Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TL;DR My oil was super clear after I changed it myself, meanwhile it was always partly brown / tainted looking when it came back from the dealer.

I've been changing oil since I was about 20, but when I bought my 2014 LX, the dealership offered free oil changes for 2 years, followed by a long-term promo for 18.95 full synthetic + filter change. That's a deal I couldn't pass up since It saved me a few dollars, and I could go grocery shopping next door while I waited for my car. The promo ended January 2018, and the price jumped up to $40, so I decided to take over from there. Last night was the first time I changed this car's oil myself.

With an oil-change promo and speedperk discount at Advance, I got 5qts of CarQuest 0W-20 synthetic and a Purolator filter for 21.99. The whole process of dragging out the floor jack and wrenches, petting the dogs, finding gloves, petting the dogs again, and making myself comfortable working barefoot in my driveway last night at 11pm took about an hour from start to finish.

The oil filter socket adapter that fit the new Purolator filter (as well as every other filter that went on my old 1995 Accord) couldn't grab the OEM Honda filter, I had to put a shop towel in the cup to get a good grip. I really do appreciate the placement of the oil filter on this model. No longer will I have to reach up around my exhaust directly over my head to remove the old filter, they put it in front of the oil pan which I think is just great. I was also happy that the drain plug was snug but not super tight, almost as if the dealer hand tightened it last time they worked on it. The process was all very pleasant and to the point, the easiest oil change of my life.

I only have one issue. When I checked my oil after driving to work this morning, it was so damn clear I had a hard time seeing the line on the dipstick. This in itself is not a problem, but I remembered that every time it came back from the dealer, it was already dark on the stick after a 2 mile drive home. I always double checked that they filled it properly and that it looked like it had been changed (because you never know). I let it drain for like 2 minutes before plugging the drain pan again, so what gives? Do they just pop the pan, drain for 20 seconds, then plug it again? How much old oil did they leave in there every single oil change? Is there some other reason it would be brown within the first 5 minutes of engine run-time after the oil change?

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,198 Posts
People with this suspicion usually mark the filter with a grease pencil or nail polish to see if the oil filter is replaced by the shop. If they get the car back and it's the same one, they paid for a filter that wasn't installed.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,789 Posts
Different oils will be different colors. You can’t judge oil condition or quality by color!

·
8th Gen Believer
4,195 Posts
In dealer logic, since it was free, why bother with the filter?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Different oils will be different colors. You can’t judge oil condition or quality by color!
That had crossed my mind. I feel like there's an automotive proverb in this. "don't judge a lubricant by its color"

·
Banned
14,431 Posts
^Same with people....

·
Registered
794 Posts
Service departments and oil change places will usually plug up the drain bolt once the oil starts to trickle out (drip in a thin stream). This probably leaves about a quarter of a quart of old oil still in the engine.

Not sure if it will effect the color of the new oil. Just make sure you pre mark your wheel's brake dust with finger marks if the dealership does free tire rotations. I personally caught them red handed by trying to skip out on that service.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I purchased a 3 time oil & filter change within 1 year deal from the dealership. After the 2nd oil change, I checked the oil and it was almost clear on the dipstick. Several months and 5K miles later, I went in for change #3 (I had to use the 3rd oil change before the time limit) The service adviser showed me a stripped drain plug, and said it's no good. I explained to him that (although I did not need to, since he has all the records in front of him) the last oil change, and the one before that happened at his dealership, and if anything was stripped, it happened at his shop. He backed down and told me he will check the parts department and not to worry. I got back home, the oil color was darker than the color after change #2.

I don't know if they keep a stripped plug on hand that they show to everyone to keep charging people for nothing, and they did not even change my oil, or if just skipped on changing the filter and changed only the oil. Or they started using a different color oil, which is the possibility I find the least likely. Whatever that was, the feeling was one of finding a fly in your soup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts