Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
What would Jackie Chan do
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do a brake job pretty soon, starting to get the steering wobble from hard braking.
I was wondering what the difference between the V6 and iL4 brakes are, i'm pretty sure the rears are the same.
V6 larger? can it fit the 4? possible brake upgrade?
any ways what are you guys rocking and where did you get it?

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you are not tracking your car... it is pretty much pointless to upgrade the calipers... if its just street driving. Then you should just upgrade disc rotors, pads, and flush out old fluids and call it a day. On the other hand some people have swap out their front calipers for RL 4 piston calipers. IF you do decided to go with that route you MAY need new rims to fit your larger brakes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Even as minimal as good fluid and a nice set of pads will be some of your biggest gains.

I wouldn't bother upgrading rotors unless you need to replace them anyways. You could also consider doing stainless steel brake lines.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you are looking for a bit more performance that will make sure the brake shudder doesn't come back easily, go with cross drilled front rotors. Whatever you do, DO NOT get the cross drilled rotors in the rear as cross-drilled ventilated rear brakes are not an option for our cars, only cross drilled is. This means that the rear rotors are VERY noisy. If you want, get slotted or even resurface your OEM ones.

Now for pads, if you want more bite, definitely upgrade them to something aftermarket. If you want pads that work well as soon as you touch the brakes, you can get them no problem, however they will tend to fade with high heat. If you like to push your car hard, get some Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. They need a bit of heat before they work well (when cold they bite similar to OEM) but as soon as you do some moderate braking, they GRAB that damn rotor ahah

I went with StopTech Cross Drilled brakes all around, with Hawk Performance Ceramic pads all round with a StopTech 600 brake fluid flush. I push my car pretty hard in the back roads and i have yet to experience fade from them yet. 6 months in, and still going strong.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
If you are not tracking your car... it is pretty much pointless to upgrade the calipers... if its just street driving. Then you should just upgrade disc rotors, pads, and flush out old fluids and call it a day. On the other hand some people have swap out their front calipers for RL 4 piston calipers. IF you do decided to go with that route you MAY need new rims to fit your larger brakes.
+1 Exactly!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Forgot to mention that even getting ss brake lines will help.

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RL? that fits on an 09 accord? just the caliper or the entire knuckle assembly?
I would imagine the TL Type S Brembo would be a more up to date brake upgrade.
Anyways who cares about tracking a car, that has more to do with fluid and pads. Rocking a larger single piston or a quad piston caliper is awesome for street use all my cars have 4 pot calipers.

Even as minimal as good fluid and a nice set of pads will be some of your biggest gains.
I'd ptolly use a standard dot 3 and ceramic pads

I wouldn't bother upgrading rotors unless you need to replace them anyways. You could also consider doing stainless steel brake lines.
I was just going to resurface them, but i was wondering if the v6 models were larger and if they would fit. btw ss or teflan brake lines are good for high heat applications like a track car thats constantly on the brakes but they are also known to seize up.

If you are looking for a bit more performance that will make sure the brake shudder doesn't come back easily, go with cross drilled front rotors. Whatever you do, DO NOT get the cross drilled rotors in the rear as cross-drilled ventilated rear brakes are not an option for our cars, only cross drilled is. This means that the rear rotors are VERY noisy. If you want, get slotted or even resurface your OEM ones.

Now for pads, if you want more bite, definitely upgrade them to something aftermarket. If you want pads that work well as soon as you touch the brakes, you can get them no problem, however they will tend to fade with high heat. If you like to push your car hard, get some Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. They need a bit of heat before they work well (when cold they bite similar to OEM) but as soon as you do some moderate braking, they GRAB that damn rotor ahah

I went with StopTech Cross Drilled brakes all around, with Hawk Performance Ceramic pads all round with a StopTech 600 brake fluid flush. I push my car pretty hard in the back roads and i have yet to experience fade from them yet. 6 months in, and still going strong.
^^^
good advice man thanks. I have a lot of experience with Hawk and Stop-Tech so either them for OEM but i really want something ceramic so ill be shopping around.

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have a Brembo brake package on ebay for front rotors and front Brembo ceramic pads for $140, I thought that was a good deal but it says V6 models only.

·
2008 Honda Accord V6 EX-L
674 Posts
Totally agree. BBK is not really a needed upgrade for daily driver. You will definitely need new wheels or spacers if you want to run the RL Calipers.
I got them because I like the way they looked. Totally over kill for what I need. A Good set of pads and rotors will work great. Although if you dont have an EX you can upgrade to the EX calipers. From what I understand its a direct bolt on and isn't really that expensive.

·
Registered
396 Posts
^
Nice what size rims are those? Like you i may want to upgrade my brakes in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts