Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 Accord (4 CL) with just over 105K miles and brought it into the shop this week for a routine checkup (in addition to fixing a few known issues). I am using a local shop that specializes in Japanese cars, particularly Hondas. They informed me that my tires are scalloped and they believe it is because my struts are weak and need to be replaced. It's going to cost over $1000 if I elect to have this repair done.

I know very little about cars, so can someone here help me with understanding why I need this done? And IF I need it done, am I at the right place, or should I take my car to a place that specializes in alignments? Is this pricing fair? I have read elsewhere in these forums that the struts shouldn't need replacement in Hondas, but I'm not sure if this applies to my particular vehicle.

Additionally, they say I need new spark plugs. They say I should use the platinum plugs and are asking $153 to replace them. My husband knows his way around a car a bit better than I do and thinks he can do this himself. I know that the price of the spark plugs isn't much if we bought them, but what's the level of effort for getting to the spark plugs in an '03 Accord? Is it worth the hassle or worth the money?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
if its going to cost you 1k I would say get some used coilovers, new tires, and a camber kit. Your car tires are pretty messed up because either you have a lot of camber * I mean -3 or more* or your toe is really off. When was the last time you had an alignment?

153 is way too much for platiunum plugs.. Use irinium only. *spelling?* its like 8-10 a plug and takes 1 hr to do a v6 and 30mins to do a i4.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Do the spark plugs yourself, but do NOT use platinum- use the stock Iridium. There are write-ups on the forum you can use as guides.

Honda's are still cars, they still need the shocks replaced once they wear out, however $1000 is way too much imo. Ask them to show you said scalloping; if you can obviously see a problem feel free to take a picture and post it for further advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, I have no idea when my last alignment was. Probably about 2 years ago when I got my new tires.

I'll work on getting pictures of the scalloping and share later.

It sounds like DIY is the way to go on spark plugs. Just in case, is there a place I can find some sort of instructions on that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts