Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. As anyone experienced any weird stains on the center consol? I tried using the cleaning kits they sell, but it did not work and i do not know where these spots come from.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your description is vague so just a guess but it could be from the hand sanitizer droplets. They contain alcohol and I have seen people with spots on the leather parts as they get eaten by the alcohol. A lot of the hand sanitizers contain 70-ish% alcohol. That is for sure enough to discolor plastic or leather

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your description is vague so just a guess but it could be from the hand sanitizer droplets. They contain alcohol and I have seen people with spots on the leather parts as they get eaten by the alcohol. A lot of the hand sanitizers contain 70-ish% alcohol. That is for sure enough to discolor plastic or leather
Yes it was vague, but I was planning to post pictures once it is day time. Attached are the pictures

I guess if I can not fix this, then does anyone know where you can buy these trim pieces? I could find them for the automatics.. not the manual

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
The entire center piece can be wrapped in vinyl. Here's mine:

The vinyl cost on the order of $20, and took about 3 hours to disassemble, apply, and re-assemble.I won't claim it is a DIY project that anyone could do - I made some errors and probably could re-do it.I'm just putting it out there as an example, and to start discussion.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Did you try rubbing them out?

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
135 Posts
To piggyback onto qman's suggestion - if it comes to it, you could try coating/rubbing it with something like Honda spray cleaner/polish, 303, Pledge, Armorall, Vaseline, etc...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
And there was another recent thread with a similar issue. That member said it was likely from hand sanitizer drips... So if you're using sanitizers in the car, be careful.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Take it slow. Rub one out. If it works rub out another. Just don't drip on the console. Right @jimijam?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The entire center piece can be wrapped in vinyl. Here's mine: View attachment 522981

The vinyl cost on the order of $20, and took about 3 hours to disassemble, apply, and re-assemble.I won't claim it is a DIY project that anyone could do - I made some errors and probably could re-do it.I'm just putting it out there as an example, and to start discussion.
Your vinyal wrap looks really good. Do you mind sharing a link? Are you gonna try to match the trip pieces above as well(like where the NFC is) and the ones on the doors that are similar?

Did you try rubbing them out?
I tried rubbing them with a paper towel and some armorall products. NO go so far... Does anyone have any idea where one could obtain a new one?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Hmmm . . . rubbing one out didn't work. Hmmm.

Reactions: grumpypolecat

·
Registered
314 Posts
Your vinyal wrap looks really good. Do you mind sharing a link? Are you gonna try to match the trip pieces above as well(like where the NFC is) and the ones on the doors that are similar?
That was my second try. I did post some of the details starting here; there are two or three other posts in that thread. On the second try, I found the closer match to the imitation wood in the other parts of the car, the one you see above.

I have no desire to cover all those pieces - you can get a pre-cut kit from RVINYL, in any color you want, to do that. But that was too much work and $$$ for me, and I didn't see the need. I have done a few other bits, tho, like the panels under the window controls. I thought of doing the back of the center console, but it didn't come off as easily as I thought it should so I stopped trying.

The vinyl resists scratches and stains very well. And, well, it is replaceable if it does stain. I had done a scratch test on un-applied vinyl, and it did hold a scratch. But I later discovered it was in the backing, and the vinyl appeared to hold the scratch because it stretched as it is supposed to. On hard plastic, it doesn't scratch easily. I have had some issues with adhesion in the "dimpled" section of the center console, some edge peeling, and there was some stippling where I applied too much heat to get it to stretch easily. It is an amateurish job, but you have to look closely to see than

·
8th Gen Believer
4,013 Posts
I have the same problem. Definitely hand sanitizer. There is a certain upholstery tool -- I don't know the name of it to order one -- but it pops out the center console so it can be painted. There are only a few clips that hold it in place. Anyone know the tool I'm referring to??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts