Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I ordered some new StopTech cross drilled rotors, some Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads and some StopTech Performance Brake fluid. I was wondering if it was worth my while to opt for some stainless steel brake lines while I'm doing the brakes. Let me know what you guys think?

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I would get the Stainless Steel brake lines and not get the Cross drilled rotors, At least with regular rotors you can have them turned, that is not the case with Slotted and cross drilled rotors. I did a similar thing to my Acura TSX, EBC Ultimax slotted rotors, EBC red pads, and stainless steel brake lines, while I was at it I painted the calipers with G2 caliper paint. The problem I am having now is my front rotors are pulsating and the only thing I can do is replace them.

·
5th Gear
557 Posts
Depending on your application for you vehicle. If your going to be doing heavily braking, such as the track, yes indeed. The boiling point of Stoptech's fluid is high. It's not a bad thing to put them on though.

If you plan on upgrading to a BBK in the near future, it will come with the SS lines so just hold your money until then.

I would get the Stainless Steel brake lines and not get the Cross drilled rotors, At least with regular rotors you can have them turned, that is not the case with Slotted and cross drilled rotors. I did a similar thing to my Acura TSX, EBC Ultimax slotted rotors, EBC red pads, and stainless steel brake lines, while I was at it I painted the calipers with G2 caliper paint. The problem I am having now is my front rotors are pulsating and the only thing I can do is replace them.
Did you bed them in correctly? And how long did you have them?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The only negative for SS lines is that the rubber inside can't be seen so you don't know if the condition is degrading. That said, I did use StopTech SS lines and dot 4 fluid when I upgraded and I am very pleased with the improvements.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts

·
5th Gear
557 Posts
Yes, as Doom stated you cant tell the condition inside of the line. But it will prevent rust for a while. Also be sure to antisieze your bolts as you will not regret doing so next time you swap pads and rotors.

The Brakes have been on there 2 years and about 50k miles, the EBC red pads have breakin coating on them http://ebcbrakes.com/product/redstuff-brake-pads/. the brake pulsations started about 20k after install.
hrmmm, I've had the Red Stuff's before and never had that issue. Rotors may or may not be warped now but I'd recommend clean the rotor surface (brake cleaner) sand the pads if there is noticeable uneven-wear and proceed with the bed in process. The bed in is important to do correctly otherwise it will make issues occur a lot sooner than what they should.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you guys think that it will make a noticeable difference? I know the aftermarket pads, rotors and fluid will really make a difference, but wanted to know if it was worth the money to get the lines. :)

·
Spirited Cruiser
19 Posts
@OP, from my experience of installing the rotors and the brake pads first followed by the StopTech brake lines, I can tell you this...the stainless steel brake lines 'complete' your brake upgrade.

Once I had the brake rotors and brake pads installed, I could instantly feel the improved stopping/slowing performance on my car. [I followed the breaking-in procedure detailed on StopTech's website].
At this point I still had my stock brake lines. The car stopped well, but I was lacking the feedback from my brakes - I was braking much harder than required. Or in other words, I was finding it difficult to modulate my brakes / braking. My brakes would feel 'spongy' and then suddenly grip.

Once I installed the stainless steel brake lines, the feedback was sharp. I could feel the exact amount of force my calipers were putting on the brake rotors. I was able to feel and therefore modulate my brakes better.
The stainless steel lines provide a 'virtual' direct connection between your foot and the brake calipers.

I would strongly recommend these to anyone doing a brake upgrade.

Cheers! :thmsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.