Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2005 accord v6 6 speed has 2 main issues. 1st being my clutch makes a loud clicking noise similar to rod knock but when you take off it or accelerate in gear it goes away. Someone diagnosed it as the throw out bearing. I was planning on getting a stage 2 eBay clutch kit, but my other problem is that my struts are pretty bad. On hard acceleration it makes a loud thumping noise when I let off. It’s from the passenger front and rear of the car. I was just wanting to get a double take on what I should do

· 2015 accord sport
163 Posts
So my 2005 accord v6 6 speed has 2 main issues. 1st being my clutch makes a loud clicking noise similar to rod knock but when you take off it or accelerate in gear it goes away. Someone diagnosed it as the throw out bearing. I was planning on getting a stage 2 eBay clutch kit, but my other problem is that my struts are pretty bad. On hard acceleration it makes a loud thumping noise when I let off. It’s from the passenger front and rear of the car. I was just wanting to get a double take on what I should do
Well regarding the clutch you need repair it? repair what? you need to take it apart to see what’s going on, sees what is damaged but since you have the transmission apart you might as well replace everything like throw out bearing, pressure plate and the clutch. Anytime I replace a clutch disc I replace all 3 items since I have it apart.
same with the struts, get under there and see if anything is loose or damaged, it may be something needs to be tighten, anything else from this forum is just guesses.
good luck

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well regarding the clutch you need repair it? repair what? you need to take it apart to see what’s going on, sees what is damaged but since you have the transmission apart you might as well replace everything like throw out bearing, pressure plate and the clutch. Anytime I replace a clutch disc I replace all 3 items since I have it apart.
same with the struts, get under there and see if anything is loose or damaged, it may be something needs to be tighten, anything else from this forum is just guesses.
good luck
Well if I shift hard with it and release the clutch fast, it likes to slip like the clutch is is bad, but when I try to see if it slips regardless it’s perfectly fine. Also with 3k rpm or higher shifts, the clutch pedal likes to soften. Which leads me to believe that the previous owner never replaced the throw out bearing. I’ll have it on a lift hopefully soon

· Ken
402 Posts
The slipping might also be a built-in feature of the clutch delay valve in the slave cylinder. It's job is to reduce shock to the drivetrain and smooth out shifts at the cost of clutch life (and shift speed). Not to say your issues are not valid but it's just another thing to consider before diving into a clutch job.

However it does sound like you have other related issues too. If replacing the clutch, I'd recommend replacing everything else (ie bearings, rear main seal, etc.) while you have the car apart as @johnk_11 mentioned above.

I'd probably focus on the clutch first if funds are an issue. You can still drive on shot struts, not so much on a bad clutch (or related).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts