Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here is a step-by-step write-up on replacing the starter in a 2007 4CYL Accord. There were a few slightly non-obvious steps so this might benefit others going through the process for the first time.

Step-by-step starter replacement DIY (PDF file):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B023spaMkQOlMTNLTldtV3Q4ajQ

]

Here is a step-by-step write-up on rebuilding the starter in a 2007 4CYL Accord:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B023spaMkQOlVWltaWd3OHUxcFU/view

DriveAccord member "JohnNH" thread on rebuilding the starter:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/15-7th-generation/441482-starter-rebuild-diy.html

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
John, as usual, excellent instructions. I know the many extra hours it takes to document a job and post-editing. Much appreciated here. What symptoms were you getting that led you to diagnose starter failure?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Drew. It was the original starter at ~350k miles so I took it out to rebuild it -- and good thing I did, the brushes were down to a little over 1mm! (new = 11.5mm, service limit = 4.3mm). I will post the rebuild DIY once I finish putting it together -- it was pretty straightforward and the parts (brush set) is about $29 (for the OEM part). I put in a new plunger set as well (about $6) but the original plunger set looked fine. Amazingly, you can also get a brand new OEM armature for $24! (I just resurfaced the commutator on the original armature).

I didn't have any significant symptoms. There were two times when it was cranking and it seemed to have a very slight pause in the middle of cranking which made me wonder if it was starting to go. Also, it did seem slightly slower than usual when cranking (and the rebuilt starter does seem to crank faster, though I am not sure how much of that is my imagination or not...)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Thanks, I'm sure I'll be using this in the future.

Looks like more of a PITA than installing TL-S front sway bar with jackstands.

·
04 Accord Ex V6 Coupe
81 Posts
Just looking at the pictures. I'm glad that I have a V6. I don't have to do all of that. :grin

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Thanks, I'm sure I'll be using this in the future.

Looks like more of a PITA than installing TL-S front sway bar with jackstands.
No... like the sway bar, you now have the instructions. But feel free to let everyone know how you busted it out all by your lonesome. :grin

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
No... like the sway bar, you now have the instructions. But feel free to let everyone know how you busted it out all by your lonesome. :grin
I took your method and added one step and made it 10x better

·
Wannabe backyard mechanic
112 Posts
Thanks for this. I did the starter on mine a few months back and found quite a bit of misinformation online. People taking off the fuel rails, removing the rad fans, etc. Pretty sure I saw one or two videos where people took off the front bumper and radiator for extra room to work.

That lower bracket bolt was such a PITA, being right against the front motor mount, and the edges of the bracket being raised. (And not having a lot of tools.) Overall though, it was a very doable task and saved at least a couple hundred dollars in labor.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,399 Posts
Great job, very detailed. The fancy hose clamps and digital torque wrench made me feel like a caveman with my clicker, haha.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,547 Posts
Just thought I would add a pic for the 2003-2005 I4 guys - the manifold is configured slightly different for the vacuum line, its on the back of the manifold, not easy to see, but not hard to realize.

And, you can leave the coolant lines and throttle cables connected to the throttle body, and just tip the whole manifold to the side, out of the way as you can see I did.

Maybe 9 bolts, and a dozen or so connectors and hoses. That front starter bolt comes right out with a pipe slipped over the 1/2" ratchet (Not in pic). Then, for easier reinstallation of that bolt, be sure to clean off that last thread on the end of the bolt, it is exposed to the elements and makes for a tedious removal, but goes right in if you clean that thread off.

Hour and a half, done. Easy to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Just reused the intake gasket? Would you recommend that?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I actually put a new one in, because a friend of mine said it is a crush gasket and its cheap. I'm sure you could re-use it, but I did not.
I don't think its a crush gasket but I think there is a black coating on it that produces the seal. Did the new gasket have a black coating on it? I just did this on my 4 cylinder and reused the old gasket, haven't started it yet but I think most of the coating was worn off the gasket. So I am probably going to take the manifold back off and use a new gasket.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,547 Posts
I don't think its a crush gasket but I think there is a black coating on it that produces the seal. Did the new gasket have a black coating on it? I just did this on my 4 cylinder and reused the old gasket, haven't started it yet but I think most of the coating was worn off the gasket. So I am probably going to take the manifold back off and use a new gasket.
Did your old one have a little crinkle around the edges of the intake holes? Mine did - the new one comes perfectly flat. I'm not sure that black "coating" or what ever you want to call it is going to seal much if anything. It was totally dry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts