Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am here just visiting your forums to try to help my mom solve the mystery of her missing 2013 Pearl/White Honda Accord that was stolen from in front of our house on New Year's eve/day sometime between 9pm-3am. No car alarms or suspicious noises were heard either. When my mom reported to Police they told her that it was nearly impossible to steal this type of car due to the factory anti-theft system (kill-switch) unless the thief had a master-key. Is this true?..I mean how likely is it that these persons would have these so-called "master Keys"?? The Police also told her that they are normally able to recover the stolen cars within a few weeks. but realistically, I'm wondering if there is any chance that she will get her car back? i'm thinking that if the car is non-operable then it's in somebody's back yard chop shop and gone for good. Any thoughts?? Please impart some of your wisdom and experiences for me and my mother, oh fellow honda accord enthusiasts, please.

Thank you,
Nicky
Stockton, CA

·
Registered
330 Posts
Not entirely true that new cars cant get stolen. Remember if a thief wants a car they can even flat bed it. Hope you find your car in one piece. Goodluck

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I've seen a lot: Valet guys having extra keys made, Craigslisters selling a car and keeping one key to steal it later, flatbed tow truck drivers stealing them, etc.

I was in Moscow in the 1990s and it was a huge status symbol for the mob guys to drive American SUVs with the American license plates still attached. Saw plenty of them there. They were stolen, driven to Baltimore's port, and shipped.

Remember, it is worth a lot more in parts. :(

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
A tow truck with an autoloader can grab a car in less the 30 seconds without the driver ever leaving the cab.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am sorry for your loss.
It really depends on what kind of coverage you have on your insurance. I am assuming you have the full coverage just because the car is so new. So you should also notify your insurance provide asap. Then they will ask whole bunch of questions regarding who had the access to the vehicle and other questions that might be helpful to recover the vehicle. If they recover, the examiner from the insurance company will access any lost items or damaged part of the vehicle and appraise it will pay you minus your deductible. If the vehicle is not recovered, you will get a fair market value - deductible but it takes longer than damage claims.
Unless you don't have full coverage, your homeowner's insurance might cover the car, again it depends on your coverage, so call the insurance provide.
Good luck

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I was surprised to learn, after a google search, that the 2013 Accord is a highly stolen vehicle. Luckily I keep mine locked inside my garage. Having good insurance is the only thing that will work. Auto thieves are one step ahead of the anti theft technology.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Unfortunately, if they want it bad enough, they'll get it. Years ago I had a 89 Saleen Mustang stolen right out of our locked garage while we slept. Sorry for your loss, I know the sucky feeling! Negotiate hard with your insurance company to get as much as possible to be able to replace it.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
I've seen a lot: Valet guys having extra keys made, Craigslisters selling a car and keeping one key to steal it later, flatbed tow truck drivers stealing them, etc.

I was in Moscow in the 1990s and it was a huge status symbol for the mob guys to drive American SUVs with the American license plates still attached. Saw plenty of them there. They were stolen, driven to Baltimore's port, and shipped.

Remember, it is worth a lot more in parts. :(
Rick, I used to like you until you cast my city in that light...go back to Russia you Communist Illini. Do svedanya!

Yes, I do speak Russian.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I was surprised to learn, after a google search, that the 2013 Accord is a highly stolen vehicle. Luckily I keep mine locked inside my garage. Having good insurance is the only thing that will work. Auto thieves are one step ahead of the anti theft technology.
A pro with a flatbed can steal anything but most of these cars are not.

My '92 Park Ave had a "Pass-Key" antitheft chip. I thought all modern cars with these chips "cant be stolen", they simply wont start and the valet making a copy will open the door or trunk but won't start without the chip. How are people getting around this.

I made a spare key for my 300C that would indeed open the door but would not start the car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There is no mystery...

If the car has a normal key it is just coded... Simple to bypass and they have been bypassed the same way in Hondas forever... cake..

If the car is push button it is even easier..

Or they towed it..

The officer was just ignorant to the technology.

·
Registered
427 Posts
No offense but it looks like your in Stockton CA. That's why right there, I wouldn't even leave a ford pinto parked outside in Stockton.

Hopefully the car is returned to her in one piece

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
There is no mystery...

If the car has a normal key it is just coded... Simple to bypass and they have been bypassed the same way in Hondas forever... cake..
I'll call BS on your "cake" claim. Immobilizers aren't a new technology, I'm sure Honda has figured out how to make it pretty damn hard to bypass.

My money is on it got towed either legitimately or by thieves. Maybe (not sure if it would work) they swapped ECU's to one that's coded to keys they already have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is a horrible feeling. I hope they find it.

I had my Civic stolen once and the police were able to recover it 2 days later within a few miles of my house. They took the stereo and some personal belongings but besides that the car was fine. They had to have had a key as there was no damage to the door or ignition and it was definitely driven. I heard that the thieves like to park it locally for an amount of time in order to make sure that the car does not have GPS theft recovery. Then when the coast is clear they will transport it to wherever. I live in San Jose which is not too far from Stockton.

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
immobilizer over ride code. nuff said.
damn backdoors..

Autowatch immobilizers include:

A confidential override code, so you can always start your vehicle even if your key fob is lost or stolen.
Three-year, unlimited km manufacturer's warranty.
Anti-theft, all black wiring, inconspicuous design and location to avoid thief detection.
Flashing LED display tells you when the system is armed and warns thieves.
Failsafe circuitry — system cannot arm while driving.
Technical support at (800) 646-3132.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funny thing about this is that my parents have the exact same car and someone broke into their home the other day and left the car untouched with the keys just hanging next to it....

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
sorry for your loss, I am not that lucky and I just parked outside 7/11 with my windows down and the keys in it lol as it is 81 degrees today again.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts