Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gurus,

This is about what I did by mistake today and I'm so concerned about this.

- To merge express way from small road, I downshifted D3
- I waited until the speed is around 60mph
- I upshifted to D but by mistake, it went to N. O.M.G!!!
- The RPM was going crazy and the gauge hits at redline
- I suddenly shifted to D but for 1-2 second, the car was on that status.

Is it very harmful? Until now, it looks fine but I'm still worrying.
My car is Accord 09' LX-P and it has around 13,000 mileage.

Please give me your advice on this or f there is any remedy, please advise
me.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Your fine thats why there a limiter to stop the engine to over rev. Now big problem if you wouldve hit reverse..

·
Overdrive
618 Posts
Now big problem if you wouldve hit reverse..
Uhh no. I've done it while the car is moving at about 40mph. There's a safety feature to prevent it from actually going into reverse. It won't shift into reverse if you're going ~5mph or over.

But, hitting the rev limiter for that short a time didn't do any damage.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
OP,

You are fine, electronic nanny (aka rev. limiter) saved the day.

And this is why people should just let an automatic transmission shift itself, unless you are using it as engine braking on down-grade slope mountain driving........

·
Registered
339 Posts
Like everyone said, you're fine.

I actually did something similar years ago in a different Accord automatic I had. The car was fine after that and even went over 300,000 miles on the odometer before I gave that car away, still in good running condition.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
i drive my AT like a stick when i get bored... sumtimes ive put it in first gear and all of a sudden my engine starts goin bananas lol i look down and the rev limiter saved my ass lol... *shifts to D*

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
you will be fine. theres really no way to over-rev an automatic because of the rev limiter. its the same as if you put your car in neutral and floored it, its just gonna bounce on the limiter. and actually, your engine can handle quite a bit more than the limiter anyways, so you were far from destroying your engine.

the best thing about hondas is their long lasting engines!

·
Registered
851 Posts
no harm done... ive done many stupid things with my old automatic beaters... done soo many neutral drops esp. on my old 95 ford tauras wagon =D fun times haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts