Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
khol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since June, I have had my 2007 Honda Accord SE and now have 97,000 miles on it. Since I got it I noticed that the dye on the foam rubber steering wheel is starting to wear off in places (mainly at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions).

I was wondering if there is a way restore the color (I have the grey interior). The rubber part is in good conditions no cracking or anything. I have too have wiped down the interior with the Armor All wipes.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I bought my car used with 153k on it and the steering wheel was pretty worn, it gets pretty nasty and will start sticking to your hands. I bought a new steering wheel and replaced it (and ruined my clock spring in the process, that was fun.)

If I had to do it again I would just get a decent steering wheel cover. I didn't notice the wear on the steering wheel when I bought it because it had a wheel cover on and I didn't think to take it off. Even after I replaced my wheel I found that I liked the increase in size and grip that the cover provided and I ended up using the cover that came with the car. The stock wheel on the 4 cylinder accord is a little too skinny for my taste.

I have something that looks like this.

·
khol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much did it cost to replace the steering wheel? I know that if I did that I would go with a leather one because I like the premium feel plus I think that it tends to hold up better.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
This is for a 4dr, just to give you an idea

78501-SDA-C91ZA 007 001 GRIP *NH167L* (LEA) GRAPHITE BLACK 565.28 395.70

78501-SDA-N61ZA 007 001 GRIP *NH167L* GRAPHITE BLACK 134.02 93.81

·
Registered
287 Posts

That's why I didn't go with the leather one. :lmao:

But yea that would be a nice upgrade with the palm-swells.

·
lookin' clean
491 Posts
I swapped mine over for a leather and I didnt have any difficulties with the clock spring. probably took me like 30 mins to replace.

·
khol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I apperciate all of your suggestions but I was still wondering if there are any products that I can buy that would put the color back in places where it has just started coming off. I was just wanting to address it before it became a major issue (ie before it started cracking or hardening).

·
4,637 Posts
I'd clean it first with some microfibers and a solution of woolite and water(1:4 ratio). Then it needs to be conditioned. Many choices here, Lexol is one. Start there to see what you're dealing with. If it still looks bad some leather dye may help. Or go to an auto upholstery shop and see what they can do.

·
khol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The price difference is amazing especial when you consider that a leather wrapped steering wheel was only a $60 upgrade!

·
Registered
287 Posts
FYI: Honda calls it a "cable reel", not a "clock spring"- for all of you thinking of doing this.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1618
If you do this right you shouldn't need a new cable reel.

I'd clean it first with some microfibers and a solution of woolite and water(1:4 ratio). Then it needs to be conditioned. Many choices here, Lexol is one. Start there to see what you're dealing with. If it still looks bad some leather dye may help. Or go to an auto upholstery shop and see what they can do.
We're not talkin about leather here. The SEs don't come with a leather wheel, it's some type of synthetic vinyl over foam. It's pretty much done once it starts peeling off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts