Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
07 V6 EX-L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to cut the bolt and any recommendations to get the half bolt loose? I guess i accidentally spilled some water in the trunk and totally forgot about it later on.
Can I thread two nuts on it and wrench it out? What size of the thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Pilot without a plane
251 Posts
Oh that looks familiar. I had water seeping in my trunk and didn't know it. My bolt seized and then broke off when I tried to unscrew it. You may be able to spray some PB Blaster on it and work it out, but I doubt it.

I fixed my trunk flooding problem and just put in a full size spare. It just lays there not bolted down, but it doesn't mind. My trunk carpet sticks up a couple inches now, but it's worth it to me to be back up to highway speed if I get a flat.

Check your trunk after car washes and rain to see if it's still getting wet. Took me awhile to find my problem. Water came in by my left taillight.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
65 Posts
Maybe soak with some penetrating oil over a night or two, vice grips, maybe carefully apply some heat? Possibly weld a nut onto the bolt and then use that to turn it/break it free?

Maybe just put threads on what you have left over and find another way to secure the spare (e.g. like a washer and wing nut type of design)

·
Registered
250 Posts
You'll have to soak it in penetrating oil overnight and vice grips may still slip while trying to remove it. Best way would be to get a stud remover similar to the picture which bites harder as you try to turn the stud.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
07 V6 EX-L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll have to soak it in penetrating oil overnight and vice grips may still slip while trying to remove it. Best way would be to get a stud remover similar to the picture which bites harder as you try to turn the stud.

Thanks. I will try it over the weekend. I also had a stripped bolt on the engine air filter.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks. I will try it over the weekend. I also had a stripped bolt on the engine air filter.

Do you have a picture? That will probably be most easily resolved by getting the part from a junkyard

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If you find that thing is in there good, or just decide to leave it alone: Drill and tap a hole in it, use a smaller diameter bolt to hold down the spare.

·
Registered
07 V6 EX-L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some updates after only two minutes try. I was using a vise grip and turn it back and forth. All the sudden I felt it was loose. And it turned out that the nut welded to the base was rusted so bad and became detached. Well, I am gonna leave it as is, and use a long zip tie to secure the tire. Saved at least $30 to buy additional tools and parts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Zip-tie to the rescue. I had a $600 car that was held together by zip-ties, bailing wire, and duct tape. Just keep an old pair of wire cutters back there so you can cut the zip-tie when you need to change a flat tire. Not that you would have been able to before that either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts