Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am currently studying abroad in the UK! Really pumped, except that I can't be with my baby for 4 entire months. We got some garage storage for about $100 a month which wasn't a bad deal. (Small driveway and it is just easier especially if no one would be driving it for 4 months it will be out of the way of getting hit or weathered for most of the winter.) It is nice because the storage is so close to my house and my family can start it a couple times a month.

(About 62k on it and regular oil changes and constant care and maintenance, always has run great!)

Any suggestions for that period of storage besides running it 2 times a month or so? I think it would be nice to have them drive it around the block a couple times, but there is a TON of snow in Ohio currently so that is not an option.:thumbsdow Just curious if anyone does anything specific besides running it and washing it before the storage. Thanks!

**OH also, I had a tiny knick on the window from an unfortunate stone! I am so upset about that. It is not a crack in the window, (yet) I am hoping to avoid a crack at all costs. Anything to do to fix that so it doesn't get worse?

Here she is: (I get to drive her beginning of may!!) :D

Vehicle Car Garage Vehicle door Garage door

·
VTAKKKK
1,154 Posts
Overinflate the tires to avoid a flat spot if it is not going to be driven.

·
No longer active
571 Posts
Over inflate the tires (40 should do it) to prevent flat spots. You can also remove the battery and place on a piece of wood on the floor of the garage.
As for the chip, call an auto glass repair company now. They can inject an epoxy resin that will prevent worsening, such as spidering or growth into a crack. It's pretty inexpensive and most insurance companies will cover (check your deductible).
It's also not a bad idea to get an oil change before you leave.

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Any suggestions for that period of storage besides running it 2 times a month or so?
This does no good, as is actually worse than letting the car sit. Either have it driven to normal operating temperature, or don't touch it.

If you can get a hold of some carpet remnants, place them under the tires (drive the car onto them :). This will help with the temperature change of the concrete.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
The engine will be super dry on that first start. I'll share a trick I learned from when I used to travel for the job and would be gone for weeks at a time.

Pull the fuel injector relay prior to starting the car. Crank the engine a few times for 5 seconds per crank. The car does not start but cranking pumps oil to all the necessary places. Now replace the relay and start the car. This will go far in mitigating the damage done by a dry start after months of sitting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
From my experience with my motorcycle, I filled the tank to full to prevent condensation in the gas tank and mixed in some Stabil fuel stabilizer so the gas doesn't go bad. Put the car up on stands so the tires don't get flat spots or put some carpet underneath the tires like another poster said. Put a rag in the exhaust so animals don't crawl in. I don't reccommend starting the car every now and then, even if you let it get to operating temps, since that builds up condenstation in the car's system that won't go away unless the car is really driven for a while.

·
Registered
133 Posts
All I can tell you is have a good trip! It ****s not being able to drive your baby for a while. But when you return you'll apreciate and enjoy it alot!

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
The engine will be super dry on that first start. I'll share a trick I learned from when I used to travel for the job and would be gone for weeks at a time.

Pull the fuel injector relay prior to starting the car. Crank the engine a few times for 5 seconds per crank. The car does not start but cranking pumps oil to all the necessary places. Now replace the relay and start the car. This will go far in mitigating the damage done by a dry start after months of sitting.
Great tip! Echoing a comment above, starting it and letting it idle for a few minutes does more harm than good. Each time the car engine starts, if possible have someone drive it for at least 20-30 minutes. You want everything to get fully hot, right down to the end of the exhaust system. It also provides a better charge for the battery. On that note, if you don't have access to a battery charger, be sure the person who starts the car brings jumper cables.

·
Registered
44 Posts
4 months is nothing, I do it every year on 3 vehicles. The air pressure is a good idea. Disconnect the battery and do an oil change prior to storage, if you didn't, do it before firing it up.

·
Coldspeed
696 Posts
Park on pieces of wood!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts