Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m still waiting for the weekend so I can clean up my car and post pics weather dependent, but here are some teaser pics of my stock wheels being powdercoated. They are satin black in the end, these are just pics during the process. I am happy with the way they came out definitely, I mainly chose satin black because they are so easy to keep clean (rather they always look clean lol). I really only did this because my brother works at a powdercoating shop on Saturdays and I only had to pay for the powder, nothing else, no labor or anything, ended up being basically nothing. I ended up plasti-dipping my center caps and I’m still debating if I’m going to buy the black Acura NSX lug nuts. IDK, something to hold me off until next spring when I can get myself a nice set of summer wheels 19’s or 20’s. I’ll post the end product on my car sometime this weekend, but for now here are some process pictures…..EDIT: Last pic is the end result
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Soooo Frank...

Lets talk...

we are good friends right! haha.. Take advantage of your Bother.. :)...
Haha, hey man if you wanna spend $150 in gas to drive up to Jersey, then yea we can probably talk lol :D

·
niiice!
347 Posts
they look nice.

dunnoif its my screen or internet connection or simply the fact that i have no clue what satin black is, but those rims dont look black to me at all!

im sure its something i mentioned though. lol :(

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
niiice!
347 Posts
it WAS infact my internet connect!

that last picture didnt load for me before.

looks AWESOME man! your bro certainly hooked u up.

A+

·
The Stig's day off...
223 Posts
Looks fantastic. Pics on the car next please! :thmsup:

·
Should Have Went 5peed
309 Posts
Thats Hella Nice! :thmsup:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Wow man! That looks so good! Way better than my graphite spray on my OEMs haha

--Yes powdercoating is more durable BUT, I actually really like the GRAPHITE paint on YOUR rims---Did ya use DURACOAT WHEEL Paint(graphite)?? Did you use CLEARCOAT?

If not Duracoat, what did you use & how DURABLE is it--did ya get a bunch of 'chips' & 'whatnot' OR has the paint held up fairly good or???

I like the fact you didn't have to remove your tires...I'm lazy like that.

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks I’m glad everyone (well almost everyone lol) likes them. For the person asking…..satin black is in the middle of mat black and gloss black. It’s not a dark black and has minimal shine. The last picture is a pretty good representation, but not entirely. I will take multiple pics when they are one my car sometime this weekend.

·
niiice!
347 Posts
actually looks pretty badass couper ! i like it.

i want to powder coat my stocks or buy a spare set and powder coat them in pmm myself. i just dont have the skills for this at all.

how much would ur bro charge ?

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
actually looks pretty badass couper ! i like it.

i want to powder coat my stocks or buy a spare set and powder coat them in pmm myself. i just dont have the skills for this at all.

how much would ur bro charge ?
He does them on the side for $300 for a set double coated including the powder (which is what you want) It’s a decent price considering the shop he works at charges $400 for a set double coated. Of course I got the family discount which was, well nothing lol but yea if your ever in the area and have a spare set drop them off and I can do the leg work for you….but dependant on where you are in NY it may not be worth the drive. Try googling “powdercoating <enter your city and state here>” and give some places a call. I have done the same thing just because I was curious what others charge. I found in my area anywhere from $400 to $500 for a set double coated. You really want to make sure the price you are being quoted is for double coating. I know a lot of prices on the internet are cheap and then you call and it’s for a single coat and the place will always recommend the double as would I unless you’re not really planning on keeping your car/wheels all that long. Sorry for the rambling, you can always PM me as I’m always down to help people out!

PS: there are a bunch of sites, but check out powderbuythepound.com they have a lot of color samples so you can get an idea, but before you actually purchase any powder and/or services you really want to check out the swatches most places have. That way you can see in person what the color looks like and also feel the texture as well as see it on something physical and not a computer screen. I like your idea about doing the PMM, I thought about this as well. I decided against it because when I put the sample next to my car, I decided I didn’t want an exact color match between my wheels and car. Things like this look a lot different in person IMO But really your color possibilities are endless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts