Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
‘13 Accord EX - Alabaster Silver Metallic - I4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ‘13 Accord has had an issue since about 115,000 miles, and when I try to start it up, the starter seems to not want to engage. It’s not a battery problem because my radio works and it throws it into accessory mode.

I have to try sometimes over 10 times to get the car to start.

Anyone else having this issue?

· V6 Supremacist 😎
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
2,263 Posts
I4 or V6?

· 2015 accord sport
218 Posts
My ‘13 Accord has had an issue since about 115,000 miles, and when I try to start it up, the starter seems to not want to engage. It’s not a battery problem because my radio works and it throws it into accessory mode.

I’ve replaced my starter twice already and I only have 77k miles on my 2015 sport, not saying all 9th gen has bad starter but it is not uncommon, definitely stay away from cheap Amazon & eBay starter if yours go bad, they just don’t last long, you get what you pay for, putting out cash to buy another starter is easy but the install is what I hate, very tight area to work in, took me about 1.5 hours. Good luck

· Registered
706 Posts

Yes, a lot of starters have acted the same way on the I4 engine. Mine did, too. Replaced it and no further problems. It is a tight squeeze, but easy enough for most driveway mechanics.

· Registered
283 Posts
Agree with all posts above. The issue is a bad starter. I’ve replaced mine twice in 58k miles. Replaced the first time with an auto zone starter because it was the only place i could get one same day. Ended up replacing it again three months later. Nice thing is it’s got a lifetime warranty i guess…… it was 1/3 the cost of OEM and we know OEM don’t last long either so…..

· Registered
83 Posts
Theres contacts inside that get pitted. Usually a few turns of the key will blow past it but if yours is doing it, why wait til total failure?
I replaced mine with a Denso starter.
Its a PITA to get to owing to an axle in the way so jack your car high and use jack stands.
A mechanic with a lift could change it in less than a half hour. Lying on your back in the driveway about an hour once the car is in the air.

· Registered
2015 Accord EX sedan 6MT Alabaster Silver
40 Posts
Just because the radio works doesn't mean your battery is good. If you've recently replaced the battery, or you had it tested, maybe it's good. It could still be a bad starter. However, if the battery is not strong enough, it won't have enough juice to start the starter. Try jump starting it, or just get the battery tested.

· 2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,640 Posts
Theres contacts inside that get pitted. Usually a few turns of the key will blow past it but if yours is doing it, why wait til total failure?
I replaced mine with a Denso starter.
Its a PITA to get to owing to an axle in the way so jack your car high and use jack stands.
A mechanic with a lift could change it in less than a half hour. Lying on your back in the driveway about an hour once the car is in the air.
In my V6 I did the replacement from the top side. The i4 may be different

Just because the radio works doesn't mean your battery is good. If you've recently replaced the battery, or you had it tested, maybe it's good. It could still be a bad starter. However, if the battery is not strong enough, it won't have enough juice to start the starter. Try jump starting it, or just get the battery tested.
I wanted to think the intermittent start was a battery or relay issue even though everyone kept saying "it's the starter". I spent time charging the battery and then checking it etc, checked all the relays etc but the issue kept getting worse. Then I bought a low-miles starter from Ebay and installed it and the car has started every single time since. I even sold the old broken starter back to someone on Ebay (clearly disclosing the issue) - probably someone who wanted to open it up and clean it and replace the brushes and probably make it like new

· Registered
88 Posts

Make sure all your battery connections are clean (shiny) & tight (including the ground side). Have the battery load tested as well. Pull out your multimeter & see if you are getting 12v to the starter. What is your charging voltage from the alternator? How old is the battery? What kind of sound are you getting when trying to start the car?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts