Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi accorders,

I'm interested in getting a new accord sedan.
A little background, have a ~350whp G37, and a stockish FR S.
I got the frs as a daily, but it's not cutting it. Manual trans was a poor choice with how much traffic commuting I do, and the lack of features is making me go insane. Also didn't realize how much more often I need more space.

Sure it's amazing in the canyons, but I rarely do that, and I take the G to the track.

So..
My big thing is the I4 vs V6.
If the 4 is plenty, as in u can still have a little fun and pass easily on the highway, I'd go for that. If not, then V6. How is the 4 in this regard? Can decent amount of power be unlocked with either? Parts out there yet? If the I4 is plenty, what's better about the accord over the new mazda6?

How is the real world mpgs of both?

How's the handling? Good enough to wanna take the long twisty way home? How's the handling with springs or coils? Better tires? Steering have good feel?

Those who have the touring, does the ACC work effortlessly? Really interested in that.

Do you actually use the lane watch camera?

Audiophiles... 160 peak watt stereo is garbage on paper. Is it that bad? How's the bass?

Advantage of accord over mazda6, TSX?

Anything a new owner should know?

Appreciate any input, save negative comments unless u wanna waste your time.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Honestly, most of your questions can be answered by test driving the Accord. Ask to drive the 4cyl CVT and Manual, 6cyl CVT and Manual (Coupe). That will tell you everything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Def going to be an auto, the stick fr s is one of the Main reasons for a switch.

Good advice for sure, I already test drove the accord sport and touring.
While yes I got a good feel for both, even longer test drives I can't really come to conclusions on these things, and wanted to know opinions of those who actually own the car, and what the thought process was/is.

Kind of like how some days you can drink more than other days,
Sometimes I really dig one aspect of a car and then the next day it's just meh.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Def going to be an auto, the stick fr s is one of the Main reasons for a switch.

Good advice for sure, I already test drove the accord sport and touring.
While yes I got a good feel for both, even longer test drives I can't really come to conclusions on these things, and wanted to know opinions of those who actually own the car, and what the thought process was/is.
You just read through the forums a bit and click on some threads that sound interesting, like "V6 vs I4" etc

But the short answer is to get the V6 if you enjoy performance and smoothness. I don't think I've seen any posters on here who said "I bought the V6 but really wish I had gotten the 4cyl". Seriously.

I HAVE seen a decent number of posters who have said "yeah I like my 4 cyl well enough but if I had to do it again I'd buy the V6"

People get into the 4 cyl because they focus on all the numbers like initial cost and miles per gallon, while denying their intuition that the V6 is really the car they'd prefer from a pure driving standpoint.

·
Banned
47 Posts
You just read through the forums a bit and click on some threads that sound interesting, like "V6 vs I4" etc

But the short answer is to get the V6 if you enjoy performance and smoothness. I don't think I've seen any posters on here who said "I bought the V6 but really wish I had gotten the 4cyl". Seriously.

I HAVE seen a decent number of posters who have said "yeah I like my 4 cyl well enough but if I had to do it again I'd buy the V6"

People get into the 4 cyl because they focus on all the numbers like initial cost and miles per gallon, while denying their intuition that the V6 is really the car they'd prefer from a pure driving standpoint.
:lmao: a workable solution might be to get both, lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Answers to your concerns (in my opinion) are in red:

How is the real world mpgs of both?
Both the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder are excellent in MPG. The 4 cyl. is going to be slightly better but in terms of the output of power the 6 cyl. is the better option.

How's the handling? Good enough to wanna take the long twisty way home? How's the handling with springs or coils? Better tires? Steering have good feel?
I have the coupe and I feel it handles curves and sharp turns well at high speeds but by no means does it compare the mustang/camaro/corvette's of the world.

Those who have the touring, does the ACC work effortlessly? Really interested in that.
Unfortunately I have a 2013 4 cyl. Coupe

Do you actually use the lane watch camera?
All the time. It's extremely benificial on the highway. It took me a few weeks to "trust" it however it has three depth lines and I find myself never using the side mirror or even looking over my shoulder to switch lanes. (well, switching to my right at least).

Audiophiles... 160 peak watt stereo is garbage on paper. Is it that bad? How's the bass?
The stock audio sucks. I have the EX-L and have read a trick on here where you hold VOL+DISP+BACK and it takes you to a prompt. From there hold the MENU button for three seconds and it shows a lits of options in what's called the Developer screen. Find DPS setting. Your "FLAT" is OFF and it needs to be turned on. Once on, it sounds like you have an audio system you can be proud of with enough bass that rattles your rear view and side view mirrors.

Advantage of accord over mazda6, TSX?
I would say the equivilant year of a TSX is always going to offer more. I don't like mazda at all. The '13 Accord interior makes it very fun to drive and not to mention the new Apple Siri "eyes free" integration that Honda is rolling out.

Anything a new owner should know?
I bought a '13 but wish I would have waited to get the '14 just because they say the first year of a redesign will always have it's flaws and Honda has had a whole year now to work the kinks out.

Overall...if I could do it over again, I would have bought the V6. Don't waste your money with the navigation edition...horrendous.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.
I have been doing a lot of reading on here but some of my questions I couldn't find solid answers.

I guess another test drive could answer this, but didn't get to try- with lane watch, does the camera view extend to the lane opposite the one you're merging into? Is it's depth far enough to see cars coming up behind far away but at a faster clip? Because I'd think if no to either question, one would still have to look to the right.

As far as handling.. I guess my question is basically if anyone here drives it on spirited runs in canyons, on the track, etc. also if the handling can get a lot better with suspension mods.

Def. leaning towards the V6.. Just wanted to see if everyone would chime in to say the I4 is plenty. But yeah, it's gonna be the V6.

And really interested on thoughts on the adaptive cruise.

Ty all!
The TSX actually comes significantly less equipped than a loaded accord other than the audio, due to it being at the end of its car cycle. But it obviously has brand cachet, luxury warranty and dealer service, and actually is really sporty. Mostly due to it being smaller.
Glad to hear the audio isn't bad.

Accord sitting at my number one choice right now. Last minute question asking and then should have a nice honda to drive here in a few days :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Honestly, most of your questions can be answered by test driving the Accord. Ask to drive the 4cyl CVT and Manual, 6cyl CVT and Manual (Coupe). That will tell you everything.
I loled at that
:lmao:

·
Luv2Drum
119 Posts
The stock audio sucks. I have the EX-L and have read a trick on here where you hold VOL+DISP+BACK and it takes you to a prompt. From there hold the MENU button for three seconds and it shows a lits of options in what's called the Developer screen. Find DPS setting. Your "FLAT" is OFF and it needs to be turned on. Once on, it sounds like you have an audio system you can be proud of with enough bass that rattles your rear view and side view mirrors.

First I've heard of this !! Let me promptly go try ! Thanks :banana:

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.
I have been doing a lot of reading on here but some of my questions I couldn't find solid answers.

I guess another test drive could answer this, but didn't get to try- with lane watch, does the camera view extend to the lane opposite the one you're merging into? Is it's depth far enough to see cars coming up behind far away but at a faster clip? Because I'd think if no to either question, one would still have to look to the right.

As far as handling.. I guess my question is basically if anyone here drives it on spirited runs in canyons, on the track, etc. also if the handling can get a lot better with suspension mods.

Def. leaning towards the V6.. Just wanted to see if everyone would chime in to say the I4 is plenty. But yeah, it's gonna be the V6.

And really interested on thoughts on the adaptive cruise.

Ty all!
The TSX actually comes significantly less equipped than a loaded accord other than the audio, due to it being at the end of its car cycle. But it obviously has brand cachet, luxury warranty and dealer service, and actually is really sporty. Mostly due to it being smaller.
Glad to hear the audio isn't bad.

Accord sitting at my number one choice right now. Last minute question asking and then should have a nice honda to drive here in a few days :)
Will your answer to the question on LaneWatch impact your decision? No it won't.

You'll find some that say the i4 is "enough" but I can already tell that you will buy the V6, and you know it too. You'll like the LED DRLs and dual exhaust, too, I can tell.

First I've heard of this !! Let me promptly go try ! Thanks :banana:
The DSP Flat setting is hailed by some as the second coming of Christ. I don't hear it myself, but maybe you will.

Let us know what you think.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I might also have done the V6 too but the 4 is a good choice.

Check the comfort of the front passenger seat if you have a wife that is going to yak and complain about sitting there. She would have good reason to because it is low, poorly angled, and does not adjust up. Spend some time there on the test drive.

It is a "4 way" power (oooh) seat, even on the touring which is 40 year old tech. My '79 Buick had a height adjust. If you ride solo, it does not matter.

The premium stereo is pretty inadequate.

I don't have the ACC but the non radar based FCW is pretty useless. Some think it works great, I don't.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Overall...if I could do it over again, I would have bought the V6

Same here. Most of the time I find myself shifting/Revving high to catch up with other cars. Engine sound like its diesel not even as smooth as older accords

·
Luv2Drum
119 Posts
The DSP Flat setting is hailed by some as the second coming of Christ. I don't hear it myself, but maybe you will.

Let us know what you think.
Meh'

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will your answer to the question on LaneWatch impact your decision? No it won't.

You'll find some that say the i4 is "enough" but I can already tell that you will buy the V6, and you know it too. You'll like the LED DRLs and dual exhaust, too, I can tell.
Yeah, gonna get the V6, just wanted to see if people were gonna say they got the V6 but felt the I4 would've been fine. Esp. Since you reminded me that the exL v6 comes with more stuff like u mentioned that the 4banger exL doesn't. I might be wrong, but before this car I always thought Hondas I4 and V6 EXL trims were identical apart from the engine.

No the lane watch question won't really impact my choice, but while I'm asking questions on the car, might as well ask a question that I'd like to know from owners if/once I have the car, although in the end I'll find out I guess.

My biggest concern is how fun it is to drive/it's handling. Although I will test drive it once more no matter what, if I feel it's not fun to drive in the twisties (doesn't have to be very fast in them, but just fun, and of course relatively and in context), and people here agree, and say there's not huge gain possible with mods, then I will pass on the accord :/ hence why TSX and mazda6 are next choices.

I might also have done the V6 too but the 4 is a good choice.

Check the comfort of the front passenger seat if you have a wife that is going to yak and complain about sitting there. She would have good reason to because it is low, poorly angled, and does not adjust up. Spend some time there on the test drive.

It is a "4 way" power (oooh) seat, even on the touring which is 40 year old tech. My '79 Buick had a height adjust. If you ride solo, it does not matter.

The premium stereo is pretty inadequate.

I don't have the ACC but the non radar based FCW is pretty useless. Some think it works great, I don't.
Thanks for the advice, I def. will do that. Dont mind the 4 way, I rarely use more than the 4 main ones for myself. Luckily (or not?) I don't have a wife yet. :banana::banana:

Edit: take that back, I use the height adjustment often

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
A car with LED lights is so much funnier to drive, GO TOURING GO

ok ok people install them on their Sports but still, PIANO BLACK PILLARS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

People install the LED low beam headlights in their halogen headlight accords?
Or are you talking about the daytime running lights... Lol

The touring has full LED headlights. And yes it makes it that much more fun to drive.

Really, I'm only into the touring for the cruise control. More fun to drive no, but could make a lot of commutes much more relaxing and pleasant.
I'm also a fan of in car navi and HDD music storage.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Whenever I drive our EX-L V6, I am amazed by how much more "refined" it feels as compared to my e90 335i. Admittedly, the latter is much more fun, but Accord would be a great DD for ya. I am very happy with the Accord V-6.

Funnier or Funner to drive? Or both?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
People install the LED low beam headlights in their halogen headlight accords?
Or are you talking about the daytime running lights... Lol
They swap the headlights for the touring ones

1 - 20 of 65 Posts