Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, thanks to a number of members who detailed instructions to changes settings in the audio system my stock sounds are actually very good on USB/MP3 and much better on Bluetooth streaming. No new speakers, amps, or anything else.

Previously on CD/USB I though they were very good until I did some comparison listening. I have been disappointed with BT, XM, and FM sound quality.

I changed the DSP settings to "Flat On" which helped BT sound quality signigificantly. Instead of having to crank the volume to 22, I can now play it at 12-14 with the same output as the ears hear it. For non Nav car, the menu access is Vol+Disp+Back. Settings are changed on the upper screen via the scroll wheel, not the touch screen.

The biggest improvement came when using the USB. With the Flat set to "on" I can actually tell a difference between the sub set from to 1 or 6. Additionally, I don't have to turn the volume up as loud.

Sound quality is 100% improved with flat "on". I got an old ipod and loaded up music and will leave it in the cubby as a portable HD (solves the issue of the system not recognizing Android phones and poor flash drive user integration that some have mentioned).

I can leave the ipod plugged in at the cubby under my home made cover from prying eyes.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
Yeah we've covered this in the pinned audio thread.

Glad you like the results!

·
Registered
227 Posts
next will you try the towel slices stuffed into the rear deck area for an even more improved sound/less rattle? I know that's next on my agenda as I did the DSP/Flat trick week one of getting my Accord. The new sound is a huge improvement and someone what reminiscent of a rattlesnake...truly a minor inconvenience though.

·
No PRND
583 Posts
I think I read this in the other thread but that "flat on" setting doesn't work for the Sport/LX model right? I'll probably go try it right now anyway.

I use an ipod or stream Pandora through my phone (bluetooth) and I don't have any complaints about the way it sounds. With my bass settings maxed and warm-weather-windows-down-up-the-volume-to-25 around the corner, I am wondering how long my speakers will last. Also, I hook up my ipod and feed the cord into the cubby above and its not too unsightly (black cord, blends in). With my phone charger there, you don't even notice it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tried on my 2013 Sport. Nothing.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Op, how did you make that cover. I love it!

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried on my 2013 Sport. Nothing.
It must be a "premium audio" feature.

The important thing for those of us who can adjust is that it really "opens up" the sound. Honda either has no clue or doesn't care by factory setting the DSP to off. I'll never understand that.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Op, how did you make that cover. I love it!
Thanks, I wish I could claim it as original. Methinks glen e was the originator.

It's a simple piece of cut 1/8" plexiglass with a woodruff key as a handle stuck on with superglue. Here is a link. No hinges or mechanicals, it is a simple "set it and forget it" to quote Ron Popiel (Ronco Kitchen Magician, Food dehydrator, etc)

another link

It can be covered in any material you like of course. I prefer the 3M Bubinga wood.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah we've covered this in the pinned audio thread.

Glad you like the results!
I debated whether to start yet another audio thread at the risk of another thread being started about "too many audio threads" LOL.

Love the results, especially with the ipod that will sit in perpetuity as a portable hard drive. Bluetooth as mentioned is also much better.

·
Standard Equipment
38 Posts
I'm going to try that. My biggest problem is that I have my Android phone hooked up via an auxiliary cable and when i play music through it, the bass gets cancelled out if the song I'm playing is very bassy. So it ends up sounding distorted.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I will give it a try later today. I keep my music and podcasts on my second generation iPod Touch which I store in the covered cubby above USB and power plugs. I bought a seven inch black iPod cable which is feed to the cubby through a cut out in the bottom of the cubby. The black cable blends in with the black surfaces and is not very noticeable.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don't forget that you can also use an external USB hdd for music storage.
I have a 500 GB WD drive that works great with the head unit via USB.
Wish I had the Premium system to allow the tweakage, but oh well..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the cover. I'm tired of taking the iPod out and would like to leave it in the car also. I might add to when researching tips on EQ settings on my iPod to even better balance the sound I found some interesting info on different iPods from both the macrumors site and a link for those interested in purchasing an iPod. I found an informative link on the best sounding iPods if your going to purchase. I lucked out apparently as my old one that I'm using for the accord happened to be a late 2005 5th gen iPod with the Wolfson audio chip already in it. These iPod buff's go on to describe the differences in chips used.
http://macintoshhowto.com/itunes/which-ipod-has-the-best-audio-quality.html
Additionally, these older iPods can be still be found at good prices on fleabay and other sites. I've no other iPod to compare different generation iPods with the different audio chips so I'll have to take their opinions at face value. But, if just changing the setting in the accord makes that bit of a difference, maybe there's something to differences in these iPods too..

I forgot to ask II Kings, does this USB keep the iPod charged when not in use? I couldn't seem to find this doing a search on the web.There were such a variety of answers it was never clear, thanks. BTW, the bubinga looks great with the ivory. I've considered the B&I kit down the road using their birdseye. I like it more than the darker burls with the ivory interiors.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Well, since I just finished giving my baby a bath and vacuuming the interior, why not try a little sound tweakage, right? :D Thanks for posting this separately from the main audio thread. Those of use not interested in major audio component replacement may never have seen this otherwise. Now, back to the car to give it a try!

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
Don't forget that you can also use an external USB hdd for music storage.
I have a 500 GB WD drive that works great with the head unit via USB.
Wish I had the Premium system to allow the tweakage, but oh well..
Does the HDD offer advantages over flash drive other than the amount of storage?

What about the effect of summer heat on the HDD?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I forgot to ask II Kings, does this USB keep the iPod charged when not in use? I couldn't seem to find this doing a search on the web.There were such a variety of answers it was never clear, thanks. BTW, the bubinga looks great with the ivory. I've considered the B&I kit down the road using their birdseye. I like it more than the darker burls with the ivory interiors.
Yes, the iPod stays charged while plugged into the USB port.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I gave it a try and I can't really tell that much difference. However, here are the pics of how I have my iPod stored in the car. In the top photo you can see the little cutout just above the USB port to allow you to run the iPod cable up to the covered cubby with the door closed. I leave the little door at the right in the open bin open all the time. The black seven inch iPod cable is not noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
what I'd give for the little cubby type door in that area!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts