Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up brothers :thmsup:
two weeks ago , i rotated my tires following the manual pattern , today we got hit by a snow storm and it is pretty bad, as im driving back home i noticed my steering wheel was shaking pretty bad , left to right really fast, at 40, 50 mph speed :yes:
so far im leaning toward either getting an alignment and balancing i guess
what do you think it might be the problem ? thanks !

·
1,655 Posts
This may sound crazy, but do you have snow/ice lodged on/inside the wheel? That could throw it seriously out of balance. Been there, done that

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a good point brother, never thought of that , will check on that, I was looking at firestone with their lifetime wheel aligment for 169 dollars, just in case it need an aligment but im not sure if they cover wheel balancing

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Unless you threw a weight, which is unlikely, then your wheels are still balanced.
How confident are you that you did a good job putting the wheels back on? Wheels seated against the hubs correctly? Star pattern and 80 ft pounds? It's always good to re-torque after 50 or so miles too.
I'd take the car to a self wash and clean the wheels of any ice and grime. If the problem persists then you should remove them and reseat.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes doom, I just got back from re tighten my lug nuts with my torque wrench cause I thought they might be loose, but they were fine, I did rotated my tires just like the manual says, I think im just gonna wash it, and see if the problem persists, ive been reading people having similar problems after a snow storm so hopefully its just ice stuck

·
Registered
86 Posts
If there was no vibration immediately after you rotated the tires, you probably have snow/ice lodge on the rims or threw a weight.
If there was vibration, one or both rear tires that was rotated to the front is out of balance. If that is the case, I would rebalance all four tires.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt I threw a weight brother but it may be the case, im leaning towards hopefully its just ice

·
Registered
454 Posts
I was in the same snow storm in NYC, I'm fairly sure it's ice stuck in your wheels that's causing the shaking. Take the time and check your two front wheels and be careful of dislodging your alignment wheel weights, or you will need to get an alignment.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes it must be ice or snow in there. I am from north jersey and i got the same issue today. Clean ur wheel inside and the back of each "spoke" not sure if thats the word lol. It solve my shaking issue :)

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahahah thanks a lot brothers

·
1,655 Posts
BTW, OP. look for a coupon for that Firestone lifetime alignment, making it an even better deal. Can get $25-$30 off routinely upstate.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That will be great bro, but I couldnt find one it says on the website 169 bucks

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot

·
ReP4myCiTy(617)
26 Posts
It could be a wheel weight that feel off? Sounds like a balance issue. The snow/ice thing could be true also.

Off topic question anyone know where to get the best price/cheap tires online? Any discount promo codes =) Thanks

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah im gonna double check tomorrow morning bro

·
Registered
107 Posts
On a side note, wheel shake is not ever alignment. Alignment issues make the car not go straight, and/or wear the tires in a non-standard fashion.

·
v6 powah!
27 Posts
My car threw a weight shortly after I bought it. Heard a noise then immediate vibration. There is residue on the rim where the weight was.

I'm guessing snow/ice or possibly rotating mass came loose. If the problem persist, jack up the car and remove/reinstall each tire.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the tips brothers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts