Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning!

My wife has a 2015 Accord Sedan V6, that had the occasional starter grind issue. Recently, we took it on a road trip and stopped at a rest area. When she went to start the car, it finally started on the 6th attempt. My wife looked at me and said "fix this!".

I brought it a Honda dealer, they said that they'll charge $139 and hour to look into it. Looking on your / this forum, I see that there was a TSB out for it. One lazy Sunday afternoon in the garage, following the TSB, I rotated the ring gear one bolt. Started was NOT changed nor pulled. My wife reported that it hasn't acted up in a month! She's very happy.

With that said, thank you all for this forum and input.

Great Day!
John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice, how long did it take?

I just went to the dealer yesterday for this exact thing. 2013 V6, 840plus tax.

The starter alone is 450.

Didnt get it done. Replacing starter doesn't look to bad. But the part you did kinda does.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It took me just under two hours at a nice leisurely pace, in a rented garage floor space.

Car ramps, two jacks stands, floor jack, and some hand tools. I recommend a nice torque wrench too.

1. The "hardest" part was rotating the crankshaft in 45 degree increments to get to, and remove, each one of the bolts.
2. Turn the flexplate by hand, one bolt hole.
3. Put in the bolts one at a time (to finger tight).
4. Tighten to specs and use white shoe polish to mark it completed.
5. I took it a step further and rechecked torque on those eight bolts.
6. Reassembled everything, put the RF wheel back on, and started the car 5 times with no issues.

Steps 1, 3, 4, and 5 each took one complete crank turn (or viewed another way, thirty two, 45 degree increments in total)

I needed to read about it a few times and saw a YouTube video about it, made by "hondamechanic" or something like that. That video was found on this site. I did one thing at a time to "simplify" the process in my mind. Once completed, I realize that I made it harder than necessary.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you. I'll check for the videos as well.

Having a lift I'm sure helped out a lot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
It took me just under two hours at a nice leisurely pace, in a rented garage floor space.

Car ramps, two jacks stands, floor jack, and some hand tools. I recommend a nice torque wrench too.

1. The "hardest" part was rotating the crankshaft in 45 degree increments to get to, and remove, each one of the bolts.
2. Turn the flexplate by hand, one bolt hole.
3. Put in the bolts one at a time (to finger tight).
4. Tighten to specs and use white shoe polish to mark it completed.
5. I took it a step further and rechecked torque on those eight bolts.
6. Reassembled everything, put the RF wheel back on, and started the car 5 times with no issues.

Steps 1, 3, 4, and 5 each took one complete crank turn (or viewed another way, thirty two, 45 degree increments in total)

I needed to read about it a few times and saw a YouTube video about it, made by "hondamechanic" or something like that. That video was found on this site. I did one thing at a time to "simplify" the process in my mind. Once completed, I realize that I made it harder than necessary.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. The YouTube you referenced is:

What direction did you turn the crankshaft to spin the torque converter CCW (to remove the eight bolts) per the service bulletin 16-002?

The YouTube video above mentions a CW rotation of the crankshaft, but it also has one bad verbal reference regarding the direction of rotation for the torque converter. I'm hoping to get confirmation from your experience so I don't turn my engine the wrong direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, that's the video.

From the RF wheel well (after removal of wheel), I turned the crankshaft clockwise to get to the bolts.

Hope that helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts