Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, would love your opinions on this. I think I have fuel pump/filter issue?

My car starts just fine after sitting for short periods of time, it turns right over and starts up. However, first thing in the morning, or after not driving it for several hours, the car turns over strong but doesn't start unless I lay on the gas pedal for several seconds. Even then it takes 2 or 3 times of doing that to turn the engine over and start the car. Once it's running it runs great.

It seems like the fuel pressure goes away over time and it needs to be re-pressurized fully before it'll turn the engine over?

Thoughts?

Thanks
DB

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Try cycling the ignition key 2 or 3 time (ON/OFF) before cranking the engine. This will prime the fuel system. If it then starts normally, you are losing pressure somewhere (fuel pump, leaky fuel line, etc).
If the engine runs rough for a few seconds after starting, you may have a leaky injector dumping fuel into one of the cylinders.

·
Elvira
3,612 Posts
the fuel pressure regulator is leaking. It is a slow leak so you won't notice it when you start the car repeatly after a short while but takes what seems forever to start after sitting, say overnight.

the fuel rail holds some fuel to start but since the fuel leaks "back" out the regulator you need to repressurize the rail.

This is indicative of a ruptured diaphram in the regulator. You can verify the rupture by removing the fuel line at the regulator after letting the engine sit off for a few minutes. If the regulator is NOT ruptured there should be no fuel in that line. If the diaphram IS ruptured you will find fuel in the line and it may or may not drip slowly out the regulator. this is the fuel leaking out of the fuel rail under the pressure still in the rail.

nehonda pointed to the fact where other things could be leaking also. the regulator is the cheapest component to try first other than a leaky fuel line. I would hazard a guess that would smell of raw fuel though if it were the fuel line itself.

Keep us posted of what you find is the fix.

Miker

1 - 3 of 3 Posts