Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the strut tower brace from the sport onto an LX model yet? It seems it would be worth the $37 if it can be done!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet, I'm ordering it today!

·
Registered
842 Posts
does this strut brace really do anything? seems a bit flimsy... but looks nice.
I'm curious about this too. I'm completely clueless when it comes to suspension mods, but I'd be thrilled to find some relatively inexpensive ways to improve the cornering in my LX. My old Camry hugged the curves better than this, and that's obviously not saying much. I might put in some larger wheels at some point, but probably not until it's time for new tires.

I know I should read through the suspension thread, but it's a bit daunting on all except the slowest of days.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I thought I read in another thread the tops of the strut towers where different on the LX so it wouldn't be a direct bolt on. Still, for $40 it's not that big of a deal to give it a try.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Take it off, you will feel a difference instantly when corner. Car feels flimsy and loose without it.
i installed one on my 08 lx and never felt a difference at all.

to the op:
the 08 lx has different strut towers than the other models. im not sure if the 2013 LX has the bolts where the strut towers mount too.

you need to check under your hood to see if your strut towers have the needed bolts to add the strut bar

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm curious about this too. I'm completely clueless when it comes to suspension mods, but I'd be thrilled to find some relatively inexpensive ways to improve the cornering in my LX. My old Camry hugged the curves better than this, and that's obviously not saying much. I might put in some larger wheels at some point, but probably not until it's time for new tires.

I know I should read through the suspension thread, but it's a bit daunting on all except the slowest of days.
You should also look into upgrading the rear sway bar. It's easily the best ~$80 I have ever spent.

Check this thread out for more info:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76953

·
2013 Accord Sedan LX Wht.
61 Posts
Part Number?

Anyone have the part number of the strut tower brace from the sport.? Thank you.

·
Registered
842 Posts
You should also look into upgrading the rear sway bar. It's easily the best ~$80 I have ever spent.

Check this thread out for more info:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76953
Thanks for the link. I've heard a few rumblings about sway bars, so I'll definitely look into it. I'd gladly pay ~$125 between that and the strut bar to get some flatter cornering. I'll wait and see what the OP thinks before buying my own, but I'm definitely interested.

Also, I would imagine torque specs are an important detail. As far as I know, the shop manual isn't out yet. Before I think about unbolting the struts to put one of these in, does anyone know where I could find the torque specs for them?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Take it off, you will feel a difference instantly when cornering. Car feels flimsy and loose without it.
Well that's good. I'd hope if it was there, Honda wouldn't put it there for appearances. Not exactly a vanity brand. I had a neuspeed in the past, and the difference was solid on the front end rigidity.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
61 Posts
Thank you I found it under a section that I did not expect it to be. I ordered it yesterday. Anyone have the torque setting for the strut mount nuts? Why can Honda not print a repair manual by now. This is my first new car and that part is bugging the crap out of me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you I found it under a section that I did not expect it to be. I ordered it yesterday. Anyone have the torque setting for the strut mount nuts? Why can Honda not print a repair manual by now. This is my first new car and that part is bugging the crap out of me.
Me too. But it looks as if Honda has all repair instructions available only electronically to technicians at the dealership. I asked my parts guy about a repair manual on CD and they said there is not one available for purchase at this time. I guess I won't worry about it too much because I won't be needing to do any repairs for a very long time.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Me too. But it looks as if Honda has all repair instructions available only electronically to technicians at the dealership. I asked my parts guy about a repair manual on CD and they said there is not one available for purchase at this time. I guess I won't worry about it too much because I won't be needing to do any repairs for a very long time.
Use the 8G service manual. A bolt is a bolt for the most part, and the 9G isn't that much different from the 8G.

Unfortunately I don't know the strut tower torque off the top of my head, since a torque wrench wasn't an option with the UR brace (couldn't fit the head).

EDIT: 8G is 41 lb-ft for the damper mounting bolts and 16 lb-ft for the brace mounting bolts (with the LX you don't have separate brace mounting bolts, so you'd tighten all 3 to 41).

·
61 Posts
I don't know my Accords but I was under the impression that the 9th generation was the first to use standard up front strut layout with strut bearings. 8 Generation had the wishbone front???

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know my Accords but I was under the impression that the 9th generation was the first to use standard up front strut layout with strut bearings. 8 Generation had the wishbone front???
Correct.....

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Correct.....
Yep. I was wrong on that one. MacPherson on 9G, double wishbone on 8G (seems you still get the same axial load on the damper bolts...).

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hey Accord2014LX, how did this work out for you?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts