Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just bought my 2013 LX-S Accord. Big upgrade over my 1997 Accord. :) One thing I noticed is that with my old accord the steering wheel would lock. I am assuming that was in place for security reasons. In my new Accord the steering wheel does not lock. Is that on purpose because it is not necessary because of the other security features? Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
190 Posts
It should lock, you might just have to turn the steering wheel more to get it to click.

And I have a question for you (and others), why do people keep listing their model as "LX-S". There is no LX-S, unless they mean Sport? Or is that a Canadian model?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Hi all. I just bought my 2013 LX-S Accord. Big upgrade over my 1997 Accord. :) One thing I noticed is that with my old accord the steering wheel would lock. I am assuming that was in place for security reasons. In my new Accord the steering wheel does not lock. Is that on purpose because it is not necessary because of the other security features? Or am I missing something?
Mine locks when the car is shut off by pressing the the start/stop button. This is explained in the Owner's manual. When I press the start button I can hear the solonid unlock the steering wheel.

I am sure you will enjoy your new car better if you take some time and read the owner's manual. These cars have a lot of technology that your old Accord didn't. You will find most of the answers in the in the owner's manual. You can download a PDF version with links from Honda's website. I carry it on my iPad and search it often to find information easily.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It should lock, you might just have to turn the steering wheel more to get it to click.

And I have a question for you (and others), why do people keep listing their model as "LX-S". There is no LX-S, unless they mean Sport? Or is that a Canadian model?
LX-S Coupe. Look it up. It exists trust me. And I am in Seattle WA. Check out this link:

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-coupe/price.aspx?Model=CT1B3EEW

And no matter how much I turn the steering wheel it won't lock. I don't want to break anything either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine locks when the car is shut off by pressing the the start/stop button. This is explained in the Owner's manual. When I press the start button I can hear the solonid unlock the steering wheel.

I am sure you will enjoy your new car better if you take some time and read the owner's manual. These cars have a lot of technology that your old Accord didn't. You will find most of the answers in the in the owner's manual. You can download a PDF version with links from Honda's website. I carry it on my iPad and search it often to find information easily.
I have an LX-S model. No Start-Stop button. And of course I read the owners manual - cover to cover and I only read about the steering wheel locking on models that have the start/stop button but not the Accord models without it.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I have an LX-S model. No Start-Stop button. And of course I read the owners manual - cover to cover and I only read about the steering wheel locking on models that have the start/stop button but not the Accord models without it.
Glad to hear you read the owner's manual. It's on page 112 of the Coupe manual. I am sure that you will love this car.

If you can't get ti to lock than you may want to take it to your dealer and have them look at the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear you read the owner's manual. It's on page 112 of the Coupe manual. I am sure that you will love this car.

If you can't get ti to lock than you may want to take it to your dealer and have them look at the car.

In my old Accord I heard a "click" when I turned the wheel and then the wheel could not move in either direction. With my new Accord I turn the wheel and no click or lock can be felt. And I did see that page in the manual. So does the steering wheel lock work differently with new Accords?

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
IIRC, my previous Hondas didn't necessarily lock up unless the wheels were turned a little, and then sometimes, you couldn't turn the key unless you sawed at the wheel a little while turning the key out of "LOCK."

Back in the day (~'80s), yes, steering columns on GM products, say, would lock if you turned the wheel a little after turning off the ignition. Not so much Honda products. :dunno:

And yes, on Hondas with the SmartKey, you'll hear the solenoid locking the column electrically when you turn the power "OFF," and when you turn it "ON," or if the car is "START"ed directly from "OFF" by touching the brake pedal. (Just from habit, when starting all my Hondas, especially when the car's cold, I would "pause" the key in the "ON" position for a second before starting the car, in order to let things "boot up." With the SmartKey in the Touring, that takes two presses of the "START" button, then I touch the brake and hit the button a third time to start the car.)

·
Retired G-Man
776 Posts
You're pressing the Start button 2 more times than you should.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts