of pedal pressure that I already have. So, before I sink $100+ for a set of StopTech lines & brake fluid....do high quality SS braided brake hoses make a substantial difference on a 7th Gen.?

Any guidance from those 'in the know' is greatly appreciated. :thmsup:

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
My answer would be no, it is not worth it. I installed SS lines in the front when I originally installed my Wilwood BBK. 5-6 years later I had one line fail on me while driving to work and lost all my brake fluid and in turn lost most of my braking power. Very scary. I went and bought two OEM rubber brake lines and removed the SS lines for good. I noticed almost no difference in braking power between the rubber and SS lines.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Did you make any modifications to the brake system that increased the brake fluid pressure? No. Do you tokyo drifto on your hydraulic hand brake a lot? No. Then you don't need anything other than factory spec lines.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Not really, unless you race your car.

And even then, I did this mod in 2007 on my 05, and last year I had to replace the lines as they rotted inside the banjo fitting...

Reactions: CarDaddy

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts
SS brake lines do nothing to improve braking power, they just change the brake pedal feel a little bit. Put your money into better pads and high carbon or cryo treated rotors instead.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I second the "better pads & rotors" argument, but I don't think you need anything extreme for a good improvement in stopping distance and pedal feel. I got the "quality" version Raybestos pads and rotors and was immediately impressed with the changes. I LOVE the feel and performance, my only concern is that it seems I could stop much faster than most people behind me in an emergency situation (idiots of Maryland have no sense of "safe following distance").

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:thmsup: Thanks folks, I really appreciate the strait-forward answers. Looks like I'm just going to do a complete brake flush w/DOT4 and call it a day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did a brake job on my v6 6speed, replaced rotors, calipers, pads, and ss brake lines and found the pedal feel much improved. I admit it is more noticeable during a hard stop. I have some Eibach springs, and Tokiko shocks set to their firmest settings. I travel a lot on secondary roads, admittedly at higher speeds, so good brakes are important. If you will never need to stop hard from a hundred or so then OEM is just fine. But, if you have ever done a hard high speed stop with the standard OEM system, you can be out of braking power after one hard stop. There were times I would have the pedal clear on the floor and smoke in the wheel well. The SS lines do a much better job of engaging each caliper equally.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to wake this one up, but I did eventually opt for a complete set of StopTech performance brake lines. Braking feel is greatly improved, even with the stock brake set-up. Not only is the brake pedal firmer, but whole braking system now has a much more balanced feel. The front end no longer seems inclined to dive under moderate braking which has changed how I use the brakes while cornering. Poor investment?.....not 4 me .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts