Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of long; sorry.. Sort of a follow-up to my prior posting, actually. I had a power steering fluid leak repaired 8/19/2021. When I went to pick it up, I asked the mechanic (local shop) if they used the Honda-specific power steering fluid. He pointed to the generic (DOT3?) quart on the shelf in the lobby. I told him that Honda has a specific power steering fluid.. I brought a .. 12 ounce bottle with me. He left and returned a few minutes later, with most of the bottle gone.

I asked him HOW he had drained the DOT3 fluid out so quickly. He said that they had a “special tool.”

I was heading through the Town Center on 8/11/2022 (roughly a year later). The road is very rough; they were doing water main work earlier this year. Got to my destination; drove back through the area on my way home. I went to use the car 8/16, and the car sounded god-awful when I started it. I immediately shut it down. Based on the prior problem – I first checked the power steering fluid reservoir – completely empty..

I’ll skip the three diagnoses I performed. I had it towed to a Monro shop on 9/17. The mechanic shined a flashlight on the power steering rack, and the seal failed. The fluid was sliding down the side of it like water along the side of an infinity pool..

So – my question is this: do I have possible recourse / a legal claim against the shop that did the repair a year ago, and put the wrong fluid in? I’m thinking if the DOT3 fluid had gotten into the system, it would have damaged the rack and pinion seal earlier than that. Which leaves: the rack was jostled so badly while driving on the beat-up street, that it was the cause.

·
Turbo lag
2,719 Posts
Like DOT3 brake fluid? That probably ate the seals.
I don't know if you can or have the basis. They can just say that you put the fluid in and blame you for it.

·
DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
1,775 Posts
I doubt a shop would put brake fluid into power steering, because they do give warranty (1 year?) on jobs performed, that's looking for trouble for themselves. Unless you are absolutely sure about brake fluid being used, you probably can't blame the shop.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,873 Posts
Every state has different laws on events like yours. But as is said above ^^ by visionguru, you'd have to have proof.

·
Honda Enthusiast
I drive a BMW now. 🇩🇪
3,637 Posts
The bottle the mechanic referred to was most likely generic power steering fluid or ATF. No shop would put brake fluid in a power steering system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts