Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
V6 Rocks
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought a set of rims from a guy of this forum and here is the link for the details

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=131050&highlight=roderick

So I did the alignments, balancing and tpms swap and hub centric rings when I swapped the stock rims at STS tire shop ($220). But vibrations didn't go away.

Later I got my rims roadforce balanced ($85) at local shop and it rejected one of the front tires so I ended up replacing it with contis extreme dws. ($250 per tire) with road forced balancing. That did take care of the low speed hop but nothing for 65+ vibrations.

The tire shop is saying may be I need to change the rear tires as well. But why rear tires give a shimmy? Oh and roadforced machine found rims to be OK

As you can see this is becoming more of a money pit. what options do I have you guys think?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The rear tires are spinning at the same speed as the fronts so they can vibrate just as much, but it is less likely to be felt in the steering wheel. Another test would be to rotate the rear wheels to the front and see how it feels. If the vibration goes away then there is likely a problem with the tires/wheels which are now on the back. If the vibration is worse then the problem is with set now on the front. The "old" tires apparently have internal problems like a belt separation which causes them to be out of round at high speed resulting in the vibration you feel. I would agree with the tire shop that you need to replace the rear tires if you want a smooth ride.

·
V6 Rocks
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear tires are spinning at the same speed as the fronts so they can vibrate just as much, but it is less likely to be felt in the steering wheel. Another test would be to rotate the rear wheels to the front and see how it feels. If the vibration goes away then there is likely a problem with the tires/wheels which are now on the back. If the vibration is worse then the problem is with set now on the front. The "old" tires apparently have internal problems like a belt separation which causes them to be out of round at high speed resulting in the vibration you feel. I would agree with the tire shop that you need to replace the rear tires if you want a smooth ride.
I have a staggered setup. so putting back rimes in front ones is difficult.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts