Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear deck and sub sound have always been nice and tight (after the software update) and today even small amounts of bass started rattling the sh*t out of my rear deck. Anyone else have this problem? I haven't gone out and looked around the trunk to locate the rattle because I have no patience for that when it's cold. I'll have it in for an oil change in a couple weeks and have it checked into, but thought I would see if any of you are/have had this problem and if you were able to resolve it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same rattle problem… driving me nuts. The trunk springs also seem to be adding to the noise

2013 Accord 4DR EXLV6NAV

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm off today and I finally got around to trying that trick out. I have had a pretty bad rear deck rattle not only from music but driving on most roads; smoothed paved to rocky and it sounded like a snare drum. I work for a felt textile company and I snagged some black polyester felt (which i used for a rear seat cover; a little ghetto but I got 2 messy kids) so I cut off some squares and proceeded to stuff in the holes like the video shows. I havent driven yet to test but I did bump some music and I can confirm there is no rattle at all. I did the audio DSP flat trick so my system is now decent sounding and I had the sub vol turned up to 6+ and I heard nothing but nice bass. Crossing my fingers and when I head out tomorrow to work I'm hoping I will not hear the constant rattle for 20 miles. Will report back.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm off today and I finally got around to trying that trick out. I have had a pretty bad rear deck rattle not only from music but driving on most roads; smoothed paved to rocky and it sounded like a snare drum. I work for a felt textile company and I snagged some black polyester felt (which i used for a rear seat cover; a little ghetto but I got 2 messy kids) so I cut off some squares and proceeded to stuff in the holes like the video shows. I havent driven yet to test but I did bump some music and I can confirm there is no rattle at all. I did the audio DSP flat trick so my system is now decent sounding and I had the sub vol turned up to 6+ and I heard nothing but nice bass. Crossing my fingers and when I head out tomorrow to work I'm hoping I will not hear the constant rattle for 20 miles. Will report back.
Are you guys just filling the 4 oval holes by the trunk light? Obviously our "underdeck" is a different than the Civic in the video. The only other holes that I really noticed are a couple golf ball sized circular holes up by the 2 outside speakers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I only put rags in 2 of the holes...if you stick your finger in the openings you will be able to feel the rear panel. That is where I shoved the rags.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only put rags in 2 of the holes...if you stick your finger in the openings you will be able to feel the rear panel. That is where I shoved the rags.
I'll feel around and see what I can figure out. Called my service guy today to set up oil change for next week and he said they have some material they can use around various contact points to shore up rattles, so I'll probably give them a shot at it and see how it goes. Give them something to work on while the HFL update is installing. :thmsup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did you push then thru the first hole and up at ang angle into the 2nd layer hole? If you just put them in the first hole it won't do anything.

·
Registered
608 Posts
There's a support piece part of the rear deck cover near the center brake light assembly (the center brake light is attached to the plastic cover) that will vertically rub and rattle the decking sheet metal. It's quite nasty but cured with some small pieces of foam. I don't know if you can do it without removing the deck cover.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When my rear deck was rattling, it was the third brake light vibrating against the rear window. First I put a piece a folded up paper to stop the deck from vitrating against the window. I ultimately ended up removing the deck rattler sub completely, as I have a sub in the trunk. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well my felt tricked worked! NO Rattling at all on my trip to work this morning. I'm pissed I didnt do this sooner as it was annoying as hell. You really have to push your material towards the back window. I used a long screw driver to really cram my felt in there.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well my felt tricked worked! NO Rattling at all on my trip to work this morning. I'm pissed I didnt do this sooner as it was annoying as hell. You really have to push your material towards the back window. I used a long screw driver to really cram my felt in there.
Do you have any pics or video of where exactly you put the material?

·
Registered
120 Posts
ImageUploadedByAG Free1387564898.732176.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1387564924.655042.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1387564945.136493.jpg

Those are the holes obviously but you got to get your ass inside the trunk and look up in those holes. You will see the black plastic and you can take a finger and push and thats where you want to wedge/cram your material. Outside of the trunk stick your fingers in those holes and feel for the black plastic and you can push up and look through the window by the brake light and you will see the rear deck lifting up. So once i crammed in my felt i got out of the trunk felt for my material and tried to nudge the felt towards me as much as i could. Its not perfect but it works. just go take a look at it and it will make sense.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
186 Posts
At first I thought it was one of the big holes ... but Its should be the little round hole by the sub ( thr middle hole in the picture) . My friend put his forefinger in their ... and the rattle went away... but its funny that when I put my forefinger in there... it did not work :)) maybe I have a small finger .

when I pushed the black plastic up... the music went off for a few sec. Dont know what was that :(

Attachments

·
PLATINUM PLAYER
82 Posts
Sorry bumping this

I have a 1000 watts going to a 12" sub in a big ported box tuned really low so I have a bigger battle than you "premium stereo package" guys but today I pulled out the rear deck and I feel like I got a new car. That rear deck is unreal. Its not going back in till i figure out how to quiet it down.

I'm thinking strategically placed foam weatherstrip will help, but the brake light might be a separate issue I think not to mention the trunk latch, trunk springs, those decomprssion flaps on the sides behind the rear quarter panels and god knows what else, at least I know im moving some air with this sub =-O

2014 Sport Sedan 6MT

·
Registered
462 Posts
Put some sound deadener on the rear deck and layer it with ensolite foam. That is my plan once I get out of the sub 0 temps.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry bumping this

I have a 1000 watts going to a 12" sub in a big ported box tuned really low so I have a bigger battle than you "premium stereo package" guys but today I pulled out the rear deck and I feel like I got a new car. That rear deck is unreal. Its not going back in till i figure out how to quiet it down.

I'm thinking strategically placed foam weatherstrip will help, but the brake light might be a separate issue I think not to mention the trunk latch, trunk springs, those decomprssion flaps on the sides behind the rear quarter panels and god knows what else, at least I know im moving some air with this sub =-O

2014 Sport Sedan 6MT
I am guessing this is what my servicing dealer might try when I actually have them look into it. I was going to have them try some things the other day when I had it in for oil change, but sounded like they would want to spend a few hours to diagnose, fix, test, repeat. Didn't have the time that day so I plan to take it in another time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts