Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acura TL

What do you guys think? Anyone wants to try it?

·
Management
651 Posts
Interesting. But I imagine the better option (less work and reversible) is to simply remove the rubber ring at the bottom of the air box. The one that connects the air box to the resonator (visible in picture).

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How bout just removing the resonator in general?
Sort of an in-between those who want to remove it. But afraid it may $uck up too much junk (?).

This way, one still get sound with some protection (?).

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I would not do that, as it can introduce turbulence from multiple inlet points . I could see maybe a secondary inlet hose just above (middle of right side) stock one, this would be close enough to not alter airflow and give cool air as long as you could route it ok .

You have to be careful that the inlet to MAF sensor is all coming in uniformly .

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
Sort of an in-between those who want to remove it. But afraid it may $uck up too much junk (?).

This way, one still get sound with some protection (?).
I don't see this as any better protection minus there resonator, instead of 3 mid size gaps, it's just one large gap. I've ran CAI and SRi's and the filters do not get too dirty, depending on your living environment.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Isn't this called "gutting the air box?" It's an old reliable trick to let in more air. I'm not sure if adds any power, but it may sound better. Of course the downside is that you'll 5uck in warm air now, just like an SRI. If warm air is okay for you, another cheap option would have been to remove the air box and install a cone filter at the end of that intake hose. The filter would have cost $25 or so and you would have preserved your OEM box.

·
port & polish everything
1,698 Posts
I would not do that, as it can introduce turbulence from multiple inlet points . I could see maybe a secondary inlet hose just above (middle of right side) stock one, this would be close enough to not alter airflow and give cool air as long as you could route it ok .

You have to be careful that the inlet to MAF sensor is all coming in uniformly .

exactly, at best it does nothing, at worst it would hurt flow.
the engineers run a CFD model of the intake tract through a computer and the stock intake is usually well tuned across the entire RPM range.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Isn't this called "gutting the air box?" It's an old reliable trick to let in more air. I'm not sure if adds any power, but it may sound better. Of course the downside is that you'll 5uck in warm air now, just like an SRI. If warm air is okay for you, another cheap option would have been to remove the air box and install a cone filter at the end of that intake hose. The filter would have cost $25 or so and you would have preserved your OEM box.
"Swiss-cheesing" the airbox was/is an extremely popular modification for MKIII Jettas/Golfs (and probably others). The folks over at VWVortex forums actually showed that it produced better results, for those cars than an SRI. I ended up going a step further and cut away the whole bottom, fender side of my airbox on my old Jetta & it worked quite nicely. This was for the 2.0 (2.slow) ABA 4-cylinder engine. I'm not sure if the VR6 guys were doing the same.

I don't think it delivered any more peak power, but I think it altered the torque and/or horsepower curves for the better, because there was a decided improvement in how it felt. Of course, those cars probably had a lot more restricted air flow (in stock configuration) than our 8th Gen Accords & had more to gain by freeing it up some.

·
Registered
77 Posts

regarding the turbulence, wouldn't the air filter reduce or eliminate that?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Ok, I think this is in line with this thread. It's an old 7th gen item, but I suspect it can easily be done with an 8gen as well. It gives you cold air, some sound (growl), and it's cheap. And if you want to laugh at it a little it's all right, I'll understand. :) Check it out:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11869

·
lol wut
570 Posts
I'd rather just remove the entire intake resonator and put some flexible chicken wire around the bottom inlet to prevent major particles from entering the air box, that way when you want to go back to stock, just pop the resonator back in.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
regarding the turbulence, wouldn't the air filter reduce or eliminate that?
The filter would help , but might not eliminate turbulence .

The first thing to see if there is any pressure drop caused by the intake ducting using a manometer . Gen8 have pretty nice size ducting compared to other, older vehicles .

·
Also available in sober.
499 Posts

Nothing to worry about at all. Airflow would be smoothed out by a trip through the air filter anyway. I can see that being a possibility IF the box was used without a filter - maybe.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Ok, I think this is in line with this thread. It's an old 7th gen item, but I suspect it can easily be done with an 8gen as well. It gives you cold air, some sound (growl), and it's cheap. And if you want to laugh at it a little it's all right, I'll understand. :) Check it out:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11869
LOL, I did that to my 6G AV6 oh...about 8 years ago. It was pretty loud, and had an interesting sound. The growl from the air passing through a piece of dryer hose was definitely unique. It held me over until I got the AEM V2 at least.

·
Registered
124 Posts
"Swiss-cheesing" the airbox was/is an extremely popular modification for MKIII Jettas/Golfs (and probably others). The folks over at VWVortex forums actually showed that it produced better results, for those cars than an SRI. I ended up going a step further and cut away the whole bottom, fender side of my airbox on my old Jetta & it worked quite nicely. This was for the 2.0 (2.slow) ABA 4-cylinder engine. I'm not sure if the VR6 guys were doing the same.

I don't think it delivered any more peak power, but I think it altered the torque and/or horsepower curves for the better, because there was a decided improvement in how it felt. Of course, those cars probably had a lot more restricted air flow (in stock configuration) than our 8th Gen Accords & had more to gain by freeing it up some.
I did the same trick way back when with my 2002 mk4 GTI 1.8T and I did notice some minimal gains but nothing worth writing home about. For al I know it could have been a placebo effect knowing I did something to the car and paid more attention to something that was already there but it seemed faster..... :paranoid:

After that first mod I experimented with a weird DIY that I'm not even sure where I picked it up from because now I cant even find it on google.....

Basically you took a clean paint can and cut a 3" hole in the bottom and fitted a K&N intake cone and ran the rubber end out the bottom to connect to the intake manifold. Once the bottom is sealed you would then cut another 3" hole on the top lid and connect ether 3" aluminum tubing or smooth (on the interior) insulated dryer tubing and created a vacuumed ram air intake which I ended up LOVING especially in the winter time. The paint-can created balanced vacuum pressure allowing near perfect air induction and positive turbo pressure on the front end. Obviously the GTI is turbo so any extra air you can get to the engine is going to be noticeable but something similar could be possible for an N/A motor if the injectors and exhaust match the application.... Just a thought if anyone is feeling like a DIY. It really is quite simple and safe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts