Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Sub and amp installed on Accord Sport

9K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  DevilDogDoc 
#1 ·
So after much research and feedback from this forum I put in a rockford fosgate p300-10. This sub and amp enclosure is shallow and fits nice in the trunk with Velcro and gives me more than enough bass which is always good as I listen to a lot of hip hop. I bought the enclosure on amazon for 173, amp kit for 11, and had someone install the thing and disconnect the amc for 75 total. It's not the best thing out there but even the audio installer was pretty impressed by this little thing and was like for the price you paid it was a steal. I think if your going to listen to a lot of rock or alternative music an under the seat option from sound ordnance is the way to go. Anyways here are some pics! I'll be upgrading the speakers up from to components in the distant future. Thanks guys!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sub and amp enclosure (sorry for not a great view)

Attachments

#3 ·
Still have a lot of trunk room

Attachments

#4 ·
I Have the same exact Sub except the 12in version and I am more that satisfied with it! To me it is $200 will spent. Plenty of bass, but speakers can overpower it with my iPod plugged in and the volume turned all the way up.

I never owned a bass link, but I think this sub can outperform it easily. (300 watt RMS, 20 amp fuse on the box)

#5 ·
Yea I think it's great. The basslink is the same price on amazon but doesn't have very good reliability and this looks like a proper unit. How do you like your 12 I was thinking of exchanging for that since the price bump is like 20 bucks. It just seems a lot bigger and when I talked to crutchfield they said it would be a little better for hip hop for lows but that the 10" would have better control. I'm pretty happy with mine but yea I'm new to this all so I don't know yet what I really want lol.

#8 ·
How do you like your 12 I was thinking of exchanging for that since the price bump is like 20 bucks. It just seems a lot bigger and when I talked to crutchfield they said it would be a little better for hip hop for lows but that the 10" would have better control. I'm pretty happy with mine but yea I'm new to this all so I don't know yet what I really want lol.
From what i read, The loudness is the same, but the 12 is slightly *deeper* due to the larger surface area of the cone on the sub. Also the box is slightly bigger than the 10 in but it will fit in the same exact spot you have your sub in. Also, I bought the sub off ebay (same price as the 10 on Amazon, but no returns) http://www.ebay.com/itm/330991413220

#16 ·
could you use the wires for the stock sub as the speaker level inputs?
I initially tried that, but the sub sounds like crap when I tapped into the car subwoofer wires. I think the crossover for to the stock sub is set way too high. When listening to a song, on the mids and high notes of bass, the sub would basically do nothing and on the lows the sub hit way too hard.

Using the left and right rear speakers solved that problem, as you set the crossover on the sub to your liking and the sub sounds literally 200% better.

(Interesting observation: When I connected the sub to the stock sub wires, The subwoofer did not go crazy with the anc, but when I tapped into the L and R speaker wires, anc has to get disabled.)

#18 ·
I initially tried that, but the sub sounds like crap when I tapped into the car subwoofer wires. I think the crossover for to the stock sub is set way too high. When listening to a song, on the mids and high notes of bass, the sub would basically do nothing and on the lows the sub hit way too hard.

Using the left and right rear speakers solved that problem, as you set the crossover on the sub to your liking and the sub sounds literally 200% better.

(Interesting observation: When I connected the sub to the stock sub wires, The subwoofer did not go crazy with the anc, but when I tapped into the L and R speaker wires, anc has to get disabled.)
I have this exact problem. On those mids/highs, it goes completely quiet. I did try L and R but even though I did get some better quality, it was VERY quiet. Cranking it up to max didn't help (hence I just connected to the stock sub):dunno:

#12 ·
It accepts speaker level input making it really easy. I had it professionally installed because I'm still new to car audio. It's awesome I have my 10" set at half but I kinda want that 12" just because when I listen to hip hop ill expect a bass at a part in a song but won't hear it like I would at home on my computer speaker set up. Am I understanding that difference between a 10 and 12 correctly? Amazon has the 10 at 173 and the 12 at like 183. Awesome deal IMO

#13 ·
It accepts speaker level input making it really easy. I had it professionally installed because I'm still new to car audio. It's awesome I have my 10" set at half but I kinda want that 12" just because when I listen to hip hop ill expect a bass at a part in a song but won't hear it like I would at home on my computer speaker set up. Am I understanding that difference between a 10 and 12 correctly? Amazon has the 10 at 173 and the 12 at like 183. Awesome deal IMO
What exactly do you mean by this bolded part? Are you trying to say/think that a 12 will go lower than a 10? There are more factors than just pure cone area, but in a nutshell yes. Again, it's not that simple, but yes...more cone area usually helps.

I hadn't ever seen these. The price isn't too bad and I'm sure it's more of a midbass module type setup, but still not bad for the price. The box is a little on the large side, but of course that's with the amp in there, but only using 5/8's mdf. If you ever get up to wanting more, you can easily get A LOOOT more without giving up any more depth. Actually, you can gain more output/quality/etc and gain some trunk space back. The box for my 12" IDmax in my '04 TL was/is only 9" deep. Most people build these boxes that aren't tall enough, not long enough and WAY too deep...then complain about trunk space. Use all the width and height you can lol. Obviously depth depends on the sub being used, if it has a vented pole piece, etc...but I won't get into that. Anyways, just wanted to say that it most definitely can be done without giving up a ton of trunk space. I'll likely just use this box in this '13 Accord unless I go with an IB setup

#14 ·
Yea I just wanted something to really just fill in the lack of a sub on the sport. Il be putting in some components up front to help with some bass up front and yea I think for the money I can't complain and can at least justify spending money on this now on my budget haha

#17 ·
I also have the 10 inch version. I am very happy with it.

It sounds great with Polk Audio DB's component and coaxials. I spent agonizing 2 months sound deadening my vehicle. WORTH IT!

#20 ·
I have the p300-10 but it's kinda quiet on the high and mid lows are pretty loud. But did the components up front make it all come together? I think I might return what I got and get a 12inch shallow enclosure in the trunk

Pioneer TS-SWX310 12-Inch Shallow Series Preloaded Enclosure
http://amzn.com/B0013L59V0

And get a separate amp, what do you guys think?

EDIT: I have the sport and tapped into the rear speaker

#21 ·
I also tapped mine into the rear speakers.

I don't know how low you want to go, but the 10 fares really well. It all worked out because the 6.5 inch speakers were also replaced, and the sound deadening/insulation made for very atmospheric sound.

#22 ·
sound deadening is more than i want to do right now. I like the p300-10 but thought if i got a 12 inch shallow enclosure that is something i could keep and never feel was inadequate for years to come. I got the p300-10 for 173, that pioneer enclosed 12 is 129 + 10 for high low converter + another 70 or so for a whatever amp. I'm kind of thinking out loud here as I am still new to all of this. I think it kind of feels like I have more of a really good stock sub than something that I added to the car. Maybe those components later will help.

EDIT: if i just keep my p300-10 and install components up front like polk audio dxi6501s can i tap into the built in amp in the p300-10 or do i need to get a separate amp?

#23 ·
Definitely not sure if you can do that. Polk Audios sound great without an amp because of their high sensitivity.

#25 ·
Is the p300-10 the best for the money or is there something else I can put together that doesn't take a lot of room and I can buy for 200 total?

#27 ·
300rms vs. 200rms would be an inaudible difference.

I would piece something together instead of buying either of those. Can you build a box? I'm not sure how tall our trunk is near the seats, but I can help once I know that. You could EASILY piece something much much better than that for $200ish.

#28 ·
Id rather not build a box, I posted the link to a pioneer shallow box with a 12" in it which was on eBay for 129. But I don't mind buying a premade box and sticking a sub in it. Space and pricing are my only concerns really

And after talking to crutchfield and reading amazon reviews I wouldn't recommend the basslink as it's not very reliable.

#31 ·
I put a 10 in the trunk with a 200 watt amp I had them both for years in my old Jeep and it doesn't seem to hit as hard as it did. I have never wired an amp with a LOC on it I always had Rcas going from the head unit to the amp so I'm not sure if that's the issue or not. Still way better than before bass wise, and the ANC is unplugged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.