Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Elvira
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly are the ergonomic "bumps" supposed to do?
How are we to use them? :dunno:
Grip the bumps or hook thumbs under them. I hook under them myself.
Never had them on any other wheel so curious enough to ask.
Does it angle hands properly to activate paddles? V6 6A so no paddles in this car to experiment with.
10/2 they get in the way, 9/3 seem ok so far.
Miker

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I think that they make it more comfortable to hold the wheel at the proper locations 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock as opposed to the old method of 10 and 2. This position is considered preferable in the even of an accident the airbag deploying will not break your wrists. Some even suggest using 8 and 4 to make sure your arms are not in the way of the airbag. The bumps are a good place to rest your thumbs.

·
Elvira
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree it does make 9/3 more comfortable.:thmsup:
seems like an awful lot of designing in the wheel just to do that though.
Miker

·
To me my board!
115 Posts

For the 3/9 position the wheel is fine but on longer trips most people drop one hand and steer from the bottom of the wheel. This is where the 2013 wheel fails. The bottom opening is too small and the small openings to the left and right of the bottom one are too far offset... if you hook your hand in one or the other they are far enough off center to cause the wheel to drift one way or the other.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

For the 3/9 position the wheel is fine but on longer trips most people drop one hand and steer from the bottom of the wheel. This is where the 2013 wheel fails. The bottom opening is too small and the small openings to the left and right of the bottom one are too far offset... if you hook your hand in one or the other they are far enough off center to cause the wheel to drift one way or the other.

I just switch off removing one hand to let it rest while keeping the other one at the proper position. I never thought about steering from the bottom.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
Holding the bottom isn't going to give you the range it takes to turn the wheel for an avoidance maneuver FYI.

In other news, my lights dim noticeably when I'm stopped or parallel parking and turn the wheel at night. I'm sure it's because the cheap OEM battery Honda uses and I'm gonna have to pop for one myself n

·
To me my board!
115 Posts
Holding the bottom isn't going to give you the range it takes to turn the wheel for an avoidance maneuver FYI.
Wow... thanks, never knew that... OK, I did, that was sarcasm... FYI :lmao:

In other news, my lights dim noticeably when I'm stopped or parallel parking and turn the wheel at night. I'm sure it's because the cheap OEM battery Honda uses and I'm gonna have to pop for one myself n
Possibly a bad batch of batteries... no problem with mine or my neighbors.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It is funny how ergonomics are always incompatible for someone, personally the bumps help me stability the wheel particularly one covered with a slippery leather membrane. I just wish the steering in particular was more stable under highway speeds, too much drifting for my liking.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,338 Posts
What exactly are the ergonomic "bumps" supposed to do?
How are we to use them? :dunno:
Grip the bumps or hook thumbs under them. I hook under them myself.
Never had them on any other wheel so curious enough to ask.
Does it angle hands properly to activate paddles? V6 6A so no paddles in this car to experiment with.
10/2 they get in the way, 9/3 seem ok so far.
Miker
Its to wrap your hands around. When you wrap your hands around the wheel you are essentially making a loose fist. Since your middle finger is longer it makes a bigger diameter to wrap around to create better comfort.

Jay

·
Elvira
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its to wrap your hands around. When you wrap your hands around the wheel you are essentially making a loose fist. Since your middle finger is longer it makes a bigger diameter to wrap around to create better comfort.

Jay
That makes total sense. Did a little snooping around on driving technique videos and they did mention loosely grip wheel. I'm not a white knuckler mind you but more of a thumb grip around the wheel.
I will try this method.
Miker

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.