Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how this setup would be. I don't want to change the look of the stock head unit but I want to upgrade the speakers. With a budget of under $300 for the replacing 4 speakers do you think this would be worth it over stock or would I need an amp or something to help the speakers? Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
577 Posts
what year is the car?

·
Registered
224 Posts
i ran this kind of setup for a couple months. aftermarket speakers sounded better than OEM. you wont need an amp to run the speakers

·
Registered
577 Posts
i'm still trying to figure out which speakers will fit in the 8th gen coupe door.. i know quite a few 5 1/4 will fit but i don't wanna downgrade the size... any other 6 1/2's ppl know will fit?

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Replacing the OEM speakers with a good set of aftermarket speakers makes a big difference. However, the OP failed to mention what kind of car he has. If you buy speakers that have a lower power rating, they will work well with the stock head unit.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
05 Accord coupe ex. Non-navi. Thanks for the responses guys. Any suggestions for under $300?

·
Legitimate hack
1,673 Posts
Anything that sounds good to your ears.

·
SX8 piranha
48 Posts
Replacing the OEM speakers with a good set of aftermarket speakers makes a big difference. However, the OP failed to mention what kind of car he has. If you buy speakers that have a lower power rating, they will work well with the stock head unit.

If you buy speakers that have a lower power rating, they will work well with the stock head unit. can you please tell us the specific power rating that we should buy(like should be lower than....)?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm using the speakers that Hillstones suggests, and I really like 'em. I got 'em through Crutchfield, and the adapter rings they sent me didn't work. The ones you need are the Metra 82-7803. They make the job a cinch. Spend $13 at Harbor freight and get a set of interior pry tools to remove the rear grilles and the door panels - it's $$ well spent. Here's links to the tools:
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-nylon-pry-bar-installer-kit-95214.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
stock with aftermarket speakers

As far as I know, the best option to keep stock HU and setup and aiming for aftermarket sound quality is by purchasing one of those signal processors. For example, the JL audio cleansweep and fosgate 3sixty.2.

·
Registered
628 Posts
interesting that those JL coaxes look a LOT like the Alpine ones I got my g/f a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
562 Posts
One specification to look at is sensitivity. Sensitivity measures how much sound a speaker will give forth from the power applied to it. If you have a low-powered system (our factory amplification for example), speakers with high sensitivity ratings will make the best of the power.

Of course this isn't a set rule, there are a lot of variables.

Is it worth it? Hard to say, everyone is different. It may be worth it to you, but to me personally I suppose I wouldn't bother.

That being said, I did replace my front speakers with CDT components. My Alpine amplifier powers them with 150 watts RMS. I also added sound dampening to my doors to try and kill the vibration noise. It's ok, but I'm spoiled by my fancy home audio equipment :D

·
Registered
926 Posts
A speaker would have to be super sensitive to make good use of the factory hu

something 96db+

Which is very very uncommon in component sets.

·
Registered
132 Posts
A speaker would have to be super sensitive to make good use of the factory hu

something 96db+

Which is very very uncommon in component sets.
Check the Hertz line comps...their basic line is very efficient and is really smooth. My stock HU runs them great.

·
Registered
926 Posts
For the price of the hertz line, might as well get an amp.

80 dollar comps in the right install with some decent power pushing them>high end comps on stock power.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
It's a good Idea. Most know me here for my audio knowledge on this car. There are other great folks on this board to get opinions so in just one. I'm sure since you want to change the door and deck drivers you'd like tighter mid-bass/highs? You also may want a tad more volume too right? My recommendation would be Infinity 6.5 2-ways (leave stock tweeters in place). They have good highs and tighter mid-bass (expesially if you add dynamat). These are 69.99/pr so def in budget. Just my .02... Keep me posted.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts