Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when turning slowly in an empty parking lot the steering wheel does not return or returns but not all the way to center, If I slow down enough I can actually make the car go in circles with no hands on the steering wheel. If I speed up a little it will start returning in chunks, like 30 degrees and then a pause, then another 30 degrees and so on but in never returns all the way to center.

recent work done on front suspension:
both lower control arms replaced (lose bushings on both, driver side compliance bushing completely shot)
both anti roll bar links (driver side one was broken)
driver side ball joint replaced

I bought the car recently and I hadn't driven it much before getting these parts replaced so I don't know if the steering issue was there before.

I still need to get the alignment done although the car tracks straight and I didn't notice any pulling when driving in a straight line. Could this be just an alignment issue?

·
7th Gear
1,542 Posts
Alignment can very much be an issue, though returning to center is more of a castor issue, which isn't really adjustable on these cars.

I would replace the PS fluid too, as that may be an issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the wheel balancing and alignment done today.
There's a big improvement in the way car feels and handles now.
The car did not pull to the side before but the steering felt kind of loose and required constant correction. Also when going straight with no hands on the steering wheel it would shimmy about half an inch left and right on its own.

Now it feels more stable and tracks dead straight on the highway. Steering wheel shimmy has been resolved as well. I can no longer do circles in the parking lot without holding the steering wheel. It still won't return all the way to center when making a turn though. It returns to about a half or a quarter turn off center and then I have to bring it back. The slower the turn the more pronounced it is, especially when turning from a dead stop. Don't know if this is normal with these cars. It doesn't really bother me that much, it's just that I'm used to the way it snaps back to center in my Altima.

Here's the numbers from the shop that did the alignment:

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

It looks like I spoke too soon. Here's a video I recorded today doing full turns on an empty parking lot from a dead stop. Note the way the steering wheel returns, pretty slow and not all the way.

https://vimeo.com/157761165

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for sharing, I have exactly the problem you had. I own a 2007 Honda Accord and seems like the wheels are not in alignment because on highway at 80-110 km/h, I can feel the engine is shaking sometimes and the steering while is wiggling as well. Steering wheel doesn't return to center at speed lower than 35 km/h. Did you solve your problem yet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts