Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Strut Tower Brace from Sport on LX

13K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Jeffjeeptj 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed the strut tower brace from the sport onto an LX model yet? It seems it would be worth the $37 if it can be done!

#3 ·
Sweet, I'm ordering it today!

#5 ·
I'm curious about this too. I'm completely clueless when it comes to suspension mods, but I'd be thrilled to find some relatively inexpensive ways to improve the cornering in my LX. My old Camry hugged the curves better than this, and that's obviously not saying much. I might put in some larger wheels at some point, but probably not until it's time for new tires.

I know I should read through the suspension thread, but it's a bit daunting on all except the slowest of days.

#6 ·
I thought I read in another thread the tops of the strut towers where different on the LX so it wouldn't be a direct bolt on. Still, for $40 it's not that big of a deal to give it a try.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Thank you I found it under a section that I did not expect it to be. I ordered it yesterday. Anyone have the torque setting for the strut mount nuts? Why can Honda not print a repair manual by now. This is my first new car and that part is bugging the crap out of me.

#15 ·
Me too. But it looks as if Honda has all repair instructions available only electronically to technicians at the dealership. I asked my parts guy about a repair manual on CD and they said there is not one available for purchase at this time. I guess I won't worry about it too much because I won't be needing to do any repairs for a very long time.

#18 ·
Correct.....

#23 ·
It didn't. The LX has a different strut tower setup than the rest of the trim levels do. The sport/touring/ex/exl have 2 studs welded in on each tower to accomodate this bar. Unfortunately, the parts diagrams do not differentiate this. I assume since Honda wasnt going to install, it was a cost savings thing if you take into account how many vehicles per year they build. Several thousand $$ more than likely.

Best thing to do if you're not sure if something fits is get chummy with your Honda parts guy and ask him what he thinks. Unless you do you risk having to repay a 10% restocking fee as I did.

#26 ·
Like I said, it's a cost saving initiative for manufacturing. Think of how much time it takes to drill the holes in each tower, the cost of the fasteners for the brace and the welding step for the fasteners. Multiply the cost of that by the number of cars they make every year. There is your answer, thousands of dollars saved.

#27 ·
As a Honda newby, i went out with a photo of a sport engine compartment. I agree the strut bolts are not there on my LX. It looks and feels like one could drill holes in the towers and through bolt the strut in place. Would not be as easy to remove as with welded studs.
I do see the part numbers for the "sheet metal" are different LX to higher grades, but the part numbers for the strut upper mounting pieces is the same.

Has anyone actually placed the bar on location to check curvature?

Thanks in advance.

#28 ·
And, could someone put their hand under the fender and feel what is under the mounting location. Maybe. A picture. I am wondering if H uses thicker metal of a "doubler".
On my LX, i can clearly feel the hump in the metal, next to the strut bolts.

Thanks in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.