Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
03 Accord LX, sedn.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just around 300,000 miles I did some Suspension and Steering upgrades. The biggest problem was I ordered 4 complete strut assemblies and found out what I got was for a V6 car application ours is a 4 cyl. car and YES I did order parts for our 4 cyl. car. The outcome was the ride was like ridding on a BUCK BOARD. My biggest problem was I through out the old struts, I did go Bone Yard hunting to find a set of old struts and springs to get back the original ride feeling. So far so good.
When I ordered the replacement struts they were bought from Rock Auto per my cars specs 03 Accord 4 cyl. They were the Gabriel Strut, Coil Spring and Mount Assemblies. Gabriel did finally acknowledge (seven months later) that they did design there struts system for V6 cars and not for 4 cyl. cars so in the long run all V6 cars ride like they should and the 4 cyl cars ride like "c r a p" or like the way I explain the ride like ridding on a BUCK BOARD. Kinda $ u c k $ I had to find out the hard way.
Has any body else had the same problem as I had. Don't be shy I spilled my guts out so can you, LOL

PS, the OEM replacement strut assemblies at the Dealer were - front's over $350 ea and rears at $280 ea. That's why I went aftermarket.

·
ziptie princess
2,139 Posts
the hell is a "buck board"

fun fact: the shocks all interchange between 4-cyl/v6 and the difference is going to be in spring rates (particularly front). no manufacturer is going to make v6 or 4-cylinder specific oem replacement shocks, because at that price point and for most people (you included) it doesn't matter.

the reason you got a softer ride from junkyard shocks and springs is because... they're worn. obviously.

·
Registered
2005 Accord EX
104 Posts
the hell is a "buck board"

fun fact: the shocks all interchange between 4-cyl/v6 and the difference is going to be in spring rates (particularly front). no manufacturer is going to make v6 or 4-cylinder specific oem replacement shocks, because at that price point and for most people (you included) it doesn't matter.

the reason you got a softer ride from junkyard shocks and springs is because... they're worn. obviously.
A buck board is a horse-driven wagon which had a spring-mounted board to sit on up front. It is called a buck board because it is not the most comfortable thing to ride in.

I agree with the difference being the spring rates and the heavier engine up front would matter most. Hard to imagine purchasing the right struts and getting something different. Buying struts from junkyards makes zero sense.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,582 Posts
... Gabriel did finally acknowledge (seven months later) that they did design there struts system for V6 cars and not for 4 cyl. cars ....
Come on! It makes 0 sense, simply because the majority of Accords are 4 cylinder.
Accord 03-05 has exactly the same strut on both V6 and i4. They started listed different part number for 06-07 V6, but when I replaced mine with KYB, they didn't distinguish V6 and i4 either.

It's hard to have found out a NEW lesson after 20 years. Frankly, I think the crappy struts you have, nothing to do with V6 or i4.

·
Registered
03 Accord LX, sedn.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A buck board is a horse-driven wagon which had a spring-mounted board to sit on up front. It is called a buck board because it is not the most comfortable thing to ride in.

I agree with the difference being the spring rates and the heavier engine up front would matter most. Hard to imagine purchasing the right struts and getting something different. Buying struts from junkyards makes zero sense.
In 2018 the Dealer told me I-4 and V-6 cars complete Strut System had Different part numbers for I-4 & V-6 both auto trans cars.
Fast forward 2022 the same Dealer says I-4 & V-6 auto trans cars share the same strut systems no matter the difference's in motors.
Back track to 2018 while talking to Gabriel they don't make coil springs for there complete struts system they use someone else's coils to use with there over all complete strut system. So yes for all "Probability" the coils would make a difference. Now on the other hand "MOOG" does make different coils for I-4 & V-6 cars, them being "purpose" built.
NOW for your last line "zero sense" getting 4 bone yard strut assemblies which all I wanted was the coil springs was less expensive then buying new coils.

Come on! It makes 0 sense, simply because the majority of Accords are 4 cylinder.
Accord 03-05 has exactly the same strut on both V6 and i4. They started listed different part number for 06-07 V6, but when I replaced mine with KYB, they didn't distinguish V6 and i4 either.

It's hard to have found out a NEW lesson after 20 years. Frankly, I think the crappy struts you have, nothing to do with V6 or i4.
According to a local Dealer my 03 Accord I-4, auto trans there strut assemblies had Different numbers in (2018) on each box for 4 cyl and V-6 cars - rears was same numbers But the fronts did have different numbers.

For my bone yard "crappy struts" you have so eloquently have stated they are from Monroe and "miraculously" the ride has changed for the better at least for now! So yes Monroe did make there strut system with specifically different coil ratings (outsourced coils) on I-4 & V-6 cars

·
ziptie princess
2,139 Posts
wild reference to use in 2022

In 2018 the Dealer told me I-4 and V-6 cars complete Strut System had Different part numbers for I-4 & V-6 both auto trans cars.
Fast forward 2022 the same Dealer says I-4 & V-6 auto trans cars share the same strut systems no matter the difference's in motors.
Back track to 2018 while talking to Gabriel they don't make coil springs for there complete struts system they use someone else's coils to use with there over all complete strut system. So yes for all "Probability" the coils would make a difference. Now on the other hand "MOOG" does make different coils for I-4 & V-6 cars, them being "purpose" built.
NOW for your last line "zero sense" getting 4 bone yard strut assemblies which all I wanted was the coil springs was less expensive then buying new coils.
trying to parse this boomerposting made my brain hurt but listen:

a "strut system" would include springs, and with different spring rates between the two engines you'd get two different part numbers. over time those were likely superseded by a single part number, likely whichever one cost honda the least to make, because again, for 90% of customers it does not make enough of a difference to matter.

tbh the spring rates are probably not far enough apart to even make a difference here (it would mostly cause an i4 car with v6 springs to have a goofy ride height), the problem is that you are expecting the same ride quality from new springs and shocks as the ones you were replacing, which had 300k miles on them??? bruh

·
Registered
03 Accord LX, sedn.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wild reference to use in 2022

trying to parse this boomerposting made my brain hurt but listen:

a "strut system" would include springs, and with different spring rates between the two engines you'd get two different part numbers. over time those were likely superseded by a single part number, likely whichever one cost honda the least to make, because again, for 90% of customers it does not make enough of a difference to matter.

tbh the spring rates are probably not far enough apart to even make a difference here (it would mostly cause an i4 car with v6 springs to have a goofy ride height), the problem is that you are expecting the same ride quality from new springs and shocks as the ones you were replacing, which had 300k miles on them??? bruh
When you are the "Original Owners" of a car you know when something is wrong or in this "instance" the buck Board Ride its a very "drastically" different change to what your used to.
The ride height never changed much if at all when the V-6 stuff was in JUST the smoothness changed or went away to that Buck Board ride. At 300,000 miles the Original struts were fine to good it was only two struts started to leak fluid out so I changed them out.
What is " bruh" mean ??????

·
ziptie princess
2,139 Posts
do you genuinely not understand that there would be a difference in ride quality between new shocks/springs and a set that are 21 years old with 300k miles on them and that this change would happen gradually over that period?

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,582 Posts
According to a local Dealer my 03 Accord I-4, auto trans there strut assemblies had Different numbers in (2018) on each box for 4 cyl and V-6 cars - rears was same numbers But the fronts did have different numbers.
Then, you local Honda dealer was wrong.
According to Honda parts website, for 2003-2005, there is no difference between V6 and I4. The part numbers for strut assembly are:

51601-SDA-A21
51602-SDA-A32
52610-SDA-A02

Only 2006/2007, i4 and v6 have separate part numbers.

·
Registered
03 Accord LX, sedn.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
do you genuinely not understand that there would be a difference in ride quality between new shocks/springs and a set that are 21 years old with 300k miles on them and that this change would happen gradually over that period?
When this car was new it rode NOTHING let me say it again it rode NOTHING like when the new BUCK BOARD setup was installed that was my point. I'm done here.

Then, you local Honda dealer was wrong.
According to Honda parts website, for 2003-2005, there is no difference between V6 and I4. The part numbers for strut assembly are:

51601-SDA-A21
51602-SDA-A32
52610-SDA-A02

Only 2006/2007, i4 and v6 have separate part numbers.
In 2018 I-4 and V-6 2003 Accords w/auto trans had separate set of numbers they were not the same. I'm also done here.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,582 Posts
In 2018 I-4 and V-6 2003 Accords w/auto trans had separate set of numbers they were not the same. I'm also done here.
In 2018? but not in 2022? This is border line superstition of some sort for something well known.
Not sure what you are trying to say. 2003~2005 Accords uses the same struts, springs, since forever to now. that is a fact. You can lookup online resources to confirm.

The curb weight difference between 2003 V6 and i4 is only 250lb. Basically, you are trying to say that by carrying an 250lb dude, the Gabriel struts will be satisfactory, but once the dude gets out, your car becomes bumpy. LOL, never heard of things like that.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,582 Posts
On a 20-year old car, someone tried to educate us with his new discovery, nothing to backup his claims, simply makes no sense. Ever graduated from highschool?

·
Registered
03 Accord LX, sedn.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In 2018? but not in 2022? This is border line superstition of some sort for something well known.
Not sure what you are trying to say. 2003~2005 Accords uses the same struts, springs, since forever to now. that is a fact. You can lookup online resources to confirm.

The curb weight difference between 2003 V6 and i4 is only 250lb. Basically, you are trying to say that by carrying an 250lb dude, the Gabriel struts will be satisfactory, but once the dude gets out, your car becomes bumpy. LOL, never heard of things like that.

FLUSH

you're wasting your time, they're done here

FLUSH

On a 20-year old car, someone tried to educate us with his new discovery, nothing to backup his claims, simply makes no sense. Ever graduated from highschool?
FLUSH FLUSH, DID YOU EVER GRADUATE FROM PRE sCHOOL ?

FLUSH FLUSH, PRESCHOOLERS GOT TO LOVE THEM.

·
Registered
03 Accord LX, sedn.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm glad it got closed for further discussions as two of the three members posting seem to enjoy - B ! t c h slapping me for what I said and did, my thread was called * * Struts change out "Problems" * * in the "Wheels, Suspension & Brakes" section.
All I was trying to do was ask a question about my experience with the changing out of parts and what happened after.
Sorry I didn't TAPE my two conversations with Honda Dealer and Gabriel to have for a BACKUP testimony for those NON BELIEVERS who trashed me.
I never talked bad about any member here that's a fact and I certainly didn't deserve being called a Liar either.
Seems as some of this Forums members think they know it all and others like my self are dumb just because of a Crazy incident that happened to them in the way it did.
Not everyone on the other end of the phone call * * these days * * is fully educated on his/her job position/description " that's a fact ".
There's always bad apples found everywhere just like the ones I found here. The facts speak for themselves.
I came here to find an answer to my initial question but got sucker punched, is this the way these forum members make friends. There first impression s u c k s in my book!
MJ.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.