Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone experiencing any type of noise in there steerin wheel. My 2013 accord Ex has been making a creak like noisr inside the sterring wheel cover. To be honest it is kind of low but annoying. My car has 9500 miles now and I started hearing the noise at about 7000 miles.What could be causing this creakind sound, It only happens when I turn the steering wheel. Btw this sound does not happen all the time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Does it mostly happen when turning left? And does it sound like the sound is a squealing sound, coming from the brakes? It could be related to TSB 12-081. I had the issue start around 10,000 miles. Took it to a dealership, had TSB 12-081 performed, and the sound went away for good.
Honda TSB 12-081
Front Brakes Squeal or Scrape

SYMPTOM
While turning, a squealing or scraping noise is heard from the front brakes.

PROBABLE CAUSE
The disc brake pad retaining clip (retainer) shifted and is touching the rotor.

VEHICLES AFFECTED
2013 Accord – 2-Door L4 (Except LX)
From VIN 1HGCT1...DA000001 thru 1HGCT1...DA002001

2013 Accord – 2-Door V6 (Except LX)
From VIN 1HGCT2...DA000001 thru 1HGCT2...DA000937

2013 Accord – 4-Door L4 (Except LX)
From VIN 1HGCR2...DA000001 thru 1HGCR2...DA050377

2013 Accord – 4-Door V6 (Except LX)
From VIN 1HGCR3...DA000001 thru 1HGCR3...DA009828

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Center the retainer in the brake pad holder, and apply a thin coat of Molykote M77 to the edges of the brake pads where they contact the retainer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's likely TSB 13-029. It has to do with with the cable reel being installed incorrectly from the factory. I had it fixed but they damaged my airbag cover as a result. I got them to replace my airbag cover but they screwed up the install of the cable reel again. They also scratched the HFL plastic shrouds on the sides of the steering wheel.

I would recommend dealing with it unless you absolutely trust your dealership to not scratch or damage something. In my experience, dealer service departments do not have the time or patience to install interior parts without damaging something.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure the noise is not brake related, I can hear the creak like noise inside the steering wheel when turning steering wheel. Like I mentioned before it does not happen al the time.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
As I stated, I'm almost sure it's this: http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB/2013/Honda/Accord/Horn as I had this very issue.
This is most likely your culprit. Every now and then a cable reel is manufactured incorrectly and may cause a dragging noise from inside the steering wheel. This is not accord specific though as I have seen it on a small percentage of all honda cars throughout my career as a honda tech. Its covered, so just take it in to be replaced.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ah, now I have found the right thread.

I can deal with the noise, as long as it's not something that's going to fail if I don't get it fixed. (I'm worried that it's the airbag wiring that's being damaged, etc).

Has anyone else had this fix performed with good results?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had this problem addressed. The sound was fixed but they damaged my airbag. Upon replacing that they screwed it up again. Needless to say, I just deal with the sound.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I turned left of right while parking or driving slow at a turn, I heard a quick click in the steering wheel area. Took it to Honda service and they fixed it in a hour, mechanic said he had to tighten something( had a heavy accent). No more clicking sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've always been able to hear the cable-reel/clockspring moving in my car as I turn the wheel, and it gets a bit louder when cold. Is this what is addressed by the TSB, or is this normal for the car? (I figured that you might hear this more since there's less going on with EPS versus hydraulic power steering.) :dunno:

The TSB mentions a "clicking," which I don't hear. Also, my horn hasn't sounded without me hitting the pad, and I wasn't in this TSB's VIN range when my dealer checked. (Of course, I wasn't in the range on the infotainment TSB, even though my version number is two patches behind that listed in the TSB, with a car build date in the February, 2013 timeframe.)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Does it sound like hhhhhhooooooooohhhhoooooooooooooohhhuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmhhhhhuuuuuummmmmmmmmmwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwooooooooooooo?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does it sound like hhhhhhooooooooohhhhoooooooooooooohhhuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmhhhhhuuuuuummmmmmmmmmwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwooooooooooooo?
Nice hydraulic sound imitation. Since the Accord has EPS I just hear a click click sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts