Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and i'm trying to help a neighbor fix there leaky powersteering hose thats been leaking for well over a year.

I tried tracing back the hoses, and it lead to one of the two hoses right under the exhaust manifold. I dont believe it is the high pressure hose because I pulled off the heatshield, and I couldnt see a leak from the fitting area under the rack. The other hose right beside it, was drenched had a leak, and believe it had spread to the other. The problem is that its in a real tight location, right under the rack and a frame member? Any thoughts?

Thank you

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and i'm trying to help a neighbor fix there leaky powersteering hose thats been leaking for well over a year.

I tried tracing back the hoses, and it lead to one of the two hoses right under the exhaust manifold. I dont believe it is the high pressure hose because I pulled off the heatshield, and I couldnt see a leak from the fitting area under the rack. The other hose right beside it, was drenched had a leak, and believe it had spread to the other. The problem is that its in a real tight location, right under the rack and a frame member? Any thoughts?

Thank you
If i was the tech working on this car, i would thoroughly clean everything, add an oil dye, and let run. If i saw nothing, i would drive it and then reinspect. If is a big enough leak you wont need dye. But either way its hard to pinpoint a leak when everything is drenched.

Are you sure its a line? are the bellows boots soaked? i have done about a million steering racks on all honda models. all due to leaking end seals. Did my wifes CRV last year and ironically i have to do mine on the accord. with 25k on it. pathetic.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Sometimes these hoses can leak through a pin hole in the hose itself. It oozes so slowly that it will take a minute to build up to a drop. You have to wipe it down clean, start it, and stand there and stare til you find it.

Good luck pal.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,187 Posts
There was a recall on the steering hose. I don't know if it applied to the 2.4 too.

·
Registered
841 Posts
There was a recall on the steering hose. I don't know if it applied to the 2.4 too.
as a honda tech im embarrassed that i can say for 100% certainty, but i think it was just the V6. we dont see many of those recalls anymore. Its funny how you can do things 1000 times and still be foggy. clearly i rely on autopilot more than i should. LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No bellow boots, they are fine, no tears or anything. It definatly one of the hoses though I'm not sure. Where the two hoses meet, the high pressure, not sure what the other is, you can see a bunch of fluid. Can someone tell me what the larger hose is? Return? Thats the one that looks like its leaking

Attachments

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,488 Posts
All of them (return hoses) start leaking at the ends at some point. My V6 has at least 5 different hoses, with hard lines between them. The high pressure hose is one hose going all the way from the rack to the pump. I replaced all of the return hoses last year. I don't know exactly how the lines are run on the 2.4 model, but yes I had to remove the passenger side wheel to get to most of them, and the splash shield under the radiator for a couple. Do what you have to do. I had to lie on top of the engine to get to the lines near the rack. Have fun, I know I did.

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
Do you know the process of replacing the #12 hose? The area looks really tight
I replaced mine through the passenger wheel well.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I had to replace all of mine as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I happened to be buy the junk yard today and pulled out a #12 hose off an accord that looked fairly new. I was gonna take the high pressure line too, but I didnt want to get too dirty doing that. But yes, the clamps do look like they are crap, which is why when I get a chance to replace this, I will add better clamps.

Btw do you know of anywhere that sells OEM or aftermarket hoses for a good price? I called the dealer here in Canada and they wanted like $27 or $28 just for the #12 hose

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Just walk into a parts store and ask for the correct diameter hose and they'll cut off a piece from their bulk roll. I would/should have done that and saved money, but I like how the OEM hoses are pre shaped and all, so I just used OEM. Not a requirement by any means though.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,488 Posts
I tried an aftermarket hose on the first one, and it was a big pain in the arse getting it on. My advise is to buy the OEM hoses, because they will fit 10x better, and be a breeze to install.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a strange leak that started after I had my transmission fixed. It didn't happen right away, so I wasn't sure it was related. It turns out they didn't put all the brackets back that hold the power steering hose in place. After they were put back, the leak went away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I get the chance, I will change that hose and add hose clamps to it on the ends. If it stops leaking I got flush it all out anyways. I'll do it when I get the window regulator I have to install

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,488 Posts
They do have some funky little clamps on the return hoses, but they still worked fine so I reused them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I cut them off and used regular dollar store hose clamps. I put two on there since I used a bigger size and they feel somewhat cheap and dont go on all the way tight if you keep unscrewing them. I gotta double it up on the other side. What a pain.

I pretty much give up on this. It took like two hours to change the #12 hose, they lost the wheel lock, had to do it without the wheel, find a way to cut off clamps, and then I find out another is leaking. I told them to just take it to a cheap shop, and get a good quality replacement hose

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After replacing the hose, it leaks worse than it did before in another location even though I didnt disconnect anything else.

Anyways, Do you have any idea on how much something like this would cost to replace?

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,488 Posts
I would suggest getting new OEM hoses, and clamps. I have no idea how much a dealership, or any other shop would charge. I used my air ratchet to loosen and tighten the clamps, and it worked like a charm. In my experience, aftermarket hoses are NOT the way to go on this.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts